Gasholder Station, Kennington Oval, London SE11

Developer: Berkeley Group

Architect: Grid Architects

Residential units: 738

Office space: 10,160m²

See less See more
#3 ·
#4 ·
Overall, I'm broadly supportive of the project and I really like the integration of the gas holders in the design.

Two things concern me, however:

- Picture 8 (third last) in SE9's original post shows a render of an 18-storey building and the planning application (Plot 3 Elevation G) shows likewise, despite stating on page 2 of the July 2016 Masterplan that height would be restricted to 13 storeys (http://www.oakda.co.uk/media/pdf/s/a/OAKDA_Draft_Masterplan_Executive_Summary_July_2016.pdf) - not a great start by Berkeley.

- Also, I had hoped that the exterior finish and materials would more resemble the Alliance Building in Dublin or the Gasholders in King's Cross.

#5 · (Edited)
Have to say, I much prefer Create Streets' proposals for the site on behalf of Save Oval.

We are not NIMBYs. We want to see redevelopment of the Gas-holder site.
But we want to see redevelopment that enhances the area, not spoiling the area with high-rise towers.
Working with www.createstreets.com we have worked up the following alternative plan:

Streetscape with large, iconic green space

Our plan has more streets through the site than the Berkeley plan - in particular, we also open up a route into the site from the Kennington Park estate - the closest neighbours of the site.

Because our plan avoids any buildings over 7 storeys, the streets and gardens are not over-shadowed the way the Berkeley Masterplan streets would be. This plan creates high-density new, attractive and affordable homes to help solve the borough's chronic housing shortage, whilst building a vibrant neighbourly community.

More "green" routes through the site

We believe that the Berkeley plan ignores the most significant neighbours of the area - the residents of Kennington Park Estate, which surrounds the Gas-holder site to the North and South. After consultation with Kennington Park Estate residents, we believe it is vital that the development opens up more routes through the site from the Kennington Park estate - so in our scheme the gas-holder park would be open to both Montford Place and Kennington Park estate, ensuring more through routes and livelier streets
I maintain hope that one day a housing developer will listen to sense and revise their bland, soulless scheme for something like this. One day.

Although this is especially pertinent here given that there are a number of listed buildings (and structures) within the site, and the immediate vicinity, and that the site is directly adjacent to Kennington Conservation Area et al.

source.

source.

#8 ·
Disappointing.

I'm convinced future generations will wonder how the hell we thought we were so much better than the modernist planners of the 60s and 70s having learned absolutely nothing from their mistakes (other than perhaps an aversion to exposed concrete).

#11 ·
I mean since the entire premise of the organisation is to promote development which plays to London's historic architectural character, their schemes are bound to look similar. Much more preferable, in my opinion, to schemes which could be anywhere, and which are making London increasingly generic and less and less attractive.

#19 ·
Plans submitted for the neighbouring site:

275 Kennington Lane
Kennington
SE11

Planning application:
Lambeth 18/02597/EIAFUL

Development Facts

Site:
Tesco Stores, Kennington Lane, London SE11

Developer: Berkeley Group | Tesco

Architect: Grid Architects

Residential units: 571

Tesco store: 1,365m² (GIA)

Office space: 2,638m² (GIA)

Flexible commercial space: 1,160m² (GIA)