SkyscraperCity banner

6361 - 6380 of 6836 Posts

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Doors opening just before the train stops: Impossible in London due to obsession with Health & Safety laws in the UK.
Actually the A and C stock on the Metropolitan and Circle lines often released the doors before stopping, just the same as in Paris. You didn't get the satisfaction of holding up the lever to do it like in Paris though... newer trains in Paris don't do it either now

·
17,119 Posts
Neuilly-sur-Seine is 3.73 km² (1.44 sq mi)
Avenue Charles de Gaulle (between Porte Maillot and Neuilly bridge) is about 2km long (1.24 mi)

Lourmel
Tracteur à marche autonome (TAM) work train waiting on station.

Lourmel by Minato ku, sur Flickr

·
17,119 Posts
Montparnasse - Bienvenüe

Platform doors
The countdown clocks seem to exaggerate the waiting time at some points.

·
Registered
13,516 Posts
Montparnasse - Bienvenüe

Platform doors
The countdown clocks seem to exaggerate the waiting time at some points.

In this video you could see how bad educated Parisians are compare to Londoners when waiting the doors/opening :eek:hno:
How they dare to stay in front of it when people trying to get off the voitures :picard:
Incredible how they don't learn from years :bash:
Definitively Paris stays Paris! ::slap:

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
In this video you could see how bad educated Parisians are compare to Londoners when waiting the doors/opening :eek:hno:
How they dare to stay in front of it when people trying to get off the voitures :picard:
How to invent a rule out of 1 person (who is not necessarily Parisian for what it's worth). People are a lot more respectful of rules in the Paris metro than you assume they are without knowing.

Now if you really want to see a system where people don't let others getting off before getting on, go to Beijing.

·
Registered
469 Posts
How to invent a rule out of 1 person (who is not necessarily Parisian for what it's worth). People are a lot more respectful of rules in the Paris metro than you assume they are without knowing.
Every time I use the Paris metro, I draw the same conclusion as Axelferis. Sometimes I use my case as a shield to push through those morons.

I almost never see thos behaviors in other french cities.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Every time I use the Paris metro, I draw the same conclusion as Axelferis. Sometimes I use my case as a shield to push through those morons.

I almost never see thos behaviors in other french cities.
Really? Weird, I've never felt that at all. I don't recall having real issues to get off the train. I do see once in a while people who don't respect the common rules (mostly not keeping the right on the escalator), but those are recalled to them rather fastly.

However, the need from other French people to constantly bash Parisians, now that's something I'm regularly experiencing. And that's really getting boring.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Really? Weird, I've never felt that at all. I don't recall having real issues to get off the train. I do see once in a while people who don't respect the common rules (mostly not keeping the right on the escalator), but those are recalled to them rather fastly.
It's a problem only when the station is a bit crowded, which happens quite often hen you take lines 4 or 13 in min rail stations.
I agree with you for the escalators, most often people "ignore" the rule but keep their right once someone tells them.

However, the need from other French people to constantly bash Parisians, now that's something I'm regularly experiencing. And that's really getting boring.
Not my fault :).

·
Sister Greed U
39,043 Posts
I think you overreact.

Firstly, because you assume those people are Parisians, when you can't say they are, because you don't know that.

Secondly, because it's just two people doing that on a not crowded platform, so it doesn't cause a problem.
I've seen that Montparnasse platform much more crowded, though, so I can't speak for the rush hour, when line 4 gets horrible.

And thirdly, because line 4 having now platform edge doors is not necessarily known to all Parisians, so some may not quite know how to act with this sort of novelty.

I say this, even though I know full well that the "bonjour-SVP-merci-au revoir rule" doesn't apply to Paris as much as it does in the rest of France.

Basilique de Saint-Denis

The station has recently been refurbished.

Basilique de Saint-Denis by Minato ku, sur Flickr
Looks a bit like a church. Is this effect intended?

·
17,119 Posts
Yes it is, in some way.

"Sur les quais, les anciennes colonnes d’aspect marmoréen ont été revisitées et mises en lumière par des pavés à leds. Ces projecteurs viennent reproduire symboliquement et artificiellement les variations de lumière à travers les vitraux de la Basilique."

"On the platforms, the old marmoreal columns have been revisited and highlighted by LED pavers. These projectors symbolically and artificially reproduce the variations of light through the windows of the Basilica."

https://www.ratp.fr/groupe-ratp/newsroom/metro/la-station-de-metro-basilique-de-saint-denis-fait-peau-neuve

Work on Bir-Hakeim bridge.

Travaux, Pont de Bir-Hakeim by Minato ku, sur Flickr

Empty and closed Passy station

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
6361 - 6380 of 6836 Posts