SkyscraperCity banner

1361 - 1380 of 3911 Posts

·
12,482 Posts
That Islamabad to murree road (new one) is an expressway not a motorway. Its designation is N-75 and goes from Islamabad - Satra mile (17 miles) - Lower Topa-Kohala.

Only part of it is finished (well almost) as pakboy mentioned..upto murree. Previously, it was also called Dual Carriageway.

·
Registered
543 Posts
NHA to construct E-35 in two phases Updated at 1640 PST Wednesday, February 16, 2011

ISLAMABAD: National Highway Authority (NHA) has planned to construct Hasanabdal-Mansehra Expressway (E-35) in two phases.

The 110-km long project would be completed with an estimated cost of Rs 25 billion and Asian Development Bank would provide funds for the project.

The Project Concept-1 has been prepared and is under submission to NHA Executive Board for recommendation to Central Development Working Party (CDWP) for approval, a source in the NHA told on Wednesday.

About present status of the two phases he said that design and documents have been finalized and right-of-way markers installed for 57 km Hasanabdal-Havelian section.

He said that design review of 52 km Havelian-Mansehra section is under process and added that the Havelian-Mansehra section has been divided in two packs.

He said that alignment issue east of Abbottabad is yet to be settled. He said presently land acquisition is in process for Pack-I under Land Acquisition Act-1894 and Asian Development Bank's Safeguard Policy/Land Acquisition and Resettlement Plan.

For Pack-II land acquisition will commence after settlement of alignment issue east of Abbotabad.

He said that pack-I of the Havelian-Mansehra section would be implemented in 2011-14 while Pack-II would be implemented in 2011-15 subject to provision of necessary funds.

He said that after construction of E-35, huge traffic load on Karakoram Highway would be eased.

He said that the Karakoram Highway was constructed to meet the needs of six to seven thousands vehicles, whereas currently over 20,000 vehicles travel on this road daily.(APP

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
GPS works for pakistani roads?? i mean does it also work in cities?? as in, for small streets like in U.S?
Yes infact it does ... but it depends if your GPS device have maps. My Garmin & tomtom don't have Pakistani maps .. so I prefer using my iPhone with direct google based maps. It was my first alone trip to ISB on car so GPS was the only way I survived for two days.

·
Desan da Raja!
1,660 Posts
You can buy Pakistani maps for GPS services, they've been made by Pakistani IT firms.
Nah! You can get free routable Pakistani GPS maps from this website. These are made by GPS enthusiasts using free softwares available on the internet. All the big cities are covered and major highways and motorways too. I have used these on my recent trip to Pakistan and they were pretty accurate:

http://pkmaps.freeforums.org/

·
12,482 Posts
Were you driving a Suzuki Cultus? :D

And how was the traffic. It seems a bit low from the pictures, but I had earlier heard that traffic has increased to a point where there are long ques at the ISB toll plaza. Which day of the week were you travelling?

·
Un-registered User
4,975 Posts
I've noticed that Lahore - Pindi Bhattian section of M2 has a higher volume of traffic and once you cross the M2-M3 interchange, the volume of traffic graudually lowers and heavy vehicles are seen more. And recently, the KSK (Kala shah kaku) toll plaza has also started experiencing long ques of vehicles.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
^^ x2

I traveled on a working day ,Wednesday, so traffic was not much .. but yes ISB & LHR toll plaza are always busy.

Yep I was driving Cultus 09 VXL ^_^

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
Not that I ever wanna use a GPS, but I was just wondering if you can type the whole address and does it work? I tried it on the website, but it didn't.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Not that I ever wanna use a GPS, but I was just wondering if you can type the whole address and does it work? I tried it on the website, but it didn't.
It doesn't but there are many companies working on it .. such as NAQSHA.NET (even before Google Maps, these guys had decent mapping of Lahore/Karachi & Islamabad).

1361 - 1380 of 3911 Posts