Skyscraper City Forum banner
7081 - 7100 of 7170 Posts

·
8,070 Posts
Yes I agree, especially for the passenger buildings. I find a lot of them big and complex for nothing. And in my opinion they are not only complex to build but they will also be complex to maintain and to clean.
Grand Paris Express was thought to restructure the urban area. Most stations are built in districts which are meant to get rebuilt. It was a requirement to make an actual building for each station so that it would become some form of landmark to better identify the new neighbourhoods to be built and increase the sense of centrality around them. It's ambitious I agree, but in Parisian suburbs which have mostly been built without any proper thinking, I find the idea interesting nonetheless.

·
Registered
780 Posts
A glimpse of MP89 refurbished for Line 6:

I take it that will be the trains that they transfer from current service on Line 4 to Line 6? And on that note, does anyone know when they'll start introducing driverless trains on Line 4? According to earlier plans it should have started on a rolling basis through 2021, but I don't think it has actually started yet.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I take it that will be the trains that they transfer from current service on Line 4 to Line 6? And on that note, does anyone know when they'll start introducing driverless trains on Line 4? According to earlier plans it should have started on a rolling basis through 2021, but I don't think it has actually started yet.
Driverless trains will be introduced on Ligne 4 from mid 2022 : Bientôt l'extension de la ligne 4 mais il faudra attendre pour l’automatisation - Ville, Rail et Transports
And then the current Ligne 4 trains will be progressively transferred to Ligne 6.

·
Registered
449 Posts

Noisy-Champs (interchange with RER A)
Started in 2017, work on the Noisy-Champs station, which serves as the terminus for lignes 15 South and 16, is making great strides! Since this summer, the teams have completed the invert for ligne 16, built half of the slab for ligne 15 and started work on the bridge to the east of the station with the foundations. The teams still have a few challenges ahead of them before completing the civil engineering in spring 2022.
As the station is served by the RER A, whose tracks are located above the two future metro lines, the work is being carried out without interrupting traffic.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Again why so huge structures for "just a metro station" ? Why also having stations completely different from one to another one ?
I cannot understand why "inventing the hot water" with a spending which is out of proportions compared to the real need.
I'm afraid this trend is not only in France but almost everywhere.
The direct consequence of this is a greater complexity of works together with a cost which is exploding hence generating difficulties in financing but also in execution hence gving severe delays in the delivery of the networks / lines, etc....

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Again why so huge structures for "just a metro station" ? Why also having stations completely different from one to another one ?
They are building them to be big enough for the next 50+ years of demand growth. Digging a big hole and building a station in it is much cheaper and easier than mining it, especially somewhere away from the city centre... and every location is different so how could they not be different? Having different architectural finishes and designs will make hardly any difference to the cost, that sort of detail is less than 10% of the cost, probably less than 5%

7081 - 7100 of 7170 Posts