SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Épater la Bourgeoisie
20,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What an immense impression Paris made upon me. It is the most extraordinary place in the world!

Charles Dickens

What Charlie said all these years ago still holds true and despite its detractors Paris remains the most imposing, attractive and sophisticated capital in Europe. Divided into arrondissements and criss-crossed by the famous boulevards - courtesy of Monsieur Haussmann - it is the perfect blue-print of how to build a city. But there's more to the city than the wide tree-lined streets, bistros and brasseries - there's grit, and village-feel, leafy squares and industry...urbanista playground, foodie capital and culture heaven "Paris is an air and a scent and a state of mind"...it is truly Capitale du Monde.

Le Soundtrack

Don't forget to like and leave a comment!

1. Avenue de la Grande Armée as seen from the top of the Arc de Triomph with the towers of La Defense in the background. Very impressive urban vista, Paris skyline, after Frankfurt, is easily the best in Europe. Note the tags on the chimney foreground right, that's a common sight in Paris, I wonder how do these guys get up there? If you do this sort of thing or know who does, let me know, I wouldn't mind doing some rooftopping (for photographic purposes, of course, not tagging).

2. The famous Avenue des Champs-Élysées with The Louvre in the background, another grand vista.

3. Close up.

4. Avenue des Champs-Élysées at street level, who says Paris does not do modern architecture? It does and pretty well.

5. Avenue Foch is one of the most expensive addresses in the world.

6. Fantastic buildings, just look at the size of the windows and those roof-terraces!

7. Random building on Avenue Kleber, Henri Büsser lived in this street.

8. Marriott Hotel on Avenue de Wagram.

9. Close up.

10. Not quite sure where this is, but I like it, it's an old building but one that has been covered in this cool patterned mesh.

·
Épater la Bourgeoisie
20,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
11. Castel Béranger built in 1897-98 and designed by Hector Guimard who also designed the famous Paris metro signs and many of its stations (although Porte Dauphine is the only original station left). This building made him famous, but his contemporaries called it Castel Deranged. They should see the dull glass boxes we put up.

12. You can't see it clearly in this picture but the vestibule is made to look like a cave. There's a good documentary by the BBC on Art-Nouveau called The allure Of Art-Nouveau which examines this building (and many other) in detail.

13. Note the sea horses. They are not just decoration - they support the building.

14. Sadly the great man was forgotten just as quick as he rose to fame. Afraid of the Nazis and the inevitable war he fled France for New York, where he died. Adams Hotel, 80th Street and Fifth Avenue May 20th 1942.

15. Continuing with the Art-Nouveau theme (Paris is absolutely full of them), here we have 29 Avenue Rapp designed by Jules Aimé Lavirotte from Lyon.

to be continued...

·
16,705 Posts
Cool shots so far. They do however seem a little bit over-exposed.

Reactions: El_Greco

·
Épater la Bourgeoisie
20,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
some more

21. Eiffel Tower from the previous angle has been seen many, many times, so I looked for something more unique.

22. Next day.

23. This angle is also pretty unique, I'd say.

24. Front de Seine also known as Beaugrenelle, a collection of towers built in the 1970s. Looks alright from a distance, but once you get close its pretty horrible - roads, tunnels, dead ends and pedestrian overpasses, all quite typical of the 1970s urban thinking.

25. Who says French don't like America? They sent the bigger and better version of this to New York!

·
Épater la Bourgeoisie
20,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
26. Anyone seen Polanski's Frantic with Harrison Ford? This is the place where the climax of the movie took place.

27. The double-decker Pont de Bir-Hakeim, as seen in Inception with DiCaprio.

28. Love those massive buildings! This is a 30 second exposure btw.

1 - 20 of 194 Posts