Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 307 Posts

·
Resident Meteorologist
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Post any info on earthquakes that are occurring or have occurred or any info on earthquakes you may have felt.

Additionally post any questions or info you may have regarding Pac NW volcanoes.

This thread will be removed if little to no activity or if a mod feels it is not necessary to have.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Joosanova...who are you? Are you a meteorologist? Have we seen you on TV? And most importantly, did I spell meteorologist correctly?

EDIT: I just now notice your "resident meteorologist" tag. So I guess I did spell it correctly, how about that!

·
Resident Meteorologist
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Joosanova...who are you? Are you a meteorologist? Have we seen you on TV? And most importantly, did I spell meteorologist correctly?

EDIT: I just now notice your "resident meteorologist" tag. So I guess I did spell it correctly, how about that!
to answer your question.... YES I am a meteorologist !!!

However I do not have national accreditation like TV mets do but nonetheless I do know what I am talking about....

I am NOT a tv met though and Thank god I'm not....My ego isn't big enough for that type of job.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
God... Please do not mention it... I don't want to think about horrible earthquake going happen again in Seattle and destroy our beautiful city... I have witnessed it in 1994 Northridge earthquake... It is not funny... I hope it will not happen in Seattle on our lifetime.

·
Banned
2,144 Posts
^^
MONTEREY, Calif., April 10 (UPI) -- Seattle's tallest buildings are at risk of collapse during a rupture of the Cascadia fault zone in the Pacific Northwest, say U.S. seismic experts.
The Cascadia subduction zone is likely to produce the strongest shaking experienced from earthquakes in the lower 48 states, said seismic experts from the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena.

While the Pacific Northwest has experienced little seismic activity in 200 years, there is growing consensus the Cascadia subduction zone ruptures in giant earthquakes exceeding 9 on the Richter scale, Caltech scientists Thomas Heaton and Jin Yang said Thursday at the Seismological Society of America's annual meeting in Monterey, Calif. The Cascadia subduction zone last ruptured in 1700, Heaton and Yang said.

Simulations at Caltech show such earthquakes, which last for more than 4 minutes and are dominated by low-frequency motions, would be exacerbated by the geography of the Seattle basin and cause severe damage among modern high-rises, said Heaton and Yang.

The most vulnerable high-rises would be those built before code changes made as a result of California's 1994 Northridge earthquake, they said.
A big one's going to hit soon.

·
Resident Meteorologist
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
God... Please do not mention it... I don't want to think about horrible earthquake going happen again in Seattle and destroy our beautiful city... I have witnessed it in 1994 Northridge earthquake... It is not funny... I hope it will not happen in Seattle on our lifetime.
Not trying to make light of your wanting need for major quake to NOT occur in our lifetime but..... IT WILL HAPPEN!!!!

NOT a matter of " IF " but " WHEN "

Additionally we are unfortunately screwed seeing as how we are located in 1 of only 3 places in the world ( primarily within the ring of fire ) where MAJOR subduction zone quakes have occurred and alas we are the only region in the world that has MEGA-Thrust quakes where indescribable damage has occurred and will occur again.

One such mega thrust quake occurred around 300 a.d and lifted the central and north coast of Washington state a staggering and unprecedented 60 feet....

I too pray it doesn't happen in our lifetime but the odds are not in our favor....

Just remember what happened on February 28th 2001 and know that a quake of that magnitude and duration will occur again if not stronger, longer lasting and with more devastating implications.

The next subduction zone quake to occur in our area will make Mexico City pale in comparison to what happens here..... when it DOES occur.

·
Buy used books
3,187 Posts
Additionally we are unfortunately screwed seeing as how we are located in 1 of only 3 places in the world ( primarily within the ring of fire ) where MAJOR subduction zone quakes have occurred and alas we are the only region in the world that has MEGA-Thrust quakes where indescribable damage has occurred and will occur again.
Plus we have a lovely volcano in our backyard which the Disc Channel likes to call the most dangerous.

All that in mind, I still choose to live here.

·
Resident Meteorologist
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Plus we have a lovely volcano in our backyard which the Disc Channel likes to call the most dangerous.

All that in mind, I still choose to live here.
It is a beautiful place to live albeit the inherit dangers that surround us.

On February 23rd 2009 Mt. Rainier lost the title of most dangerous volcano to the Massive Caldera that encompasses 95% of Yellowstone N.P

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Historically, this great quake could occur tomorrow, or 180 years from now. Either way, we need to plan for it. The probabilties of a California San Andreas break are even greater in the next 50 years. Bottom line, the entire west coast is due.

Oh, and some say the central US (New Madrid area), Tennessee, Missouri, Arkansas, Kentucky is also due. Yes, this area had a catastrophic quake in the early 19th century.

There are few areas that are immune from natural disasters, whether it be quakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, or floods. Such is life.

·
Resident Meteorologist
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Historically, this great quake could occur tomorrow, or 180 years from now. Either way, we need to plan for it. The probabilties of a California San Andreas break are even greater in the next 50 years. Bottom line, the entire west coast is due.

Oh, and some say the central US (New Madrid area), Tennessee, Missouri, Arkansas, Kentucky is also due. Yes, this area had a catastrophic quake in the early 19th century.

There are few areas that are immune from natural disasters, whether it be quakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, or floods. Such is life.
Way to mention the ( New Madrid Area ) forgot to mention that area.

looks like this thread is somewhat popular and may have found a home amongst the other topics.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Not trying to make light of your wanting need for major quake to NOT occur in our lifetime but..... IT WILL HAPPEN!!!!

NOT a matter of " IF " but " WHEN "

One such mega thrust quake occurred around 300 a.d and lifted the central and north coast of Washington state a staggering and unprecedented 60 feet....

I too pray it doesn't happen in our lifetime but the odds are not in our favor....

Just remember what happened on February 28th 2001 and know that a quake of that magnitude and duration will occur again if not stronger, longer lasting and with more devastating implications.

The next subduction zone quake to occur in our area will make Mexico City pale in comparison to what happens here..... when it DOES occur.
I am aware of it. I have heard it from many different sources that earthquake will hit Seattle anytime now. I have been told by few people that Seattle is due to have massive earthquake anytime now to next 50 years from now. I don't want to spend my time worrying when will it happen... Come on, you guys should enjoy Seattle while it last. It is like it happened to New Orleans when Hurricane Katrina hits there and destroyed New Orleans. I doubt that many people lived there had chance to appreciate the city before disaster. New Orleans is rebuilding but it is not same as before. I think all of us should start appreciate Seattle more right now before Seattle may be gone for good.

By the way, I didn't live in Seattle when earthquake occur back in 2001.

1 - 20 of 307 Posts