SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
122,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've uploaded many photos to my website at : http://www.geocities.com/asiaglobe/gallery
Paris Part 1 : La Tour Eiffel | Part 2 : La Défense | Part 3 : Montmartre & Sacre Coeur | Part 4 : Notre Dame
Brussels Part 1 : Grand Place | Part 2 : Walking Tour | Part 3 : Manneken Pis, Night Life, Streets | Part 4 : Rooftops, Palais de Justice, Palais Royal
Frankfurt Aerials | Munich Airport

Gare du Nord is a major hub for Eurostar trains to London and Thalys trains to Brussels and Amsterdam. Transilien suburban trains also leave from this station.

This was my first stop in Paris. My friend wanted to go to London and I took him there to check out the ticket prices. I was playing around with my camera's settings, so the colours in the photos change now and then.

Around the neighborhood

·
Banned
1,805 Posts
TGV : "You talking to me ?"

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
great thread idea ! i really like gare du Nord...so busy, cosmopolitan, very different ! the renovation has converted it into a very facinating place...it feels like an airport (a very very busy one) at times !

how did u find this station hkskyline ? did u find your way easily in this enormous station (whic is i think much bigger than grand Central station), how did it feel ?

·
122,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After being amazed by several train stations in London, I put train stations as a high priority for Paris. My friend was trying to convince me to take him to London for a day, so I took him to Gare du Nord to check the prices for Eurostar and stop by the Paris info point for some maps and guidebooks. We actually passed by it on the way to the city from Charles de Gaulle.

Gare du Nord is easy to navigate. It's a big station, but I don't think it's easy to get lost in there. The layout is similar to their London counterparts. I actually came back a few days later to take the Thalys train to Brussels.

I also visited several other train stations. Once I find the photos I'll post them as well, but I have several thousand photos to go through so it might take some time before I stumble across them.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
hkskyline said:
Gare du Nord is easy to navigate.
well some years ago it wasn't really the case, they did a great job with the renovation, they actually tore down a former multi-stories parking lot and built those glass buildings that u showed in your pix...

architecturally speaking, it's not the nicest station in paris...but the nicest ones (Gare de l'Est and gare St-Lazare station) are being heavily renovated too...so it's not easy to see their beauty for now...

Montparnasse station (close to montparnasse tower) is awful...althought quite modern.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Cool TGV hehe ;)
Went to Paris back in Feb on a Eurostar and that's where I get off/on the train. Too bad I THINK the signs are not really clear enough coz I had a bit of a trouble finding the underground. There's a place where arrows point at opposite directions for the underground... Anyways...

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
ah Gare du Nord...used that station many a times to or from London but also on a roundtrip once to Brussels. The glass addition is interesting but I think they could have done a better job, especially since Waterloo and even Gare du Midi (?) in Brussels look better or more impressive. Personally of the 6 Paris intercity train stations, I prefer Gare de Montparnasse. Even if it's so 80s and early 90s, I like the modern look it has and the two symmetrical colossal 60s-looking buildings which house a bunch of offices of I don't know what.

The subway there is a major hub and the neighborhood is very ethnic...great ethnic food nearby...a bit ghetto, but that is what gives it its charm :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts