Massive church:

Fontana Pretoria:

City Hall:

more to come.....

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Christos, edubejar, MunichPictures1970 for your compliments....stay tuned as there is more to come.

It looks nice. Is it safe there?
No worries, I felt as safe in Palermo as in any other large Italian city I have been to.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The photos dont really portray it as a pretty city, the streetscape looks very poor and squalid. Are there nicer areas in the city?
I find the Fontana Pretoria, Politeama, Teatro Massimo, the churches and surroundings to be quite beautiful, but there are more photographs to come.

The streetscape that you see as poor and squalid is very vibrant though and one of the more fascinating aspects of Palermo for me.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Nice buildings and a bit depressing city for the decaying state of it.

Thanks for the pictures.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
More streetscapes from the city centre: from solid looking baroque buildings to narrow streets with laundry hanging from the balconies.

Example of the lack of valorization of Palermo's historic patrimony: ugly commercial sign in front of the arabesque San Cataldo:

A nicer shot of San Cataldo and the Martorana from the Norman period:

The austere interior of San Cataldo (built between 1154 and 1160):

The far more decorated interiors of the the Martorana (1143):

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
The photos dont really portray it as a pretty city, the streetscape looks very poor and squalid. Are there nicer areas in the city?
:eek:mg:

There are some of the worldwide most important baroque examples.
A mix of arabesque and european culture.

One of the biggest historical city centers of Europe, with so many noticable Churches, buildings and squares...

The fact it's so dirty is another point...

·
Bike It!
22,027 Posts
Great thread. I would like to visit the city once.
Is it a nice city to walk around, or is there too much traffic always and everywhere?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Is it a nice city to walk around, or is there too much traffic always and everywhere?
The traffic around the city is absolutely insane by our standards but it's not really a problem when you're exploring the historic centre, there are a lot of small streets and squares whithout traffic. I tought it was much worse in Messina with it's broad streets. You just have to expect a lot of chaos in Sicily but it adds to the lively atmosfere ;)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can walk around easily or use the bus. I wouldn't suggest driving inside the city unless you are used to chaotic driving and have solid nerves :D

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Another photograph of San Domenico:

Two of the Quattro Canti: the baroque 4 corners honoring four Spanish kings, 4 palermitan saints, and the 4 rivers that originally criss-crossed the city:

.....more to come.....

1 - 20 of 79 Posts