SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 6616 Posts

·
Success and Happiness
6,696 Posts
The lighting looks cosy. What's that cogwheel kind of design doing up there? It's non-functional, right? :)

Would it be better with some contemporary paintings in the circular-designed windows? (They are for adverts?)

It seems most European subways do not have platform doors to prevent accidental falls onto the tracks.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I think its because the Mass transit in Europe is so large that it would take a long time and a lot of money in order to built PSD. While places like HK, which doesnt have a lot of stations will be easier. Also, not to mention that it took them 6 years just to install all 30 underground station. If we look at Europe's mass transit, it has well over 100 stations. The only reason to add PSD are to the new station, otherwise no.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Yea, its not worth it to spend billions of dollars just to install PSD just to protect those people who want to kill themselves.

·
¡Viva el metro!
DavoR
38,232 Posts
kostya said:
For me, the best metro system ever. Thanks for the great pics! :eek:kay:
Why that? Can you explain it, please?
:?

·
¡Viva el metro!
DavoR
38,232 Posts
sfgadv02 said:
Yea, its not worth it to spend billions of dollars just to install PSD just to protect those people who want to kill themselves.
In Barcelona, platform security doors are going to be installed in lines L11, L9, L10 and later in L5 and some stations of L6 and L7.
;)
L9/L10 are under construction now!
:wink2:

·
SSC Veteran
10,722 Posts
bitxofo said:
Why that? Can you explain it, please?
:?
Because, i like the art nuveau entrances...it's big, every line is something different, it's old and new in the same time, it's dense. After all, Paris is my favourite place :)

·
Enlightened user
5,782 Posts
sfgadv02 said:
I heard those rubber wheel have to be replaced every 2 months.
It can't be every 2 months!
Could be 2 years, but i still doubt it's such a short time!

·
Rugged Individualist
2,999 Posts
hyacinthus said:
It seems most European subways do not have platform doors to prevent accidental falls onto the tracks.
In Paris, only Lane 14 has such doors.

I think it's being considered for Lane 4 and Line 1 (which should be turned into an automatic lane someday)

Metro in Paris is great but:
- it's dirty
- it's overcrowded
- the last metro leaves at around 12:30AM
- there are a lot of stops, maybe too many

·
Success and Happiness
6,696 Posts
Bender said:
In Paris, only Lane 14 has such doors.

I think it's being considered for Lane 4 and Line 1 (which should be turned into an automatic lane someday)
I was discussing this casually with a friend yesterday. He told me that to save energy, the passengers had to unlock and open the train doors to alight. However, doors were closed automatically before the train moves on. This is something new to me :)

Bender said:
Metro in Paris is great but:
- it's dirty
- it's overcrowded
- the last metro leaves at around 12:30AM
- there are a lot of stops, maybe too many
I guess most trains stop operation at that kind of hours unless there is sufficient demand for it.

1 - 20 of 6616 Posts