SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Indiana Square in Indianapolis is getting an extreme makeover due to a tornado strike. (or just high winds, depending on who you believe) The owners have promised to hire a world renowned architect to make it the cities "premiere tower". Here's the article: with a pic of some of the shoring up work that's been done.http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060520/BUSINESS/605200489 Most of the tenants have returned to the building and luckily no one was hurt in the storm.

This facelift is good news for us Hoosiers because it's always been an ugly tower, with a history of problems with windows popping out. I'm wondering just how far they can go wth the new look though. I've only seen examples of low to midrise buildings that have been overcladded. can anyone here give me examples of towers that have had total makeovers like this? Before and after pics would be great, but I'll take what I can get...

·
What'u smokin' Willis?
2,097 Posts
Aon Center. The original marble cladding wasn't cut think enough and started buckling. It then started falling off in massive chunks. One piece fell almost 1,000 feet/300m and punched a 40 foot wide hole in the Prudential building next door. It was replaced, at a cost equal to building the tower itself, with white granite.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I know of two buildings in Miami that had their ugly 1960s/1970s-era cladding ripped off and replaced. One was 777 Brickell Avenue, and one was one of Citibank's towers. Both were immensely improved by their respective facelifts... it was definitely money well spent.

Here's the new 777 Brickell:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts