SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Oval Gas Works | Kennington | U/C

39K views 92 replies 32 participants last post by  geogregor 
Well I agree but I wish there was other options than generic and characterless modern or historicism. I too would prefer the mock georgian to what is being built, even though the current proposal is fine too, but those styles had their time and we should make new styles that we can call our own but are better than the past.
I may be wrong but I think the essence of create streets proposals is more about the, well, streets - the massing and arrangement and masterplanning, more than whether the facades or neo-georgian or whatever else.

Some inspiration..
new build in Russia
first and last pictures put me uncomfortably in mind of st george's wharf aka the ugliest buildings in london :lol: although the details obviously reveal this comparison to be fatuous, i still dont really like it myself.

although i appreciate that is entirely beside your point, which i agree with, despite not agreeing with your particular example.

i suspect (looping back around) that may be why create streets end up with vaguely georgian looking styles, easier for everybody to say "eh, that's acceptable" for that than find an original style which everybody agrees is both modern and beautiful.