SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Indus Priest King
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pakistan Road Names (Google Maps & Wiki Project)​

Many of our local road names are labelled wrong on Google Maps, especially in our cities. Now it's starting to cause problems, especially when you search for addresses or need directions. A lot of these roads are given several different names, despite the fact it is one road. In other cases the name is completely wrong...for example, parts of Wapda Avenue in Lahore is called PIA Main Boulevard?

When Google Mapmaker began in 2008, it seems like many of the edits were accepted without fact checking if the name of the road was indeed called that or if the route was indeed that. As a result, every road now it seems is referred to as "main boulevard" or "link road" and now finally its beginning to case major problems, especially for directions.

So I'm starting a little pet project here and hope all of you can help. The intention is to expand upon these Wiki articles, which hopefully will transfer over to Google Maps. Google Map editors will usually accept the edits if a Wikipedia article exists.

Roads in Pakistan - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roads_in_Pakistan#Municipal_roads

Roads in Karachi - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_streets_in_Karachi
Roads in Faisalabad - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roads_in_Faisalabad
Roads in Lahore - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_streets_in_Lahore
Roads in Multan - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_roads_in_Multan

·
Indus Priest King
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For example. I started a Wiki article named "Lahore-Kasur Road" (or Ferozepur Road) a few months ago. Initially on Google Maps, this road was called 5 different names. From Mozang to Kalma Chowk it was called Ferozepur Road, from Kalma Chowk to Gajjumatta it was called Ferozpur Main Road and from Gajjumata to Kasur it was called Kasur Road and some sections Lahore Kasur Road. It seems someone made the correction recently, and now the entire section from Mozang Chok to Kasur is called "Lahore-Kasur Road". Ideally, the section between Mozang to Gajjumata is locally referred to as Ferzoepur Road. I've submitted an edit to Google Maps, hopefully that edit will be accepted.

Some other problems:

- Khayaban-e-Jinnah is a road that extends from Defence Chok all the way to Lalik Jan Chok. From some reason, half the road is called "DHA Link Road" and the other half Khayaban-e-Jinnah.

- In Islamabad, Kashmir Highway extends from E-75/Murree Road Interchange to M1 & M2 (Islamabad) Interchange and an extension is currently being constructed all the way to the new Islamabad Airport. But on Google Maps, the Kashmir Highway is only labelled until N-5 and beyond that is labelled "Islamabad Motorways Link Road". Such stupid names.

·
Indus Priest King
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My intention is to get the names of the roads right and the route right. Here is an example.

Canal Bank Road Wiki article was a complete mess. I did some research and found out that the road was actually renamed back in 2000 in honour of Annemarie Schimmel (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annemarie_Schimmel) for her works on Islam, Sufism, and Muhammad Iqbal. The government of Pakistan honored Schimmel with its highest civil awards: Sitara-e-Imtiaz and Hilal-e-Imtiaz.

I've since updated the entire article. I've also submitted an edit to Google Maps.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canal_Bank_Road

·
Indus Priest King
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^Pakistanio ko iska naam hi nahi bolna aana
True...I understand. It was just an example. :lol:

It is still called Canal Bank Road...but in honour of her, it's also given a 2nd name.

·
10 Years :)
22,947 Posts
My intention is to get the names of the roads right and the route right. Here is an example.

Canal Bank Road Wiki article was a complete mess. I did some research and found out that the road was actually renamed back in 2000 in honour of Annemarie Schimmel (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annemarie_Schimmel) for her works on Islam, Sufism, and Muhammad Iqbal. The government of Pakistan honored Schimmel with its highest civil awards: Sitara-e-Imtiaz and Hilal-e-Imtiaz.

I've since updated the entire article. I've also submitted an edit to Google Maps.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canal_Bank_Road

^^Pakistanio ko iska naam hi nahi bolna aana
that really difficult name for a road :eek:hno: even i can't pronounce it :lol:

·
Indus Priest King
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was just an example I was giving. Canal Bank Road is still the official name, but they also gave it an honourary name.

Just like Mall Road is given an honourary name "Shahrah-e-Quaid-e-Azam".

·
Registered
Daska | Lahore | Glasgow | London
1,100 Posts
- In Islamabad, Kashmir Highway extends from E-75/Murree Road Interchange to M1 & M2 (Islamabad) Interchange and an extension is currently being constructed all the way to the new Islamabad Airport. But on Google Maps, the Kashmir Highway is only labelled until N-5 and beyond that is labelled "Islamabad Motorways Link Road". Such stupid names.
I created this road and I am 99% sure that Kashmir road ends at GT road.. and on all maps and govt. reference maps road between GT road and M1 is called "Islamabad Motorways Link Road".
As this road is going to Airport it might be names Airport road, Kashmir road or Airport link road. we have to wait till they release airpot address.

Naming conventions in Pakistan is confusing specially when no maps are available. We did extensive search and debate when deciding names for some places.. and for some places we used old paper maps for reference..

Worst thing is when govt. grant new tenders and it place reference name for roads than actual road.
One example is Ferozepur road in Lahore.. We know it start in Lahore but than some where its called Kasur road than Lahore Kasur road.. but if we go through old British Raj maps Ferozpur road extends all way to Lahore Dist. boundary that is current Pakistan India border..

some businesses list their address as Ferozepur road, some as Lahore road and some as Kasur road when they are one same stretch of road.

Even banks, post offices and other official buildings have wrong address that we used to find road names..

Most frequent terms are link road and service road.. but most of time these road have actual name that public does not know.

In Daska my home town there is a road with actual official name as Gujranwala road, but as lari ada is on that road it was called and known as Lari ada road for 30 years than most banks shifted to that road and now its bank road.. no one knows that it was Gujanwala road or Lari ada road..

·
Indus Priest King
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I created this road and I am 99% sure that Kashmir road ends at GT road.. and on all maps and govt. reference maps road between GT road and M1 is called "Islamabad Motorways Link Road".
As this road is going to Airport it might be names Airport road, Kashmir road or Airport link road. we have to wait till they release airpot address.

Naming conventions in Pakistan is confusing specially when no maps are available. We did extensive search and debate when deciding names for some places.. and for some places we used old paper maps for reference..

Worst thing is when govt. grant new tenders and it place reference name for roads than actual road.
One example is Ferozepur road in Lahore.. We know it start in Lahore but than some where its called Kasur road than Lahore Kasur road.. but if we go through old British Raj maps Ferozpur road extends all way to Lahore Dist. boundary that is current Pakistan India border..

some businesses list their address as Ferozepur road, some as Lahore road and some as Kasur road when they are one same stretch of road.

Even banks, post offices and other official buildings have wrong address that we used to find road names..

Most frequent terms are link road and service road.. but most of time these road have actual name that public does not know.

In Daska my home town there is a road with actual official name as Gujranwala road, but as lari ada is on that road it was called and known as Lari ada road for 30 years than most banks shifted to that road and now its bank road.. no one knows that it was Gujanwala road or Lari ada road..
Understood. But you should know, Google maps is more powerful than you think. I'll give you an example. There was a park where I live in Lahore...it was small and unnamed. In 2009 I labeled it Ali Park (Bagh e Ali in Urdu) and I am not joking. In 2011 a sign was put up by PHA which says "Bagh e Ali". This is the power of Google maps...you guys are the ones who are naming everything to be honest.

I understand its very frustrating. But some names are beginning to cause issues and I think common sense should previal. For example DHA Link Road and Khayaban e Jinnah. Many times these "link roads" were simply made up. They are not official. Another issue is keeping one standard....road, avenue, highway in English should translate into Sarak, Khayaban and Shahrah in Urdu translations.

Kashmir Highway also doesn't end on GT Road... it is continous all the way to the M2 M1 junction and the airport extension will extend it. I travel on it many times. Never seen a sign saying"Link Road".

Another example calling Defence as "Defence Housing Authority" is personally a huge problem. I actually got banned 3 weeks from Wikipedia because the moron admins couldn't understand that DHA is the administrative body...like CDA or LDA. I renamed all the articles to simply Defence, Lahore (same with Karachi and Islamabad) and then got banned for 3 weeks because I didn't have"permission" and made the change anyway.

When I tried to reason with them they said "on Google maps it says Defence Housing Authority".

This is why I got upset...and this again proves the power of Google maps.

Google maps actually has more power than you think and I think the editors should take that into consideration. I think it would be advisable to at least look into the name of Defence and the stupid "Phases". Simply writing Defence I, Defence II etc would be easier and clean up the map look which looks confusing and cluttered.

Another issue is translation. On Google maps I am noticing transliteration. This really needs to be addressed. Writing "town" in Urdu doesn't make it Urdu. We should attempt to translate properly.

Last is the housing scheme names clashing with the tehsil and union council names. Lahore has 7 tehsils and about 150 UCs...none of them are labeled. Rather, private company names are.

Bahria Town = Bahria Town Pvt Ltd

Looking at southern Lahore and the names labelled for these housing estates is embarrassing. These are actually private company names, not the names of the locality.

And honestly LDA probably uses Google maps to make road signs. I'm not joking...my example is evidence.

I hope some thing can be done about it.

·
Registered
Daska | Lahore | Glasgow | London
1,100 Posts
I totally agree with you about naming places.. and power of maps.. I have expatriated this as well.

I used this map as reference for motorway link road, and even the toll plaza address was link road.. I totally agree that it should be Kashmir highway till airport now.

Official map of M1 when it was constructed.
http://www.findpk.com/cybercity/Travel_Maps_of_Pakistan/images/m2.jpg

We used official maps for these new housing societies to find out road names and sub sectors.. problem is that no housing society will publish a proper map other than to sell plots.

momers is a Lahore local and he was most buy mapper for these areas of Lahore. am I am sure he was taking full care to name these places.

It was struggle to map features first before spammers or other users map them wrong..

In Lahore Defence is used but in other cities they use DHA for developments.

after mapmaker updating maps it very difficult.. I submitted a spelling correction some time ago still waiting response.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.