SkyscraperCity banner

161 - 180 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
What's this obsession with building homes so far out of the city. Same goes all the house building up at Moneyreagh or Carryduff. All these people do is then drive into the city each day because there's no public transport for them. Doesn't make any sense.
Aye, ano plank... I'm not counting me'sen as one of those stevie ferris types as I Glider/Bike it in :angel:

·
Registered
500 Posts
aye i suppose land is cheaper in the N.West, (or included at already as it is Ebrington). But the grant probably helps with financing and things (all guesses).

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
What is happening to Bangor....

Flagship Shopping Centre in Bangor closes

The Flagship in Bangor shut on Tuesday after years of concerns for the centre following numerous shop closures.

It was once home to Argos, Dunnes, Iceland, Co-op, Stewart Miller, PoundWorld, Peacocks and a food court with Burger King and Subway.
Read more at - https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/flagship-bangor-closes-doors-causing-15751887

Need to get the Queen's Parade development started ASAP and stop building these ring road shopping centres and ring road housing estates.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
New £4m Lisburn hotel receives planning green light

THE north's largest hospitality group has received planning approval for a new £4 million Lisburn hotel.

The Beannchor Group, which also operates the Merchant and Bullitt Hotels in Belfast, has been granted planning permission for a 52-bedroom development in Lisburn Square, which is set to create 75 jobs when it opens this autumn.
Read full article at http://www.irishnews.com/business/2...anning-green-light-1556017/?param=ds441rif44T

·
13,172 Posts
A question. I am in Belfast working roughly monthly but Mrs NP and I wanted to spend a day or two in somewhere smallish and rural 2 or 3 pubs, decent restaurant, decent hotel, not too many flags :). We know the area around Belfast > Lisburn > Craigavon [where I also work a bit] quite well so looking for somewhere outside of that corridor.

Any recommendations in the north that we might look at. All advice appreciated :cheers:

·
Registered
50 Posts
A question. I am in Belfast working roughly monthly but Mrs NP and I wanted to spend a day or two in somewhere smallish and rural 2 or 3 pubs, decent restaurant, decent hotel, not too many flags :). We know the area around Belfast > Lisburn > Craigavon [where I also work a bit] quite well so looking for somewhere outside of that corridor.

Any recommendations in the north that we might look at. All advice appreciated :cheers:
Have you tried Moira?
The wife used to live there, very nice, like a poor man's Hillsborough.

Up north? Ballycastle/Ballintoy/Bushmills, drive to them using the scenic route starting in Larne. Comparable to the Monterrey/Carmel/Big Sur drive in California, maybe even better...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Anywhere along the Causeway coastal route would work as Uchimata suggests. Newcastle (not upon Tyne) Armagh or Enniskillen would also be suitable. Carlingford just south of the border is a nice spot although it is a bit choked up with hen and stag parties on the weekends.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts

Had a great time in September down in Pomeroy for a weekend.

Great countryside nearby, it has its own smallish forest, and its about half an hour from Gortin forest park and many great walks in the Sperrins.

Pomeroy itself is very quiet but it is near Donaghmore, which has a couple of decent pubs. Including the Brewers House, which does an absolutely cracking dinner.

·
Registered
500 Posts
If you haven't done the North Coast you really should its worth it with pubs walks great restaurants; and during the week you will have empty beaches to yourself' following the route Uchimata suggests.

If you have done the n.coast then venture to Newcastle for great hill walking, or Enniskillen / wider Fermanagh for lakes, forest walks and great hotels (a bit like cumbria) both with great restaurants and villages. etc.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Another vote for Ballycastle, loads of great pubs, resturants, cafes etc. Bushmills also has a great hotel and a good restaurant. Bushmills is slightly fleggy, but it's a very friendly wee place.

Cushendall is good too.

The coastal drive from Larne to Portrush is amazing.

Failing that, just head to West Donegal.

·
13,172 Posts
Hey thanks guys, some great tips there :cheers:

We've been around Bushmills [a friend actually delivers factory tours there], so Newcastle, Pomeroy, Carlingford, Enniskillen and Moira are sounding good.

161 - 180 of 216 Posts