Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Indus Priest King
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ISLAMABAD: The last meeting of the Central Development Working Party (CDWP) under the current government has been called on Thursday to clear Rs451 billion worth of Karachi to Peshawar railway track under China-Pakistan Economic Corridor. To be presided over by Deputy Chairman Planning Commission Sartaj Aziz, the meeting would take up a total of 33 projects involving a total estimated cost of about Rs632bn.

Informed sources said the initial total cost of the Mainline-1 (Karachi to Peshawar) was estimated about $8.172bn but the project will be taken up in two phases, most probably through financing from Chinese government concessional loan for which final agreements were being worked out.

The first phase of the project worth Rs451 billion would be awarded through engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contract on the basis of open bidding among selective Chinese companies for completion in 2020, followed by second phase completion by 2022.

On completion of both phases, the project is expected to almost double the speed of the railway transport on the mainline from existing 60-70 kilometre per hour to 120-140. The sources said the first phase would spread between Karachi and Hassan Abdal and even though Pakistan had certain reservations over its costing by China at $4bn, almost $600 million higher that estimates of the Pakistan Railways, these matters had to be settled at a different level while project design and PC-1 had to be cleared on technical parameters worth Rs451bn.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1409681/central-development-working-party-set-to-clear-rs632bn-projects

·
10 Years :)
22,027 Posts
Pakistan sets up committee to review ML-I project

Pakistan has set up an Implementation Committee for the multibillion dollar Mainline-I (ML-I) project of the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) to review the possibility of reducing its scope and cost from the existing $8.2 billion aimed at making it financially viable.

The decision was taken by Cabinet Committee on CPEC, on Wednesday, which was chaired by Federal Minister for Planning and Development Khusro Bakhtyar. It was decided to split the project into more than two phases and also drop some sections that were part of the original plan of constructing 1,872 kilometre long line of Pakistan Railways.

The original plan was to construct the road between Peshawar and Karachi in two phases. The project faces over three years of delay. The cabinet committee discussed the Pakistan Railways ML-1 project in detail, said Bakhtyar while speaking to media-persons after the meeting.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1928973/2-pakistan-sets-committee-review-ml-project/

·
22,027 Posts
Pakistan, China to amend railways ML-1 agreement

Pakistan and China have agreed to amend a framework agreement on implementation of multibillion dollars mainline-I project of the Pakistan Railways in a bid to reduce the size of the much-delayed strategically important scheme and to complete it in three phases.

The decision to split the project, which was once planned to be completed in three years, suggests that work on the single-largest project of the China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) will now take at least six years to complete – from the day of its groundbreaking.

It has been agreed to reduce the length of the project from 1,872km to around 1,680 km, according to the government sources. The government has also decided to exclude the component of building a new 163km long double line between Karachi and Hyderabad from the scope of the framework agreement.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1947929/2-pakistan-china-amend-railways-ml-1-agreement/

·
پاکستان
640 Posts

·
22,027 Posts
ML-I project to create 150,000 jobs: Sheikh Rashid

Minister for Railways Sheikh Rashid Ahmed Thursday said that Mainline-I (ML-I) project from Peshawar to Karachi would create 150,000 job opportunities including 20,000 technical experts in the country.

Addressing a press conference here, the minister said that with the completion of ML-I between Pakistan and China, the project would bring revolution not only in Pakistan Railways but also in the country.

https://nation.com.pk/26-Apr-2019/ml-i-project-to-create-150-000-jobs-sheikh-rashid

·
Registered
735 Posts
Oh bloody hell! It's only 60 km/h atm? Pakistan has to have one of the shitiest railways in the world.

i've seen trains on mainline plowing along at 95km/hr regularly. sometimes even touch 102.

but branch lines are in pathetic condition.
even ML-2 isn't capable of trains going above 45-50 km/hr (this was told by a current Pakrail Train driver)

·
22,027 Posts
Govt allocates Rs4.5b for upgradation of ML-1

The federal government has allocated Rs.4.5 billion for upgradation of Pakistan Railways existing Main Line-1 (ML-1) and establishment of dry port near Havelian under the China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC). Another project to prepare preliminary design and engage the services of consultants for said scheme is already underway with total funding of Rs10.6 billion from which Rs.5.1b has already been spent in last financial year and now an amount of Rs1.8 billion has also been allocated in PSDP 2019-20.

The federal government has allocated a total amount of Rs.16b for ongoing and new schemes of Railways Division for the financial years 2019-20 under the Public Sector Development Programme (PSDP). The budgetary allocation included Rs 11.37 billion for 23 ongoing projects and Rs4.6 billion for five new schemes, according to budgetary document issued here on Tuesday. Regarding the ongoing schemes, an amount of Rs2.4 billion has been earmarked for procurement and manufacturing of 820 High Capacity Bogie Freight Wagons and 230 Passenger Coaches.

·
22,027 Posts
Railway submits PC-1 for upgradation of ML-1 for ECNEC’s approval
PC-I is for package-I only and its final approval would be given by the Executive Committee of National Economic Council

The Ministry of Railways has submitted the PC-I of a project regarding the upgradation of railway’s Main Line-1 (ML-1) to the Planning Commission.

The project is being executed under the China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) and it has been divided into three packages to absorb its budgetary impact on PSDP and the said PC-I is for the package-I only and its final approval would be given by the Executive Committee of National Economic Council (ECNEC).

According to the PC-I submitted in Planning Commission, the estimated cost of the project is $2389.654 million while the project would be completed in four years but once the Government of Pakistan has decided a mode of financing. In all three packages scattered locations of all provinces would be up-graded according to their operational needs and the package-I includes multiple portions of the KPK, Punjab and Sindh provinces.

When contacted, a senior officer of the Ministry of Railways explained that it is a requirement by Chinese government under a mutually agreed framework to first approve the project and award its contract to a firm then they will negotiate the financial mode with the Pakistan for that specific project.

“We have submitted the project in Planning Commission to get the approval from ECNEC and after that a tender in this regard would be flouted”, he explained, adding: “Only Chinese companies would compete for the award of contract.” On the other side, Federal Secretary Railways Sikandar Sultan Raja said it was a ‘strategic project’ and added it will not only increase the speed limit from 65-105km/h to 120-160km/h but also increase the line capacity from 34 to 171 trains on each way per day. “Pakistan Railways has a huge demand for its passenger and freight trains and we will be in position to take our due share once the project would be completed”, he maintained.

The completion of project would increase the volume of freight from 6 to 35 million tonnes per day and increase in passenger trains from 20 to 40 each way per day and the share of railways in freight transport volume would be increased from 4 % to 20 % by 2025.

The project includes up-gradation and doubling of a 1872km long ML-1 from Karachi to Peshawar and Taxila to Havelian while the project would also provide modern segnaling and telecommunication systems.

The old level crossings would be replaced into underpasses and flyovers while fencing of track would also be carried out under this project. In addition to that, a new double track from Karachi to Hyderabad on a new alignment, inducation of 50 locomotives, induction of 300 passenger coaches, 2000 freight wagons and dry port near Havelian is also included in this project.

·
@UzEE
964 Posts
Railway submits PC-1 for upgradation of ML-1 for ECNEC’s approval
PC-I is for package-I only and its final approval would be given by the Executive Committee of National Economic Council

The Ministry of Railways has submitted the PC-I of a project regarding the upgradation of railway’s Main Line-1 (ML-1) to the Planning Commission.

The project is being executed under the China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) and it has been divided into three packages to absorb its budgetary impact on PSDP and the said PC-I is for the package-I only and its final approval would be given by the Executive Committee of National Economic Council (ECNEC).

According to the PC-I submitted in Planning Commission, the estimated cost of the project is $2389.654 million while the project would be completed in four years but once the Government of Pakistan has decided a mode of financing. In all three packages scattered locations of all provinces would be up-graded according to their operational needs and the package-I includes multiple portions of the KPK, Punjab and Sindh provinces.

When contacted, a senior officer of the Ministry of Railways explained that it is a requirement by Chinese government under a mutually agreed framework to first approve the project and award its contract to a firm then they will negotiate the financial mode with the Pakistan for that specific project.

“We have submitted the project in Planning Commission to get the approval from ECNEC and after that a tender in this regard would be flouted”, he explained, adding: “Only Chinese companies would compete for the award of contract.” On the other side, Federal Secretary Railways Sikandar Sultan Raja said it was a ‘strategic project’ and added it will not only increase the speed limit from 65-105km/h to 120-160km/h but also increase the line capacity from 34 to 171 trains on each way per day. “Pakistan Railways has a huge demand for its passenger and freight trains and we will be in position to take our due share once the project would be completed”, he maintained.

The completion of project would increase the volume of freight from 6 to 35 million tonnes per day and increase in passenger trains from 20 to 40 each way per day and the share of railways in freight transport volume would be increased from 4 % to 20 % by 2025.

The project includes up-gradation and doubling of a 1872km long ML-1 from Karachi to Peshawar and Taxila to Havelian while the project would also provide modern segnaling and telecommunication systems.

The old level crossings would be replaced into underpasses and flyovers while fencing of track would also be carried out under this project. In addition to that, a new double track from Karachi to Hyderabad on a new alignment, inducation of 50 locomotives, induction of 300 passenger coaches, 2000 freight wagons and dry port near Havelian is also included in this project.
Can we drop this BS clause from these projects? Chinese government gives loan to Pakistan, which we then use to pay Chinese companies, and then our people are stuck with the burden of paying it back to Chinese government. At the very least, the deals should be that Chinese companies that want to work on these projects must partner with a local Pakistani company along with transferring the skills and technology required.

This would be similar to what China requires foreign companies to do if they want to do business in China, and it's also something India is adapting as well.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Forget developed countries, we are decades behind other developing countries.. Even if we spend billions on upgrading ML-1 the speed of trains will not be close to high speed and it seems trains will continue to run on diesel rather than electricity. Its embarrassing a country of over 200+ million cannot build an efficient railway network.

We can talk about government incompetence but lets not forget people are also to blame. They have never advocated for improving railways. Its seems they are happy burning fuel and getting stuck on traffic. The other day I was watching a program about Lahore's orange line and a guy on the street said he is content riding his bike and would never sit on the train. No one asks people encroaching railway land to leave and they remained silent even when former railway minister, Bilour, said why improve railways when a country like Afghanistan doesn't have one. Crazy isn't it?

·
@UzEE
964 Posts
Forget developed countries, we are decades behind other developing countries.. Even if we spend billions on upgrading ML-1 the speed of trains will not be close to high speed and it seems trains will continue to run on diesel rather than electricity. Its embarrassing a country of over 200+ million cannot build an efficient railway network.

We can talk about government incompetence but lets not forget people are also to blame. They have never advocated for improving railways. Its seems they are happy burning fuel and getting stuck on traffic. The other day I was watching a program about Lahore's orange line and a guy on the street said he is content riding his bike and would never sit on the train. No one asks people encroaching railway land to leave and they remained silent even when former railway minister, Bilour, said why improve railways when a country like Afghanistan doesn't have one. Crazy isn't it?
The dislike for modern public transportation and apartment living, specially in Lahore is indeed because of the people. We somehow believe that if we're not living in a 1 kanal house (even if it's in the middle of nowhere) or not commuting on our personal transport, we're somehow socially inferior.

I'd happily live in an apartment around the city center and use public transport to get around than live in some remote place like Bahria Town and deal with the horrendous traffic every day.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts