SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1190 Posts

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
It has closed since 1939, at the beginning of WWII. Never re-opened later, because too close of Strasbourg-St-Denis (100 m between the closer access !)
I see. It looked like it had a lot of potential. But having two stations within only a few km of each other definitely does not make sense.

Are there any other stations that have suffered the same fate, probably never to reopen again?

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
Yes !

4 stations have closed since 1939, never reopened :

Arsenal, between Bastille & Quai de la Rapée, M5
Champ de Mars, between La-Motte-Picquet - Grenelle, M8
Croix Rouge, between Sèvres - Babylone & Mabillon, M10
Saint-Martin, between Strasbourg - Saint-Denis & République, M8 & M9 (reopened few months after the Liberation of Paris in 1944)

5 closed in 1939 and reopened later (date of reopening) :

Varenne, between Invalides & Saint-François-Xavier, M13 (1962, dec, 24th)
Bel Air, between Daumesnil & Daumesnil, M6 (1963, jan, 7th)
Rennes, between Sèvres - Babylone & Notre-Dame-des-Champs, M12 (1968, may, 20th reopened with special timetables : closed on sunday and after 8pm ; normal timetables since 2004)
Liège (my station !), between Saint-Lazare & Place de Clichy, M13 (1968, sept, 16th, same special timetables ; normal timetables since 2006)
Cluny, between Maubert - Mutualité & Odéon, M10 (1988, feb, 17th, so 50 years after closing - with a new name : Cluny - La Sorbonne - but in order to avoid connection with RER B)

Some knew a different fate, I'll tell more later !
Thanks

Inside a MF67

The trains of this line have serious graffity problem outside but the interior remind clean.
I agree. But I like the rehabbed trains, they look good inside. :)

MP59

Refurbished MF77

I never saw a refurbished MF77.

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
Does anyone know a more precise time frame as to when we can start seeing MP 89s in service on the Line 4? I know the range is 2010/2011, but would it be more like late 2010 if anything?

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
^^
So it def. looks like early 2011 then. Just curious...thanks.

My brother will not be seeing the MP 05s then. He'll be in Europe in early April (next month) & will spend a day in Paris. But at least he'll have the chance to ride the metro. I went to Paris in March 09 and love the metro!

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
^^
It probably wasn't in service...just passing through :lol:

The lights within the cabs were not even turned on.

Yes, the steel wheels keep the rubber tyred trains on the go. That makes tons of sense. I actually found a video somewhere about how the rubber tyred trains are made. Specifically the MP 89 type trains used in Paris, Santiago, Laussane, and I think one other place if I'm correct.

1 - 20 of 1190 Posts