Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Moderator
Joined
·
18,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Palmyra is an unincorporated town in central Virginia, about 20 miles southeast of Charlottesville. It is the seat of Fluvanna County. The population is around 100.

Palmyra was mainly settled in 1828, when the county seat was moved here from a rural location south of the Rivanna River. Since Fluvanna County has always been rural, Palmyra has always remained small, never being more than a little courthouse community. Around 1930, the James Madison Highway passed slightly around Palmyra to the east, preserving a quiet courthouse area.



The old Fluvanna County Courthouse, on Court Square. The courthouse was built in 1831. The courthouse is one of very few county courthouses in Virginia from this period to survive in such an intact state, almost completely unaltered since 1831, except for seating inside.



The old courthouse is notable for the inscription above the door, which reads "The maxim held scared by every free people/Obey the laws".



The old county clerk's office, on Court Square. The office was built in 1830, and has also been used as a library.



An old lawyer's office, on Court Square.



The Fluvanna County Treasurer's Office, on Court Square.



The Confederate monument, in Civil War Park on Court Square. The monument was dedicated in 1910.



The Old Stone Jail, on Stone Jail Street. The jail was built in 1828.



The Fluvanna County Courthouse, on Main Street. The courthouse was built in 2001.



Millstones on the grounds of the new courthouse. The millstones date back to around 1780, and were originally located at mills near the vicinity of the arsenal at Point Of Fork.



The Office of the Registrar, on Main Street.



The Doc Madison House, on Main Street. The house was built in 1854.



Buildings on Main Street.



The Palmyra United Methodist Church, on Palmyra Lane. The church was built in 1830.



A house on Main Street.



A house on Main Street.



Buildings on Main Street.



A house on Main Street.



A house on Courthouse Road.



Buildings on James Madison Highway, signed as US Route 15.



The Rivanna River flows west around the community, south to the James River.

 
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Top