Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While stuck in traffic every morning, I notice a lot of out state license plates. This really irks me, so many people live in LA for years and never change their plates to California plates. This results in loss revenue for the state. Why doesn't the state do anything about this? I am sick of seeing half the freeways in LA filled with Texas, Florida, Nevada, and other License plates. Am I the only one that feels this way just out of curiosity?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
well for the first 2 months i was here i could not transfer my plates because i could not prove i lived here. i had a hand shake sublet and my job was freelancing threw the web. so i did not have calif plates. not to mention my car insurance would have risen if i was no longer saying i was living in MI.

but dont worry ive got white plates now

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
I remember reading somewhere where you had X amount of time residing in the state you had to change your plates. Unless your here for a quick vacation then there's no need.

·
Banned
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sure this also fairly common in states that former CA residents are moving to as well. This is probably a net zero situation.
I think if you leave California, it would be cheaper to register in the state you go to. We have higher insurance rates, and registering your car in other states is so much cheaper than California.

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
While stuck in traffic every morning, I notice a lot of out state license plates. This really irks me, so many people live in LA for years and never change their plates to California plates. This results in loss revenue for the state. Why doesn't the state do anything about this? I am sick of seeing half the freeways in LA filled with Texas, Florida, Nevada, and other License plates. Am I the only one that feels this way just out of curiosity?
Uh, they could just be tourists...

But if they are transplants and they move here and aren't registering as CA vehicles after 10 days, then that must make them ILLEGALS!!!

·
Banned
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Uh, they could just be tourists...

But if they are transplants and they move here and aren't registering as CA vehicles after 10 days, then that must make them ILLEGALS!!!

I see the same cars everyday when I take the 101 N to West Hills...Don't Know why there would be tourists in West Hills

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
I see the same cars everyday when I take the 101 N to West Hills...Don't Know why there would be tourists in West Hills
Damn illegals! They should be deported back to their home state!

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm an illegal and proud of it (been riding with out of state tags for 2 years :naughty: ) . I'm bringing money to your economy and you cannot afford to depart all of us! Stop hatin' you racist!

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
I'm an illegal and proud of it (been riding with out of state tags for 2 years :naughty: ) . I'm bringing money to your economy and you cannot afford to depart all of us! Stop hatin' you racist!

Where do you live, I'm gonna call the DMV to raid your house, illegal!!!

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
Driving to work this morning on the 10 I spotted a handfull of out of state cars. 7 out of 10 cars were old dirty American buckets.... :lol:

On my drive back I also encounter another hand full which included a 01 Beemer 325i the rest were once again buckets. :lol:

Then I came to think about requirements to convert them into Californian Vehicles. I would easily say that 90% would not pass a simple smog check let along the california emissions requirement!!!!!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Do you remember what states? I actually rarely see out-of-state plates. Like maybe 4 or 5 during a 15 mile commute on the 405. Nothing unordinary about them. I've only seen about 2 Pennsylvania plates in my year down here. So if you see the blue and gold keystone shining back at you chances are that's me speeding by.

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
^ Nebraska, Ohio, Texas, Maryland, and a few others...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Wow, what an exciting mix of intra-national immigrants (can we use this term instead of transplants thank you very much).

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
A lot of this has to do with how expensive it is to register for new plates in CA. When Washington State had high registration fees for new plates, there was a tremendous amount of out of states plates (mostly Oregon, where it is relatively cheap to register), but now that Washington has reduced their fees, things have changed. Not sure what CA registration fees are right now, but I believe there is a direct correlation. Police enforcement of this is practically non-existent, unless they pull you over for something else and discover you have been driving in LA with your cheap out of state plates since the Clinton administration. That could be a problem!

·
Entre Mundos
2,084 Posts
I think if you leave California, it would be cheaper to register in the state you go to. We have higher insurance rates, and registering your car in other states is so much cheaper than California.
that's true, I have relatives (2 separate families) who moved to AZ, and that same week they got their AZ license plates.

BTW in San Diego I see a lot of Texas and Florida license plates, as well as Arizona's and Nevada's, but these 2 are most probably for a vacation trip.

·
I'm not Chinese
1,262 Posts
Yeah, it's pretty common to see out of state license plates here in LA.

I've seen many from British Columbia, Alberta, Baja California, Sinaloa, and Michoacan too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts