Elevation 16 m (52 ft)
Population (2009)
- Total 197,067
- Density 2,942.0/km2 (7,628.3/sq mi)
Time zone PST (UTC-8)
- Summer (DST) PDT (UTC-7)
ZIP codes 93030-93036
Area code(s) 805

anyone got any pics or information on development?

·
Caleuphoria
610 Posts
LOL, those are my old stomping grounds. I was born in Long Beach, but because I was born in a rough neighborhood in the 80's (self-explanatory) the minute my dad saved up a little bit of money we moved to Oxnard near his job in Point Mugu. I spent the majority of my childhood in Oxnard...

After a few years we moved to Port Hueneme, then back to Long Beach in the mid-90's and we ended up moving up the the I.E. in '98. Good to see these photos again, Ventura County is a beautiful place (but you can count black people on your fingers out there, lol).

Any Oxnardians in the house?

·
Mr.Hollywood
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL, those are my old stomping grounds. I was born in Long Beach, but because I was born in a rough neighborhood in the 80's (self-explanatory) the minute my dad saved up a little bit of money we moved to Oxnard near his job in Point Mugu. I spent the majority of my childhood in Oxnard...

After a few years we moved to Port Hueneme, then back to Long Beach in the mid-90's and we ended up moving up the the I.E. in '98. Good to see these photos again, Ventura County is a beautiful place (but you can count black people on your fingers out there, lol).

Any Oxnardians in the house?

Raised in Oxnard / Hueneme:)

·
Caleuphoria
610 Posts
Raised in Oxnard / Hueneme:)
LOL, wow. Which schools did you go to?

I went to Drifill Elementary in '92, then Curren Elementary in '94, and then Fremont Middle school in '96. We moved back to Long Beach in '96...

I remember first moving somewhere around I street, and then we moved to some apartment complexes off of Ivywood (which is right near Curren). A little while later we moved to Port Hueneme and then I ended up going to Fremont.

There is a very good chance we may have went to the same school, or possibly even been raised in the same neighborhood. Oxnard is a small city...

·
Mr.Hollywood
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL, wow. Which schools did you go to?

I went to Drifill Elementary in '92, then Curren Elementary in '94, and then Fremont Middle school in '96. We moved back to Long Beach in '96...

I remember first moving somewhere around I street, and then we moved to some apartment complexes off of Ivywood (which is right near Curren). A little while later we moved to Port Hueneme and then I ended up going to Fremont.

There is a very good chance we may have went to the same school, or possibly even been raised in the same neighborhood. Oxnard is a small city...

Haha yeah well im a lil younger in That Case. i Went to Parkview Elem. from Kindergarten through 6th and Later off to E.O. Green Jr High.. but high school in Boring ass Florida haha.. yeah i had fam. near ivywood by the apartments but i lived near the beach in hueneme over by the old bubbling springs park...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Because of SOAR(Save Opens-space and Agriculture REsources) Oxnard already ran out of space to build out. So in the future if Oxnard wants to grow, it's going to be forced to build up. Actually Wagon Wheel next to the 101 has two high rises proposed. It's called the Village. So Oxnard is going to go through some densification in the next 10 years.

·
Mr.Hollywood
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Because of SOAR(Save Opens-space and Agriculture REsources) Oxnard already ran out of space to build out. So in the future if Oxnard wants to grow, it's going to be forced to build up. Actually Wagon Wheel next to the 101 has two high rises proposed. It's called the Village. So Oxnard is going to go through some densification in the next 10 years.

Thats Fckn BOMB!!! :dance:

As county residents watched farmland sprout business parks, houses and shopping centers during the 1990s, they enacted one of the state's most stringent growth-control measures, Save Open Space and Agricultural Resources, known as SOAR. The measure, in force in the county and most of its 10 cities, requires that voters, not politicians, approve building on land designated for open space or farming.

Yet growth brings 10,000 residents to Ventura County annually. Existing development restrictions are most rigorous outside city boundaries, but cities have more latitude within their limits. And in Oxnard, that is driving development skyward.

One project, already approved, allows for a new 15-story commercial building in the Topa Financial Plaza along the Ventura Freeway. The 25-acre site is home to a 21-story and a 14-story building amid a cluster of banks and other commercial businesses.

Nearby, two more towers are envisioned for the so-called Wagon Wheel area, west of Vineyard Avenue along the Ventura Freeway. Messenger Investment Inc., a Newport Beach developer, is seeking approval to build two 20-story residential towers, 1,200 row houses and about 47,000 square feet of retail and commercial space.

The Channel Islands Center, in the same area calls for: a 37-story residential tower, a 28-story residential and hotel tower and a 19-story residential building off north Oxnard Boulevard. But the smallest tower might be replaced with more mid-rise structures.

City planners are reviewing the project, which would result in about 800 new residences and cost about $500 million to build, said Doug Austin, an architect for Austin, Veum and Robbins Partners in La Jolla.

Oxnard City Councilman Andres Herrera said he favors high-rise development because it would bring jobs and revenue to the city.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Don't mean for this to sound negitive, just looking for some explanation. What is up with the Oxnard Blvd onramp to the WB 101? Friday I went that way to get to Santa Barbara and was totally confused. the signs didnt help, and i had to cross what looks like a freeway offramp lane, with no stop signs, to get onto the freeway. Also I dont remember seeing any trace of construction, even though the onramp was completely different location then it shows on maps. :dunno:

Although it was night so it might not be as bad in daytime.

For being part of the same CalTrans district as LA County, I noticed often that Ventura County somehow seems to have a different way of handling road construction

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't understand your question. Are you saying that it looks different than what you remembered? Well if that's the case, it is very different. The 101 has been widen there's 6 lanes on each side. There's a new bridge over the Santa Clara River. Also The RiverPark community is currently under construction. So if it looked different than from the past, well it.

That area is really weird though, because you go from three lanes, and than all of a sudden it turns into six. I can see the confusion.

·
Mr.Hollywood
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah i mean i guess its not as confusing to me since i go from Oxn. to SB. all the time so yeah but i mean with the whole construction i honestly dont know what to say because as far as i know those were proposed or aprooved already but since i dont stay in Oxnard anymore i dont know much on its construction status ..

i Miss Oxnard and the whole west coast ... my home..... :cry:

·
Registered
28 Posts
The status of construction is still alive but in a coma. People want to save the whole Wagon Wheel as a historic district. I think the city and architecture historians are currently going at it in court. Also the economy has affected the construction so right now it's a big eye soar.

·
Mr.Hollywood
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah i Mean i Would Understand Fighting for Whagon Wheels Historic Area and what not and i personally think they should have done it more closer to the actual downtown where the two buildings are at... according to "Emporis.com" i think it said that there is maybe 6 highrises planned i think but it wont let me see what...

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/ci/bu/sk/?id=102724

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't think downtown is going to get any high rises because it's just under the landing zone of the airport. But the Esplanade area has potential for some high rises. However Oxnard needs to start talking about LRT. Driving from South Oxnard to North Oxnard via Saviars Rd or Rose Aveneu can take more than 30 minutes during rush hour, keep in mind that Oxnard is not THAT big!

·
Mr.Hollywood
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

i Got this pic from another thread... These were the Towers that Were Canceled since the Man Died.... Ughh it makes me soo Mad Since its soo Gorgeous and Oxnard could Have really used this...

·
Mr.Hollywood
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LOOK WHAT i FOUND!:banana::banana::banana:

PACIFIC POINTE at Port Hueneme CA.

A new luxury condominium and four-star hotel development in the coastal California town of Port Hueneme transforms a former 1.4-acre parking lot into an iconic glass-and-steel landmark epitomizing the ideal of resort-style living. The 42-story mixed-use development, expected to be the largest single building on the coast between Los Angeles and San Francisco, includes an upscale eight-story hotel, a cafe and market, conference rooms, a grand “sky lobby” with restaurant and bar, and 32 stories of condominiums. Condominium dwellers enjoy a communal rooftop pool, ocean views, and access to hotel amenities. An open-design ground floor facilitates circulation between indoor and outdoor spaces and evokes an atmosphere of transparency and community accessibility. The building’s tower design, featuring below-grade parking, mitigates environmental impact with a small footprint relative to the building’s density. Other sustainable features include sunshades, wind-chimney ventilation, double-glazed skin, and use of recycled concrete in construction.

is it still proposed???????

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.