SkyscraperCity banner

1361 - 1380 of 5480 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
KESC is a private company, so they have to take care of everything about electricity in Karachi. It's not related in any way to PEPCO or WAPDA.
I can make a lot of arguments on this but i dont want to do it right now
Just a glimpse - Mangla and Tarbela Dams both are build by the Federal govt n Karachi contribution to the Fed is around 68%. In other words I can say that Karachiites also owns this dam which is operated by WAPDA not KESC.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just a glimpse - Mangla and Tarbela Dams both are build by the Federal govt n Karachi contribution to the Fed is around 68%. In other words I can say that Karachiites also owns this dam which is operated by WAPDA not KESC.
I never understood why are we all Pakistanis so inferiority compelxed and always complaining that others have been un-fair to us. This is the reason for our downfall as a nation and the current crisis of our country. We all should stand up from these city, provinces and ethnic biasis and act like a Pakistani only.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I never understood why are we all Pakistanis so inferiority compelxed and always complaining that others have been un-fair to us. This is the reason for our downfall as a nation and the current crisis of our country. We all should stand up from these city, provinces and ethnic biasis and act like a Pakistani only.
Yaar, thats the problem with Pakistan, any suggestion or complain is taken like u do. C'mon we all love our country (and i m stopping here. Happy)

·
Everythin bubble of water
17,448 Posts
Lets put this figure of 68% and this claim of "Discrimination" to rest once and for all!

Karachi's share of National revenue is not 68%. The figure is misquoted and misused a lot. Especially by politicians, to further their own agenda.

Let me explain.

There are 3 Large Tax Payer Units (LTUs) in Pakistan, located at Karachi, Lahore & Islamabad. Furthermore, there are 13 Regional Tax offices (RTOs), located at Karachi, Hyderabad, Sukkur, Quetta, Lahore, Multan, Faisalabad, Gujranwala, Sialkot, Rawalpindi, Islamabad, Peshawar and Abbottabad.

LTU Karachi and RTO's Karachi, Hyderabad, Sukkur and Quetta cover Sindh & Balochistan.

RTOs Lahore, Multan, Faisalabad, Gujranwala, Sialkot, Rawalpindi, Islamabad & LTUs Lahore and Islamabad cover Punajb.

Finally, RTOs Peshawar and Abbottabad cover NWFP.

And all of this data that I'm about to present was compiled in September, 2008, so its pretty new!

Direct Taxes (Chapter 4)

LTU Islamabad has been the major revenue source of direct taxes due to large base. Its collection from income tax remained at the top with Rs. 77,030 million in the year 2006-07. It is followed by LTU Karachi with a collection of Rs.76,938 million. The RTO Karachi is at third position with collection of Rs.70,258 million. RTO Lahore is at fourth position with a collection of Rs.24,165 million. RTO Islamabad ranks sixth with a collection of Rs.11,715 million. LTU Lahore remained at fifth position with collection of Rs. 15,012 million. The remaining RTOs have contributed Rs. 41,016 million respectively.

Federal Excise Tax (Chapter 5)

RTO Rawalpindi collected the highest amount of federal excise duty in 2005-06 where as its share has slightly decreased from 36.7% in 2005-06 to 36.5% in 2006-07. Total collection of the RTO at Rs. 26,243 million in 2006-07, showed an increase of 28.7% as compared to last year.

Sales Tax (Domestic) (Chapter 6)

Table 6.1 shows that RTO Rawalpindi has collected the highest amount of Rs. 76,547 million in FY: 2006-07 and its share in total collection is 44.9%. This is followed by LTU Karachi which has collected Rs. 28,610 million with 16.8% share in total collection. The LTU Lahore showed a notable performance by collecting Rs. 20,948 million, mainly on account of shifting the units from Lahore and Faisalabad Collectorate to LTU Lahore.

This is followed by RTO Karachi which collected Rs. 11,461 million in FY:2006 07 as compared to Rs. 12,549 million in 2005-06 and is down by 8.7%. Multan is at fifth position and has collected Rs. 7,452 million in FY: 2006-07 with 10.2% increase over last year. RTO Lahore at sixth position, has collected Rs. 5,805 million with 3.4% share. Hyderabad at seventh position, yielded Rs. 5,686 million with 3.3% share. RTO Faisalabad has collected Rs.3,221 million in FY: 2006-07 as compared to Rs. 2,736 million in FY: 2005-06. The collection of Quetta increased by 6.9% from Rs. 2,024 million in FY: 2005-06 to Rs. 2,165 million in FY: 2006-07. The collection by the RTO Peshawar increased by 16.8%. RTO Gujranwala collected Rs. 1,556 million in FY: 2006-07 against Rs. 1,503 million in FY: 2005-06.

Customs (Chapter 7)

Custom duties and taxes are collected by 10 Model Customs Collectorates, 5 of which are in Karachi and the remaining five at Lahore, Peshawar, Rawalpindi, Faisalabad and Sambrial. So it is expected of Karachi to dominate this ranking and it does.

Table 16

SHARE OF COLLECTORATES IN THE COLLECTION OF CUSTOMS DUTIES

Karachi (ALL 5 Custom Houses): 75.2%

And as I've said before, all of these figures from the 3 Large Tax Payer Units (LTUs) and the 13 Regional Tax offices (RTOs) and whatever! Don't represent the cities, but represent the regions that their offices & units cover!

Source: http://www.cbr.gov.pk/YearBook/2006-2007/FBRyearbook2006-2007.pdf

Contribution to national revenues, by the city of Karachi, on its own, amounts to 40% of Sindh's revenues and 25% of national revenues. All of this is nothing exceptional and it is expected of big cities, around the world, the size of Karachi, to contribute so much.

By the Asian Development Bank: http://www.adb.org/Documents/Produced-Under-TA/38405/38405-PAK-DPTA.pdf

Anyways, regardless of all of the above, what matters essentially is GDP and GDP, has historically been like this:

Yaar, thats the problem with Pakistan, any suggestion or complain is taken like u do.
This is probably the only comment of yours that I agree with it!

So lets just drop these disgusting claims of "owing dams" and "running 68% of the country" and whatnot! As all such juvenile comments do is create bad blood and divisions amongst Pakistanis. Pakistan is already divided enough as it is. Not just pointing at you, as you are not the only culprit!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Thanks for doing so much research to counter that claim, i will do it as well in near future. But u dont get my point which is that Karachi has its share in the electricity produced by those dams operated by WAPDA. And WAPDA and PEPCO (both public-run companies) are discriminating with the city. and whatever the matters they have with KESC must be resolved by NEPRA. Both WAPDA and PEPCO uses tax-payers money.

·
12,482 Posts
Pak, France will ink civil nuclear deal in December: FO​

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan and France would sign civil nuclear deal in December.

In a weekly press briefing, foreign office spokesman said initial negotiations for nuclear deal will be completed in July and the deal would be signed in December.

He said Pakistan wants early resumption of talks with India but no conditions being attached for talks.

Replying to a question regarding Kashmir issue, spokesman said there is no confusion or compromise made on Kashmir issue. He termed the statement of Indian external minister’s statement about restoration of peace as positive and said Foreign Secretary Salman Bashir would meet Indian High Commissioner today in this connection. Pakistan is in touch with US for the resolution of Kashmir issue.

Foreign office spokesman said government is appealing against release of Hafiz Saeed and we will wait for verdict.

http://geo.tv/6-4-2009/43480.htm

·
12,482 Posts

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan and Islamic Development Bank (IDB) will sign $140 million investment pact for Neelum-Jhelum power project tomorrow.

Sources of Economic Affairs Ministry told Geo News that IDB executive board meeting would finalise the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) tomorrow.

Pakistani ambassador will sing the MOU in Turkmenistan’s city Ashkabad. The executive board of IDB will review the proposal to provide Pakistan $ one billion during next three years.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Pakistan and Iran seal gas pipeline deal

Pakistan and Iran have signed gas pipeline deal in Turkey, reported a private TV channel late on Friday.
Managing Director Inter-State Gas Company Pakistan Hassan Nawab said that the agreement was signed in Turkey. The issues of financing and construction will be taken care of this year, he said, adding the project would be completed in 2013, and Pakistan would get supply of the gas soon after completion of the project.

As per deal, the price of the gas has been bracketed with international tariff of crude oil and it would be 25 percent less than crude oil price.

Cheers:cheers:

1361 - 1380 of 5480 Posts