SkyscraperCity banner

201 - 216 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Plank, I couldn't agree with you more, the existing victorian buildings on the seafront towards Pickie are looking great at the moment. This design is so incongruous with the immediate surroundings and far too imposing for the size of the town itself. This will be a huge opportunity missed for Bangor, a place that should be thriving given (as philips01 says) the rail links (22 mins on the express!) housing, walks, restaurants, pubs, coffee shops. I expect QUB Architecture/Urban Planning students have done Ph.D.'s on Bangor as a case in how to destroy a town centre.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Northern Ireland could soon have its first floating hotel after a businessman announced ambitious plans for a three-star venue on the River Bann.
Seamus Carey is seeking planning permission for a hotel with 36 cabins on a 70-metre Norwegian vessel at his Cranagh Marina Complex in Coleraine. He hopes the hotel would be up and running next summer, with the creation of 50 jobs.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Northern Ireland could soon have its first floating hotel after a businessman announced ambitious plans for a three-star venue on the River Bann.
Seamus Carey is seeking planning permission for a hotel with 36 cabins on a 70-metre Norwegian vessel at his Cranagh Marina Complex in Coleraine. He hopes the hotel would be up and running next summer, with the creation of 50 jobs.

I log onto Bel Tel every day, more & more articles now are on premium access only looking for payment to read - ridiculous

·
13,172 Posts
The Bel Tel has new owners but it’s been crap for years and their journalism isn’t worth paying for IMO.
I log in every day too, and I think it's a pretty weak paper, but in the scheme of things with the Standard and the Manchester Evening News at the top of the 'local' ladder, it's merely mid table.

Newcastle's main paper, the Chronicle [known as the Chronic] is truly appalling. I can't think of a 'story' it's broken for years on the basis of Lord Northcliffe's definition 'News is what somebody somewhere wants to suppress; all the rest is advertising.'

It confines itself to speculation about the football club, 'police blotter' and 20 pubs which have closed down..

It's a problem for all provincial local press, staff cuts and frequently an unhealthy relationship with local councils and businesses. Publish something rude about the council, football club or a local pub chain and you simply lose access.

The upside if that if you are opening a new whelk shop send in a press release and a photograph and it's likely to get published verbatim.

However local city TV channels tend to make local papers look as incisive as the New York Times...

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Would be interested to see a conclusive report on the benefits of these types of developments. From what I can see, they place added stress on the electricity network, pump loads of heat into the atmosphere, all to store gigabyte after gigabyte of shyte. And create minimal jobs. Beyond the prestige of possibly having a big tech name in the country, am I missing something?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Would be interested to see a conclusive report on the benefits of these types of developments. From what I can see, they place added stress on the electricity network, pump loads of heat into the atmosphere, all to store gigabyte after gigabyte of shyte. And create minimal jobs. Beyond the prestige of possibly having a big tech name in the country, am I missing something?
Proximity to the data analysis firms growing and possibly interested in setting up in Belfast, which leads to more money.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yea between Project Kelvin, data centres could attract further firms to the North West. I have read many get stuck in planning hell down south where they probably want to be - so are looking north.

Negatives of course like you say are heat waste and electricity use. But then much of NI's electricity is renewable, and the big firms want to jump on that agenda - and of course - we wouldn't be talking over these forums and the like without such data centres..

201 - 216 of 216 Posts