SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Super Moderator
27,629 Posts
There is actually a height restrictions thread on skyscrapercity but I am unable to copy the link right now.Japan has a restriction of 300m because of seismic activity,Cape Town has a restriction of 150m to preserve natural beauty,Berlin has a restriction of 100m to preserve culture etc.I don't know the reason for Westlands only plot area ratio
DC also has a height restriction (buildings cannot be taller than th Washington monument) I guess because of security reasons....but why would Westlands have height restrictions....its not that close to State House.

· Super Moderator
27,629 Posts
DC's height restriction has nothing to do with security, it is about symbol of power in the Capitol. No building can be taller than the Capitol Building. The Capitol is the symbol of American democracy and power. Ours is a strange theory, in fact, there is no law about these things. I would like this myth to be busted!! We found this myth, grew up with it and continue to believe, but it's time to bust or prove it. Bring it on so we can see it...
There's a law and its called the height of buildings act of 1910, its been the subject of numerous debates on DC local news for as long as I can remember....but yes its still law.....less than 5 buildings are taller than the Washington monument and the Capitol but they were all given waivers.

As for why there's a restriction there's different versions/myths from security to heritage to views etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Height_of_Buildings_Act_of_1910

· Super Moderator
27,629 Posts
is that right?
According this website, yes...............haven't seen any official word from safcom about it tho

'Listed Telco Safaricom will move its headquarters to newly-inaugurated Garden City Mall in the next two years, sources indicate.

The new headquarters will be located in the second phase of the Garden City project which has now acquired 15 more acres from EABL for the purpose.

Safaricom is set to build a 5-acre campus on this land where it will move its HQs and business units.'

http://nairobitech.blogspot.com/2015/09/safaricom-to-move-headquarters-to.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.