Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 2361 Posts

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(This has already been noted in the Business in Liverpool thread, but I think it's worthy of its own).

This thread is for the redevelopment of a site on Pall Mall, adjacent to the city's CBD, on the site of the former Exchange Station which closed in 1977. The plans call for a £200m investment to firstly deliver 400,000 sq ft. of Grade A+ office space in three buildings, while a second phase would see a mixed use approach with residential, hotels, and leisure under consideration. The 1.2 hectare site of the proposed office building was acquired by Liverpool City Council in 2016 from the Home & Communities Agency, with the express aim of delivering new-build office space, something the city has seen a lack of investment in during recent years. The adjacent site, covering around three hectares, is where the mixed use second phase would be located. The entire project is proposed to be delivered between 2018-2025.

More information on the project can be found here at Regenerating Liverpool - http://regeneratingliverpool.com/project/pall-mall-exchange/

On 23rd March, it was announced that Kier, who are already delivering the Kaplan International College at Paddington Village, and CTP has entered into a joint venture partnership with Liverpool City Council to deliver the project -

From Liverpool Express -
Development partner confirmed for £200m Pall Mall scheme

A joint venture partnership between CTP, Kier Property and Liverpool City Council, has been formally appointed to deliver the £200million Pall Mall scheme, progressing plans to transform the gateway to Liverpool’s central business district.

The JV was confirmed as development partner at a Cabinet meeting this morning, a decision that will see the team regenerate the vast 1.6 ha site to the rear of Exchange Station, subject to planning approval.

The masterplan comprises 400,000 sq ft of much-needed Grade A+ office space for the city, as well as associated leisure, retail and landscaped public realm.

The scheme is significantly important for the city as it is expected to attract considerable inward investment and create 1,800 jobs.
Full article here - https://www.liverpoolexpress.co.uk/development-partner-confirmed-200m-pall-mall-scheme/

Renders
https://flic.kr/p/244yJpz
Copyright to the copyright holder.

·
Just something
9,270 Posts
Looks 'solid'...

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
(This has already been noted in the Business in Liverpool thread, but I think it's worthy of its own).

This thread is for the redevelopment of a site on Pall Mall, adjacent to the city's CBD, on the site of the former Exchange Station which closed in 1977. The plans call for a £200m investment to firstly deliver 400,000 sq ft. of Grade A+ office space in three buildings, while a second phase would see a mixed use approach with residential, hotels, and leisure under consideration. The 1.2 hectare site of the proposed office building was acquired by Liverpool City Council in 2016 from the Home & Communities Agency, with the express aim of delivering new-build office space, something the city has seen a lack of investment in during recent years. The adjacent site, covering around three hectares, is where the mixed use second phase would be located. The entire project is proposed to be delivered between 2018-2025.

More information on the project can be found here at Regenerating Liverpool - http://regeneratingliverpool.com/project/pall-mall-exchange/

On 23rd March, it was announced that Kier, who are already delivering the Kaplan International College at Paddington Village, and CTP has entered into a joint venture partnership with Liverpool City Council to deliver the project -

From Liverpool Express -

Full article here - https://www.liverpoolexpress.co.uk/development-partner-confirmed-200m-pall-mall-scheme/

Renders

Really hope this happens pronto. It would be great to see the scale of RSA or the former Littlewoods building (or larger) eventually take the rest of the former Exchange Station site too.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD SIGNATURE LIVING BE ALLOWED NEAR THESE BUILDINGS.

·
Human Being
43,373 Posts
It's nice on a summer's day for somewhere to sit on your lunch break but you're talking a few days a year in reality. It's the problem with our climate.

People go mad these days though for losing green space which could halt it.
It will be replaced by what these days is known as a pocket park.

·
Registered
633 Posts

From Liverpool Express -

Renders

This , together with the airport expansion news and KQ, is probably the best announcement of the year so far. Great to see.

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If this wasn't bloomin planned to be phased only to 2025 I'd be more excited. It really needs to go nuclear and build out the whole thing in one mega build.
I'm actually OK with the timing because the need for new office space in the city is clear, and that is what is proposed to be delivered first, so no issues there. While I don't have any major issues with the proposed mix of the second phase, I'd like to think that the first phase would be such a big success that it would encourage a re-think on the second phase, and it would comprise further office buildings. A big bang approach would not allow that to happen. If holding back on phase two can potentially deliver more office space, it might be worth the wait.

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
To be fair this office scheme is a dead cert now. LCC have already budgeted for the borrowing. There's no "market viability issues on it because LCC are only doing it because the market failed in the first place.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
I'm actually OK with the timing because the need for new office space in the city is clear, and that is what is proposed to be delivered first, so no issues there. While I don't have any major issues with the proposed mix of the second phase, I'd like to think that the first phase would be such a big success that it would encourage a re-think on the second phase, and it would comprise further office buildings. A big bang approach would not allow that to happen. If holding back on phase two can potentially deliver more office space, it might be worth the wait.
To be fair a big chunk of the first phase of Spinningfields in Manchester was residential but there was ample space left over for the eventual surge in commercial development there and I think the whole thing was at least anchored by RBS and the Justice Building.

Perhaps momentum will spread to Liverpool Waters and Moorfields from this Pall Mall itself ends up being largely residential large scale in the second phase?

·
Human Being
43,373 Posts
Will they build without an anchor tenant?

Will this result in the continued shift of businesses from the historic commercial district rather than ‘new to the city’ business?
Probably a bit of both. That’s what you see in Manchester new office developments too - lots of re-locations from within the city region. Plus, if you have a nice, new shiny building that’s available when a specific need crops up, then you have a better chance of winning a bid, obviously. Now that Peel have admitted that they have failed to secure new businesses requiring large new office developments at Liverpool Waters, the city can get on with developing stuff in the actual heart of the city, unhindered by Peel’s interests. An ice breaker at last.

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
Unfortunately this isn't something you can break the ice and expect incremental winning, either you go for it or you don't.

The scale of this is not going to suit a major occupier, and so you're only going to have the usual half a floor, one floor, two units type of occupiers. Nothing wrong with those, but it will take a long time to fill up, and when recession hits these are the first to empty out. That's why other places have been keen to get high profile big occupiers - it's about power base building for the future.

In terms of the building itself, I don't like it. Along with being too small and nowhere near ambitious enough, the downstairs will absolutely attract rough sleepers and beggars (please note, before anyone says to the contrary, that I did point out the obvious problems that would arise re the tempest - I was proven right then on the vandalism front, and I'm right now). It might also pose a safety risk at night time, as it's going to provide dark recesses for congregation. It makes a currently pleasant street look fairly dark too.

The brick effect looks to me like it's going to be the same that is on City Place in Chester. That's OK for somewhere out of the way in Chester, but is it really what should count as top quality development in a major city?

I can't also help but notice that the style of the building itself looks like it would very much suit conversion to loft style apartments in the future, if need be...

Nothing like confidently stepping forward.

In summary: When those who have meant to deliver meaningful growth to the city have delivered diddly-squat in 10 years, why on earth is anyone here crossing their fingers and hoping for change after all this time? There'll be no re-think on "phase 2", and 2025 to get a few office buildings built?? 7 years??

Buildings themselves mean nothing unless they're part of something bigger. Concentrate on your elections, not on meaningless fluff. Then you might have something to look forward to.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
Unfortunately this isn't something you can break the ice and expect incremental winning, either you go for it or you don't.

The scale of this is not going to suit a major occupier, and so you're only going to have the usual half a floor, one floor, two units type of occupiers. Nothing wrong with those, but it will take a long time to fill up, and when recession hits these are the first to empty out. That's why other places have been keen to get high profile big occupiers - it's about power base building for the future.

In terms of the building itself, I don't like it. Along with being too small and nowhere near ambitious enough, the downstairs will absolutely attract rough sleepers and beggars (please note, before anyone says to the contrary, that I did point out the obvious problems that would arise re the tempest - I was proven right then on the vandalism front, and I'm right now). It might also pose a safety risk at night time, as it's going to provide dark recesses for congregation. It makes a currently pleasant street look fairly dark too.

The brick effect looks to me like it's going to be the same that is on City Place in Chester. That's OK for somewhere out of the way in Chester, but is it really what should count as top quality development in a major city?

I can't also help but notice that the style of the building itself looks like it would very much suit conversion to loft style apartments in the future, if need be...

Nothing like confidently stepping forward.

In summary: When those who have meant to deliver meaningful growth to the city have delivered diddly-squat in 10 years, why on earth is anyone here crossing their fingers and hoping for change after all this time? There'll be no re-think on "phase 2", and 2025 to get a few office buildings built?? 7 years??

Buildings themselves mean nothing unless they're part of something bigger. Concentrate on your elections, not on meaningless fluff. Then you might have something to look forward to.
Agree with all that, just didn't want to say it as for me to say it tends to attract a wave of haters kicking off.

But yes, this isn't good enough (nor is the tiny 10 year investment strategy for Liverpool Airport either in my view compared to billions being spent not too far away) and whilst this is otherwise welcomed on Pall Mall it is still another example of 'meh' attitude towards Liverpool and 'Woo! Manchester'.

1 - 20 of 2361 Posts