SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
selling my body since 88'
2,241 Posts
Yeah great pic. Although i'll add that it deceptively looks large. In person its really no bigger than North Sydney. Much taller on average though. Grande arche de la défense is ok but napoleon's is much much nicer (in the middle of the pic) and the champs de lyse is easily the world's best street.
The quality of the pic is amazing i might add.

·
Australian EU in London!
906 Posts
Mr Centrepoint said:
Beautiful Pic! I always thought there were only very little buildings in paris!
The pic is of La Defense, which is Paris' CBD (just west of the Paris we all know and love, ie. Eiffel Tower, Arc De Triomphe, etc.). La Defence has only really been the CBD for the past 30-40 years, yet is still so starkly ultra-modern compared to old Paris. I was last there 9 years ago and was totally blown away by the enormity of it all, especially the Grande Arche. Worth a visit if you're ever in Paris.

·
Registered
217 Posts
OzFrog said:
The pic is of La Defense, which is Paris' CBD (just west of the Paris we all know and love, ie. Eiffel Tower, Arc De Triomphe, etc.). La Defence has only really been the CBD for the past 30-40 years, yet is still so starkly ultra-modern compared to old Paris. I was last there 9 years ago and was totally blown away by the enormity of it all, especially the Grande Arche. Worth a visit if you're ever in Paris.
Its not quite correct to call La Defense Paris' CBD. While it certainly has the majority of Paris' office space, it lacks other elements of a CBD like major public institutions like courts and government buildings, hotels and major retail and its not a destination for anyone unless they work there. To a large extent its really just a giant office park, many European cities have similar satellite commercial areas due to development restrictions in their historic centres.

·
Яandwicked
691 Posts
cremorne gardens said:
Its not quite correct to call La Defense Paris' CBD. While it certainly has the majority of Paris' office space, it lacks other elements of a CBD like major public institutions like courts and government buildings, hotels and major retail and its not a destination for anyone unless they work there. To a large extent its really just a giant office park, many European cities have similar satellite commercial areas due to development restrictions in their historic centres.
It also has Les Quatre Temps, one of the biggest shopping centres in Paris though, and a lot of France's national government agencies are housed there. There's much more to it than, say, London's Docklands, which really are just a high rise office park.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Great shot! I'm glad they put these towers out of town,you end up with the best of both worlds- big buildings and a human scale in the historic centre :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts