SkyscraperCity banner

6581 - 6600 of 6623 Posts

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
It's interesting that they're extending many old Métro lines, probably first and foremost to connect them to the future line 15. But as we all know, the unparalleled close spacing of stations on the existing stretches of these lines will ensure that a trip from the new terminus stations to the center of Paris is going to take a long time. That is after all why they built the RER in the 1960s rather than just extending the Métro to the suburbs like they did in other cities.

Out of curiosity, have they ever considered closing certain Métro stations for the simple goal of speeding up the lines? I'm aware that this happened to a handful of stations over the past century, but I mean in a more significant manner. I'm guessing there would be protests.

·
Sister Greed U
37,747 Posts
Proposing to close Métro stations in this era is just asking to get fired as the head of IdFM.
Definitely. Paris is such a dense city.

I'd rather look forward to unifying lines 3b and 7b via the Place-des-Fêtes link, by finally opening Haxo station.
That would be a bit more practical than closing any station intra-muros.

·
17,579 Posts
From Metro Report:

·
17,051 Posts
République
After months of closures due to the COVID 19, République station has reopened last week.
They have done a bit of cleaning.
This station used to be some of worst because of numerous water infitrations despite having been renovated in 2010. (The plaza above has been renovated after and but it damaged the waterproofing of the station 😓).

Republique, Paris metro
by Minato ku, sur Flickr

Republique, Paris metro
by Minato ku, sur Flickr

REpublique, Paris metro
by Minato ku, sur Flickr

Republique, Paris metro
by Minato ku, sur Flickr

Republique, Paris metro
by Minato ku, sur Flickr

Republique, Paris metro
by Minato ku, sur Flickr
The cheap way but it hides water infiltrations.

Republique, Paris metro
by Minato ku, sur Flickr

Republique, Paris metro
by Minato ku, sur Flickr

Republique, Paris metro
by Minato ku, sur Flickr

Republique, Paris metro
by Minato ku, sur Flickr

Republique, Paris metro
by Minato ku, sur Flickr

Republique, Paris metro
by Minato ku, sur Flickr

·
17,051 Posts
On stations without curve on line 4, only Porte de Clignancourt, Châtelet and Porte d’Orléans remain without platform doors.

Châtelet is still under renovation work.

Chatelet, ligne 4
by Minato ku, sur Flickr

Among terminal stations, Mairie de Montrouge is done.

Mairie de Montrouge, ligne 4
by Minato ku, sur Flickr

·
17,051 Posts

With the northeastern extension, most of the current stations are seeing the construction of new entrances.

Mairie des Lilas

Mairie des Lilas, metro ligne 11
by Minato ku, sur Flickr

by Minato ku, sur Flickr

by Minato ku, sur Flickr

by Minato ku, sur Flickr

by Minato ku, sur Flickr

Mairie des Lilas has always been planned as a provisory terminal station for a latter extention to Romainville. It opened in 1937, the extension should open by 2023. 😅

Mairie des Lilas, ligne 11
by Minato ku, sur Flickr

Porte des Lilas

Porte des Lilas, metro ligne 11
by Minato ku, sur Flickr

Porte des Lilas, metro ligne 11
by Minato ku, sur Flickr

·
Sister Greed U
37,747 Posts

With the northeastern extension, most of the current stations are seeing the construction of new entrances.
One of the new stations of the line 11 extension will be on a viaduct, won't it?

I think it will be called Coteaux-Beauchamps or something like that.

·
17,051 Posts
One of the new stations of the line 11 extension will be on a viaduct, won't it?

I think it will be called Coteaux-Beauchamps or something like that.
You can see the work of the new viaduct when you're in the A3 freeway. Unfortunately, I didn't have the time to take pictures last time. 😟

___

Porte des Lilas
What I find interesting about this station is the contrast between the corridors whose have been renovated recently and platforms of line 11 in dire state.

The ticket hall is above the ground and it's not at the same place as the turnstiles.

Stairs in both directions, it's quite rare in the Paris metro especially in stations built before WW2.
The explanation is the deepth of line 11, under Romainville plateau.

The distance between the tickethall and turnstiles is quite significant.

Here comes the constrast

A closer look of the southbound platforms. An MP59, the oldest stock of Paris metro.

6581 - 6600 of 6623 Posts