Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
6,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the more interesting pieces of the urban environment that I think is underappreciated - combining our love of buildings and our love of transportation!

St Leonards, NSW
Probably my favourite example, after Chatswood. St Leonards is on the North Shore line, about 8km north of Central. The complex includes two twin apartment towers either side of the tracks and an office complex over the tracks along Pacific Hwy. These all surround a rather impressive square, with the station gates and concourse at the north end and small shopping arcades leading from all four corners, the largest of which includes a supermarket.

The station is built atop the line, which passes under the Pacific Hwy. While there are only two tracks, space for two more was provided. It's unlikely they'll ever be built.

For me there's nothing more convenient that grabbing dinner or groceries on your commute, without having to make any detour at all.

One arcade leads to a pedestrian overpass to the Royal North Shore Hospital. There's also a (dank) pedestrian underpass under Princes Hwy, which will eventually lead to this bad boy, to be built on the south side over the tracks. You can see the pedestrian link at the bottom of the render.

·
6,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bondi Junction, NSW
A less impressive example - big, but poor social utility. Bondi Junction is the terminus of the Eastern Suburbs line, 7km from Central. The platforms themselves are underground, built as cut-and-cover and linked to mined tunnels. Atop the platforms is an indoor bus interchange (the only one I know of in Sydney), a small, underwhelming shopping arcade, two apartment towers and an office tower. The food court at least has a harbour view!

The door signed McDonalds is actually the only escalator down to buses and trains. Clearly no tourists ever visit Bondi Jcn so this isn't an issue. :eek:hno:

The shopping arcade is actually quite rubbish, the vertical links are poor and ill-signed, and it's all a bit drab. It needs a good reno.

·
6,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kings Cross, NSW

Again on the Eastern Suburbs Line, Kings Cross is basically the edge of the CBD. The station itself is underground, but the portals themselves are impressively integrated into the street-scape. Atop the three portals are two residential buildings and a hostel

·
6,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hurstville, NSW

On the Illawarra line, 15km south of Central. A very small development, but I think it's a great practical example that should be rolled-out nation wide. Atop the station is a small-but-useful shopping centre, with a supermarket and a food court. But I think what really makes this station stand out for me is how the supermarket checkouts are maybe 10m from the ticket gates.

If you're looking for a cheap way to really cut car usage, Hurstville is a good example to follow. While it may look daggy, I can assure you it is very popular, all the retailers seemed to be doing a more than healthy trade.

Hurstville is a major station for the line, the terminus for local all-stops while also boasting a frequent express service. At the end of the day it's just another shopping centre, except with a station in the middle of it!

·
6,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And of course Chatswood is unarguably the best in NSW. Shameless re-post.

My favourite station in Australia - Chatswood NSW (About 12 km from Central). Complete with skyscrapers and surrounded by a shopping centre!

Photos by me but I dunno what I'm doing.
I would probably say Melbourne Central is the best example of integrated station development in the country.

What other examples should I head to? Off the top of my head:
NSW: Edgecliff, North Sydney, Kogarah. Partial credit to Wynyard, Town Hall
WA: Perth Underground (also quite impressive)
Vic: Melbourne Central, Southern Cross, Box Hill

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Interesting thread.

It's worth noting that Chatswood and Edgecliff (and Wynyard) were planned developments. Bondi Junction and Hurstville were examples of shameless developer opportunism combined with dubious backroom deals. St Leonards was a genuine collaboration for a good outcome. North Sydney is, umm, strange.

·
Sure, Jan...
3,475 Posts
Atop the platforms is an indoor bus interchange (the only one I know of in Sydney)
It's not well known, but there's actually one underneath Westpoint Blacktown shopping centre.

The best example of this type of bus station is definitely Perth Busport. I was very impressed when I used it on my recent trip there, but then immediately jealous of what BJI could potentially be.

·
6,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting thread.

It's worth noting that Chatswood and Edgecliff (and Wynyard) were planned developments. Bondi Junction and Hurstville were examples of shameless developer opportunism combined with dubious backroom deals. St Leonards was a genuine collaboration for a good outcome. North Sydney is, umm, strange.
Thanks! It feels a bit nerdy but oh well.

You can tell with Bondi Junction that Meriton didn't give two shits about anything other than cramming as many apartments on the site as possible. Which is totally unlike Meriton :lol:

At least with Hurstville the shady back room deal gave us something useful, even if it's daggy.

St Leonards does have a bit of a design-by-committee feel, a tad sterile.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Interesting thread.

North Sydney was a strange slow progression. The Travelodge was the first over the tracks then things just slowly developed until the entire station was covered.
The true integration happened when the old school site was re-purposed as Greenwood and the old dank road underpass was transformed as a proper all weather connection to the rest of the town.

·
27,290 Posts
There are plenty of bad examples across the country. Unfortunately, over station/rail developments are a little more 'permanent' than standard, on-land developments.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
You can tell with Bondi Junction that Meriton didn't give two shits about anything other than cramming as many apartments on the site as possible. Which is totally unlike Meriton :lol:
meh, it's a vast improvement from all perspectives as a passenger compared to the original bus interchange. But it's still sucky and tremendously under designed.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Edgecliff bus interchange is also a poor design as the original concept didn't work and its badly positioned for its current role.

As well as thhw entire station/bus complex being horribly dated and without lifts (this is presently being addressed) or even escalators to the bus level, it simply doesn't work.

As I understand it the original plan was as a terminus with passengers meant to take the train to Edgecliff then a bus. This was dropped fairly quickly and further in 2002 with most routes now going to/from the city.

As a result many Westbound services stop on New South Head Road and Eastbound services do the horrible right turn into Ocean, then right (without lights into the bus depot).

Edgecliff Centre to the West has a DA on it.. it would be ideal if this could be combined with some form of bus entry exit via NewMclean St (ideally via tunnel), traded for development rights over the current interchange, but I suspect that is all too hard.

·
6,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Edgecliff is also a poor design as the original concept didn't work and its badly positioned for its current role.

As well as being horribly dated and without lifts (this is presently being addressed) or even escalators to the bus level, it simply doesn't work.

As I understand it the original plan was as a terminus with passengers meant to take the train to Edgecliff then a bus. This was dropped fairly quickly and further in 2002 with most routes now going to/from the city.

As a result many Westbound services stop on New South Head Road and Eastbound services do the horrible right turn into Ocean, then right (without lights into the bus depot).

Edgecliff Centre to the West has a DA on it.. it would be ideal if this could be combined with some form of bus entry exit via NewMclean St (ideally via tunnel), traded for development rights over the current interchange, but I suspect that is all too hard.
I think where a lot of these developments fall over is the bus interchange. Planners seem to love making buses do twists and turns. I think it makes much more sense to just leave the buses on New South Head Rd, rather than add bunch of pointless loops to save 20m of walking.

Fortitude Valley, Central, Toowong and Ipswich are the only Brisbane examples IIRC.
I'm actually surprised, that's more than Melbourne.

·
27,290 Posts
Melbourne has too much land available. Also, there was a fad when Toowong, Ipswich and FV were done. It may have been QR (or whatever they were called then) making a bit of extra coin.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts