SkyscraperCity banner

3081 - 3100 of 3113 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wonder if there would ever be the possibility of developing the strip of land that runs between Park Hill flats and the Midland Station.

I realise that this land is currently a park of sorts, and at some point some of it may be required for a redirected inner ring road, but perhaps it would still be possible to redevelop some buildings in that area?

I know a lot has been done to improve Park Hill, but you can't polish a turd , and they still look pretty unattractive, overpowering and not a great backdrop to the city centre.

Maybe a few high quality 10-15 storey buildings in this area would break up and improve the views and stop Park Hill flats being the dominant thing you see when arriving in Sheffield?
I cannot think of any City in England with a better backdrop to its centre than the one presented by the Parkhill Fats .It was even more dramatic when Hyde Park in its entirety was still in place .

·
Registered
697 Posts
Completely agree, they're amazing and even better with a new lease of life, they're going to be very popular with young people and fans of exposed concrete like me haha - a part of Sheffield's urban fabric that should be celebrated

·
Registered
424 Posts
There are less flats total in the second phase than the first, 260 in first phase 199 in the second phase. They split the first phase up but the second phase is being done all together. The majority of flats in the second phase are being sold at full price but the first phase has social tenants and affordable homes. Urban Splash still earnestly believe that they can get commercial tenants and have plans for a restaurant and still think the Scottish Queen can become a pub.

The scaffolding is coming down on phase 3 and it looks like they will hit their September target for people to move in as they have started selling. There is space for a shop in the third phase.

·
Registered
624 Posts
The scaffolding is coming down on phase 3 and it looks like they will hit their September target for people to move in as they have started selling. There is space for a shop in the third phase.
If i've got the phases the right way around,
I keep seeing increasing adverts for "Beton House", the student block which is advertised for September.

https://betonhouse.co.uk/

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Looks like a superficial clean to the brickwork, painted sections and added those awful new windows. Although it has preserved the fabric of the building, it looks cheap and has clearly been done to engineer a quicker turn around and market sale.

Question has to be asked, if this is all it took to turn the fabric of the building around, new windows, lick of paint, why they couldn't have been retained as a social housing.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
This is true - but Mikhail Riches are taking the same approach to phase 2. So it will be similar in style to this student phase.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is true - but Mikhail Riches are taking the same approach to phase 2. So it will be similar in style to this student phase.
Similar in terms of retaining the brick, but they will have different windows more alike to Phase 1 (Planning app link below). They won’t have the red and beige panels - I presume these are to create smaller panes of glass as there is a greater chance of breakage so cheaper and easier to replace.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Similar in terms of retaining the brick, but they will have different windows more alike to Phase 1 (Planning app link below). They won’t have the red and beige panels - I presume these are to create smaller panes of glass as there is a greater chance of breakage so cheaper and easier to replace.

Not only are the Phase 3 windows are easier to replace they will have been quicker to fit. Alumno/Kier are clearly on a mission to be ready for September and they are taking no prisoners on this front the site has been active throughout the lockdown, hell the Instagram account has continued posting progress photos while the Urban Splash phase 2 site outright shutdown and is still clearly less active than usual. I'm not sure this focus on speed will pay off for Alumno, the student market is going to be clearly repressed next year with many of the Chinese students missing next year having been unable to complete their English intro courses.

3081 - 3100 of 3113 Posts