SkyscraperCity banner

3061 - 3080 of 3113 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Unfortunately, whilst this approach does retain more of the original fabric of the building (of which I approve), I am of the opinion (based on those images, and again, project not completed), it looks rather cheap, with dirty concrete remaining, and just looks rather lacklustre. I will reserve final judgement until completion, however, based on these pics it looks disappointing, and will stick out when contrasted with the bolder phase 1.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Unfortunately, whilst this approach does retain more of the original fabric of the building (of which I approve), I am of the opinion (based on those images, and again, project not completed), it looks rather cheap, with dirty concrete remaining, and just looks rather lacklustre. I will reserve final judgement until completion, however, based on these pics it looks disappointing, and will stick out when contrasted with the bolder phase 1.
Totally agree with you. Looks like they've just been painted :lol:

Phase one did away with the balconies to create more space, my nan lived on parkhill for years and only ever used the balcony for drying her washing. They had inbuilt metal pegs to wrap your washing line around, they were built and designed from a 1950's perspective, so drying your clothes was the most logical thing to use them for (not for sipping cocktails on a summer evening) :lol:

You'd need some pretty high stools to see over the concrete railings :lol: Having never lived in a flat with a balcony are they used for much else?

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Totally agree with you. Looks like they've just been painted :lol:

Phase one did away with the balconies to create more space, my nan lived on parkhill for years and only ever used the balcony for drying her washing. They had inbuilt metal pegs to wrap your washing line around, they were built and designed from a 1950's perspective, so drying your clothes was the most logical thing to use them for (not for sipping cocktails on a summer evening) :lol:

You'd need some pretty high stools to see over the concrete railings :lol: Having never lived in a flat with a balcony are they used for much else?
Totally depends on the balcony size!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Those photos look poor compared to the first block that was redeveloped - hopefully not the finished article in those photos

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Look at the concrete on the lowest balcony. It looks very shabby. There even seems to be what looks like painted-out graffiti.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I thought English Heritage (or whatever they are now called) who had to approve the whole Park Hill scheme because it Grade II-STAR, insisted that the concrete frame repairs deliberately look 'patchy' to "tell the story of the building's history"?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I thought English Heritage (or whatever they are now called) who had to approve the whole Park Hill scheme because it Grade II-STAR, insisted that the concrete frame repairs deliberately look 'patchy' to "tell the story of the building's history"?
Historic England (the correct name ) did not insist upon the frame looking patchy. Just look at phase 1. They did insist the repairs followed the same casting contours as the original construction.

Based upon the images seen so far, this lighter touch to the refurbishment looks crap. Dirty, weathered concrete is not a heritage feature. It is exactly what it says on the tin - dirty, weathered concrete. The exterior has had a lick of paint, and some new windows.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I wonder if this might be temporary. There are tours and a launch party next week.

They are launching a poem, ‘We Were Never Derelict’ by Otis Mensah and you'll want to sit down for this...

a font.

:nuts:

·
Registered
624 Posts
Sheffield Park Hill: £500,000 awarded for repair work

The money, awarded by Historic England, will go towards the second phase of the redevelopment of Park Hill in Sheffield.

The funding is for structural repairs to parts of the concrete frame, some of which is crumbling, it said.

A further 195 homes will be created as part of phase two, developers said.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-51092385

·
Registered
122 Posts
I wonder if there would ever be the possibility of developing the strip of land that runs between Park Hill flats and the Midland Station.

I realise that this land is currently a park of sorts, and at some point some of it may be required for a redirected inner ring road, but perhaps it would still be possible to redevelop some buildings in that area?

I know a lot has been done to improve Park Hill, but you can't polish a turd , and they still look pretty unattractive, overpowering and not a great backdrop to the city centre.

Maybe a few high quality 10-15 storey buildings in this area would break up and improve the views and stop Park Hill flats being the dominant thing you see when arriving in Sheffield?

3061 - 3080 of 3113 Posts