Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everybody across the country realizes that Manhattan is not a great place to drive or park, for resident and visitor alike. That one is a no brainer.

But what about the outher boroughs? What exactly is the relationship between the folks in Bkyn, Qns, Bronx, & SI and their cars? Do they use them in a way that is comparable to other American cities (where public transportation exists but cars are still important) or is there more similiarity to Manhattan?

Obviously Staten Island is more dependent on cars, but on the whole, what is the relationship between the boroughs and cars?

·
Registered
946 Posts
There are plenty areas in the outer boroughs that aren't served by subway (not coincidentaly these are the nicest neighborhoods in the city). Staten Island has no subway service at all (it has a subway/commuter rail hybrid - the Staten Island Railroad). Although the bus network covers nearly every inch of the city, some of the outer areas of the outer boroughs are much more dependent on cars.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response. Let me throw out another question: if you lived in, for example, near JFK or around Coney Island and you needed to go to, for example, Riverdale in the Bronx, and you had an option of either subway or car, which would you take on the basis of convenience? I know that in Chicago, such distances would be much better off by car.

·
metrocard millionaire
1,257 Posts
Edsg25, a huge amount of people in Riverdale use the metro-north (mostly the riverdale and spuyten duvil stations) to commute, they have a bus system called "hudson link" that serves the stations, although alot of people in Riverdale use the 242nd st terminus on the 1/9, but this station is mostly used by alot of people living in the south broadway corridor in yonkers

in Riverdale you have the option of both, Woodlawn is very similar...the 2/5 can be easily accessed on 233rd st, but many people west of the bronx river parkway choose to use the metro-north, while east of the parkway more people use the 2 (and the neighborhoods have very different demographics on this e/w divide, west of the parkway is mostly irish..while east is mostly caribbean), but people in woodlawn also use the 4 too

A good deal of people in the east bronx use cars, esp around co-op city and pelham bay, and down in Throgs Neck..bus service isn't that consistent and doesn't run so late..for instance if I live around westchester square in the bronx and I wanted to go to bayside in queens I would drive because thats a better and faster solution to mass transit its just the bridge tolls are ridiculous

although people in the grand concourse vicinity still use cars and they have 4, b and D service...but the majority use mass transit...the 4 is more consistent than the D....subway service on the concourse is just pitiful, just about all the stations except 161 need a renovation...but i'd say the areas around the 4, d, the 2/5 and parts of the 6, the majority use mass transit

·
metrocard millionaire
1,257 Posts
edsg25 said:
Thanks for the response. Let me throw out another question: if you lived in, for example, near JFK or around Coney Island and you needed to go to, for example, Riverdale in the Bronx, and you had an option of either subway or car, which would you take on the basis of convenience? I know that in Chicago, such distances would be much better off by car.
you know i'm just now re reading your question, and from riverdale to coney island, thats a really long trip by train....on the subway (going from riverdale)you'd have to take the 1 from (say 242nd or 231st) down to 145 and get on the D from there..that ride is well over 2 hours....your better of in a car or having someone drive you...especially if your traveling on the weekend (train schedules change)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Third of a kind said:
in Riverdale you have the option of both, Woodlawn is very similar...the 2/5 can be easily accessed on 233rd st, but many people west of the bronx river parkway choose to use the metro-north, while east of the parkway more people use the 2 (and the neighborhoods have very different demographics on this e/w divide, west of the parkway is mostly irish..while east is mostly caribbean), but people in woodlawn also use the 4 too
Yeah, Woodlawn has a rather suburban-ish feel, which translates into a pretty fair amount of car usage. There are still some of us poor people that take the 4 or D, though.

·
User
5,634 Posts
From outer borough to outer borough, there is more consideration toward using the car than the subway. From Queens to Brooklyn, we'd probably use the car, unless I'm alone, which then I'd use the subway. Going from one location within Queens to another place in Queens, I usually never take the subway. It's always by car or walking.

The number one rule though...

Don't drive into Manhattan, unless you really need must is what we always say.

·
chek ur hed
473 Posts
I had a car when I first moved here but I got tired of having to move it every day for street sweeping. I found I was only using it in the summer to go to the beaches or the occassional road trip. It wasn't worth it for me to keep it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts