Skyscraper City Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunate that I feel I have to make this thread, but after the move of the metrolink fantasy thread I feel like I have no other choice.

Moderation of a forum like this should be laissez-faire, light touch, and generally invisible unless there are serious issues, like people being abusive, illegal content, or serious and persistent disruptiveness. The content of a forum is created by its members, and so they should set the agenda for how it evolves and is structured.

Sadly since AJD1984 became a mod recently these principles don't seem to be being respected. I wouldn't be so uncharitable as to suggest he/she is on a power trip, but in my view there has been a long line of unnecessary and pointless interventions that achieve nothing other than fixing what isn't broken.

I just wanted to initiate a bit of debate and test the waters for what people's feelings on this issue are. In my opinion, the moderation team needs to take a step back and reconsider their approach in light of the past few weeks.

·
10th February 2008
61,659 Posts
I go on another forum and it's modded to death. As such I don't often start threads anymore on that forum as they either get merged or get deleted, which I found infuriating after making the effort to start what I thought were interesting and on-topic threads. However, I still post on that forum.

TBF being a MOD is a thankless task. And there is nothing wrong with running a tight ship. But bar the odd spat, changing title threads, and possible issues such as picture sizes, reminding everyone about codes of conduct, giving credit, posting links, etc, I think the forum should be allowed to run itself, as long as it runs smoothly.

TBF to Andrew he has taken the MOD job on. We should give him a bit of time to get used to it. He does reply to PM's. And he does address issues. He also does the job in his own time. In any walk of life when somebody starts a new job and are in-charge, they like to bring their own ideas to that job. Donald Trump being a prime and one of the worst examples ever. :lol: Not saying Andrew is like Donald Trump. Deansgate Square picture tariffs, etc.

PS. Sister Ray. Perhaps you should have sent Andrew a PM first to discuss your concerns.

·
Registered
26,736 Posts
Andrew's doing a fine job, bar the moving of the Metrolink fantasy thread to Exchange Square. Parts of the Manc forum needed tidying up and re-arranging, and he's done that. Jrb's right - it's a thankless task. Andrew has actually been a mod on here for the best part of a year at least, requesting thread moves/changes etc

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Unfortunate that I feel I have to make this thread, but after the move of the metrolink fantasy thread I feel like I have no other choice.

Moderation of a forum like this should be laissez-faire, light touch, and generally invisible unless there are serious issues, like people being abusive, illegal content, or serious and persistent disruptiveness. The content of a forum is created by its members, and so they should set the agenda for how it evolves and is structured.

Sadly since AJD1984 became a mod recently these principles don't seem to be being respected. I wouldn't be so uncharitable as to suggest he/she is on a power trip, but in my view there has been a long line of unnecessary and pointless interventions that achieve nothing other than fixing what isn't broken.

I just wanted to initiate a bit of debate and test the waters for what people's feelings on this issue are. In my opinion, the moderation team needs to take a step back and reconsider their approach in light of the past few weeks.
Indeed it should however, I use the forum everyday like most too and I'm struggling to find threads because we have so many unwanted threads (25 or so pages in fact). The Transport thread is a sub-forum of the Manchester forum thus needs to follow the same structure i.e image size, no random threads because of an article etc. Just like the main Manchester thread the transport thread was starting to look untidy. A bit of order I felt was needed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.