SkyscraperCity banner

6281 - 6300 of 6832 Posts

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
It seems to me that for a very expensive line built to alleviate lines on the city's busiest axis (RER A and Métro 1), the 14 hasn't been that succesful. But perhaps this involves a large number of transfers and is therefore hidden in the data. The extensions of the line will help as well of course.

I'd also love to see ridership data for the RER.

·
Registered
469 Posts
It seems to me that for a very expensive line built to alleviate lines on the city's busiest axis (RER A and Métro 1), the 14 hasn't been that succesful. But perhaps this involves a large number of transfers and is therefore hidden in the data. The extensions of the line will help as well of course.
Line 14 has one of the highest ridership par km, the highest ridership per station,and is crowded despite having the highest capacity of all the métro network. Sure it's not unsuccessful.

With the extensions it's expected that the ridership will double, from the current 500 000 trips per weekday to one million.

Having very few non-interchange stations, it is understated in this graph as the share of riders coming from another line is likely higher.

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
At the same time, you could see a MF67 with a rare livery. A black strip on the face.

MF 67 Pont Neuf by Minato ku, sur Flickr
MF67 Zebulon. A MF 67 in stainless steel

MF67 Zebulon by Minato ku, sur Flickr

Pasteur with a Mouton Duvernet style on line 6.

MP73 Pasteur by Minato ku, sur Flickr

In the report, you could believe that this is the inside of the new MP73 but it seems it's the first class of the older MF67 (these were pretty new at this time).

MF67 premiere classe by Minato ku, sur Flickr
I find it ironic that exposed stainless steel trains didn't work out in much of Europe yet is mainstay in the US.

·
Public Transport Fan
515 Posts
London did have unpainted aluminium trains, but it succumbed to the same graffiti epidemic as New York did, and the tarnished look from the attempts to remove the graffiti made Underground trains look very dull by the end of the 1980s.

When the Underground introduced the current livery of white and blue with red doors and fronts, it became popular because it coincided with the refurbishment programme that introduced (mostly) colour-coded interiors.

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
Paris ghost metro station "Croix Rouge" to be revamped into trendy restaurant by 2022.

Croix Rouge station, built in 1923 on line 10 between Mabillon and Sèvres-Babylone, closed down in 1939 like many other stations when France entered world war 2. However, contrary to most of the other stations closed then, it has never opened again ever after.

In partnership with the Paris City Council and the RATP, the real estate investor will convert it into a restaurant by 2022. The chosen concept has been designed by the agency SAME architectes.

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
Trains run actually on the tracks but don't stop?
Yes, the station was closed and never opened back because it was too close from Sèvres Babylone:

Here's how look the station nowadays:

·
Registered
14,570 Posts
That door wall at Montrouge does not really help to improve the look and feel of that station platform. I know that is not the reason why the installed it but I wonder if it could not have been realized in a slightly more attractive fashion. Maybe a nice floor overhaul would have already done the trick.

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
That door wall at Montrouge does not really help to improve the look and feel of that station platform. I know that is not the reason why the installed it but I wonder if it could not have been realized in a slightly more attractive fashion. Maybe a nice floor overhaul would have already done the trick.
Yes, I find those doors on line 4 are a bit too tall which reduces the feeling of space and openness. Personally I like the specific feel of the Paris metro and I appreciate the lower doors on line 1 as they don't fully segregate the space :

But anyway, I may be a minority here as those doors on line 4 are more on nowadays international standards, so I don't know. :dunno:

It's important to notice that line 4 stations renovation works are still at a very early stage. They'll be fully redone, including the pavement, the vault, the lighting and everything. So it may be still too early to tell how it will look once works will be completed in 2022.

·
Banned
462 Posts
That Croix Rouge restaurant will probably have the most polluted air of any restaurant in the world. Thanks, but I won't be a client!

PS: Air pollution inside the Paris Métro reaches 12 times the levels of outdoor air pollution.

·
Registered
14,570 Posts
Yes, I find those doors on line 4 are a bit too tall which reduces the feeling of space and openness. Personally I like the specific feel of the Paris metro and I appreciate the lower doors on line 1 as they don't fully segregate the space :

But anyway, I may be a minority here as those doors on line 4 are more on nowadays international standards, so I don't know. :dunno:

It's important to notice that line 4 stations renovation works are still at a very early stage. They'll be fully redone, including the pavement, the vault, the lighting and everything. So it may be still too early to tell how it will look once works will be completed in 2022.
Yes, that other examples looks way more appealing and substantially less claustrophobic in my opinion.

Good to hear that the work there is not yet done. In that case my comment was premature indeed. Let's see how it will look like when they are done.

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
That Croix Rouge restaurant will probably have the most polluted air of any restaurant in the world. Thanks, but I won't be a client!

PS: Air pollution inside the Paris Métro reaches 12 times the levels of outdoor air pollution.
For obvious sanitation reasons, the air in the restaurant will be totally isolated from the one in the tunnel. You may haven't noticed but there are huge glass windows totally isolating the area from the one in which trains are circulating. This should also significantly reduce trains noise as well.

The restaurant will have its own independent air circulation system, which is the major challenge according to the architects of the project, the SAME agency.

Reactions: hell66 and Attus

·
Registered
99 Posts
Annual ridership of the Paris metro lines over 25 years.
Please note that those figures only count people entering in the network, they exclude people coming from another metro line at a transfer station.

Figures are merged for both
and
in one hand and
and
in the other hand. To give an idea, in 2003, the traffic was of 1.7 million passengers on
and of 3.6 million passengers on

We can wonder what happens to
since 2012? I really have no clue. :dunno:

And what happened between 1994 and 1995?

·
Registered
12,697 Posts
Maybe this:

1995 France bombings

July – October 1995: Paris Métro bombings (terror attack), committed by Algerian extremists – 8 killed and more than 100 injured.
On 6 October, the day of Khaled Kelkal’s funeral, another gas bottle exploded in the Maison Blanche station of the Paris Métro, wounding twelve.
Additional bombs were found and cleared without casualties during morning searches of Metro and RER stations, often in restrooms. Increased security mandated the removal of all public trash receptacles, to prevent bombs from being hidden within.

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
And what happened between 1994 and 1995?
There's been a major strike in December 1995 during which the whole metro was closed for a whole month.

The last really important strike was in 2007. We can see it as well in the graph as the trafic artificially stagnated that year in a period when it was significantly increasing. This explains why there is such a boost in 2008.

The Paris metro used to be known for its regular strikes, but the French government enacted a new law in 2007 to enforce a minimum service during strikes (which was the reason of the 2007 strike). Since then, RATP have set up a team of metro drivers who are certified to operate on all lines and who can replace drivers if there is a strike on one line. As a result, there's been some strikes since 2007 but they had nearly no impact on traffic.

Things are different on the SNCF network though.

Reactions: alexandru.mircea

·
Banned
462 Posts
Yes, the reason for the big dip is this:

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grèves_de_1995_en_France

I was there, it was insane. 3 weeks without a single Métro circulating. And 20 years of economic reform paralysis that followed... France is still suffering from this seminal momen

The same happened in May 1968, but back then they sent the army to transport people (my father told me how the military transported people from Vincennes to the center of Paris back then). In 1995 Chirac didn't have the guts to send the army, so we had to walk for 3 weeks, in the middle of winter.

6281 - 6300 of 6832 Posts