Skyscraper City Forum banner
1961 - 1980 of 3221 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
On some days you can hear the station announcements from my flat near the Wicker which is very strange.

When I first heard it I wondered if it was something like a tannoy at the Castle Market, but when I listened carefully it was clearly the station announcements telling you what train was about to depart. It isn't loud but just shows how if the wind is in the right direction and the building is oriented right then you can hear these things from quite some distance away never mind just next door.

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
I mean its accessibility, transport links and the backdrop of the city, Andrew
right, just not actually public speaking or performance art ;)

Only joking, like arepeejee says, its not half as bad as you may think (I used to go up there a lot when I lived up that way) and maybe the council have a secret plan. :shifty:

·
Non!
2,166 Posts
I'm no fan of amphitheatres (I seem to remember complaining about one in the courtyard of some proposed flats and workshops near Decathlon), but even if the site never exactly becomes 'Minack North' there's still hope for it. The terracing allows it to become a useful space for picnics/drinking/smoking/reading/snogging/sunbathing/revising or whatever the local population puts their mind to in a way that the previous grass bank never could be.

On a personal note - I slogged up and down that grass bank to catch the train to visit the future Mrs Soupcon in Nottingham more times than I care to remember, so those steps look like a very welcome addition. (They also show that whoever has designed the site has a good grasp of classical landscape design theory too.)

·
<Witty comment here>
3,961 Posts
I think its nearly done, you can see a showflat with some interiors about 3/4 way up from the non town side on the right side from town (left side from the other).

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Partly completed... the lower part is accessible today. The workmen took the barriers down. From close up, the steps are high quality. The upper section is still roped off, and the steps are not completed yet.

·
Like a glove
739 Posts
I love how green it looks but I'm not convinced by the rust colour on the steps. It reminds me of steps that have been reclaimed from an old warehouse or something, but it's each to their own.

·
Registered
10,980 Posts
From the Yorkshire Post today.

Graffiti to be rescued in city flats restoration

Published on Thursday 16 June 2011 06:00

AN UNLIKELY feature of Sheffield’s Grade II Listed Park Hill flats has been preserved as part of the redevelopment of the high-rise complex.

A scrawled graffiti message making the statement “I love you will u marry me” has been a feature of a concrete bridge linking two sections of the structure for many years.

Now developer Urban Splash has decided the message, daubed by an unknown author, is too valuable to lose and it has been highlighted further with a neon sign which spells out the words.

It is 50 years today since Park Hill flats were officially opened as council flats. For several years now Urban Splash has been involved in redevelopment work which will see the complex transformed for modern needs.

Exterior work and landscaping are now nearing completion, with apartments expected to go on sale from September, when the first four to be modernised will go on show to the public.

Urban Splash chairman Tom Bloxham said graffiti was now recognised as part of the heritage and romance of the flats.

He said: “As Park Hill turns 50, a new chapter is beginning and it is fitting to mark this point with the unveiling of the next modern twist at Park Hill – the neon I Love You Will U Marry Me sign.

“The declaration ‘I love you will you marry me’ is not only an iconic piece of graffiti but is also our invitation to the city. We want people to love Park Hill once again and it is exciting to see the development taking shape,” he said.

A series of events over several months is being planned to celebrate the building’s half-century anniversary, which will include exhibitions, music and arts events.

In addition, designers and artists have also been commissioned to create homeware and artworks to commemorate the anniversary.

Coun Harry Harpham, Sheffield Council’s regeneration spokesman, said: “Park Hill is a flagship development in Sheffield, both because it’s so visible from many parts of the city and it has such a rich and fascinating history.”

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
One thing about the new park / ampitheatre - it will weaken EMT's arguement than only those with a train ticket should be allowed to use the station bridge.

They seem to have admitted defeat in this argument, it seems.

1961 - 1980 of 3221 Posts