SkyscraperCity banner

3101 - 3113 of 3113 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Does anybody have any recent photos of the developments? I worked as a structural engineer on Phase 1 to construction and Phase 2 and 3 to tender. Interested to see how they're turning out. The photo on the previous page isn't particularly inspiring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don’t think the brickwork on the phase 3 student accommodation will get further treatment. If you look at pg6 of the brick repair methodology survey report, it indicates that a ‘sooty appearance’ will be retained.

The phase 2 residential planning application documents indicate a more thorough cleaning. The brickwork viewed from South Street looks a lot better.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I don’t think the brickwork on the phase 3 student accommodation will get further treatment. If you look at pg6 of the brick repair methodology survey report, it indicates that a ‘sooty appearance’ will be retained.

The phase 2 residential planning application documents indicate a more thorough cleaning. The brickwork viewed from South Street looks a lot better.

Because it is desired or because it won’t come off (apologies I haven’t read the document)? Needs to be cleaned - students are likely to vote with their feet if the option is to move into a dirty looking building! There is so much good quality alternative provision!

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Doubt students or anybody else for that matter will be bothered whether there is dirt on the brickwork outside. The monthly rent costs will be the deciding factor, and the state of the building on the inside, to a lesser extent.
I would imagine that you will get a lot more floorspace for your bucks here than any of the new builds. There is plenty of open green space here, and a couple of minutes walk to the train station and the trams. Some dirt on the brickwork is not going to be a deal breaker here.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
I actually think it will be.

It gives a shoddy appearance and impression of how their accommodation will be maintained, I can remember being reliant on landlords to be as good as possible - when viewing i'd look for the quick signs, this is a very visual sign of cutting corners. If students cared for sq.m the trend would not have been for studios and one-beds over the past few years. If I was a student and wanted greenspace I would live in a house along Eccy Road or Broomhill/Crookes. To make Park Hill appealing as a student the accommodation really needs to be top-notch, otherwise what is the point of locating to a new student area where it would require me to get a tram to see my mates?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Here are some up to date photos from today.

Scaffolding on the link bridge between phase 1 and phase 2. Renovation is expected to take 20 weeks.
View attachment 244954

Phase 2 from South Street
View attachment 244955

Interior walls being built in Phase 2 ground floor commercial units
View attachment 244963

Phase 3 Beton House student accommodation
View attachment 244969

View attachment 244973
Thank you. Turning out as I expected. The student resi block looks dreadful. There was no intention of cleaning the brickwork from what I recall. I probably wouldn't live there given the state of the outside despite it being refurbed. Phase 2 had some test samples carried out on the brickwork so the brickwork on Phase 2 should look better. Still don't rate Phase 2 compared to Phase 1 as it was always meant to be a light touch refurb.
The bridges between P1 and P2 need to be lifted from their supports so that they can carry out the concrete repairs to the bearing beams. Quite a tricky piece of work. They did it a few years ago to the low level bridge on the P1 side. They lifted the bridge with a pneumatic jack and it eventually popped upwards!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the insight into bridge works - i had wondered why so long was to spent on them. Not sure that the light touch approach to phase 2 is a bad thing - retaining the brick infill and the full width of the streets in the sky is a positive thing?

3101 - 3113 of 3113 Posts