Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What would you define the boundaries of Park West as? I'd say I-395 to the north, I-95 to the west, NE/NW 6th Street to the south, and Biscayne Boulevard or NE 2nd Ave. to the east. Of all the urban areas in downtown Miami (Brickell, CBD, Midtown, etc), Park West is by far the worst and it's in dire need of revitalization. Elisokool16 touched upon this in another recent thread but I want to know what is being done to fix up Park West. Nightclubs that attract MORE crime are not what it needs. It needs shops, restaurants, and other nightlife that is in a safe environment. Crime and the homeless population need to be reduced and more skyscrapers, (or even mid- or low-rises to occupy the many vacant lots in the area) need to be built. I think Park West is a huge contrast from Brickell and the rest of the CBD, which is all mostly very nice, has improved tremendously lately, and is a good representation of Miami. Park West has too much grime and crime and many abandoned buildings. It's a shame that an area so close to downtown could be one of the worst neighborhoods South Florida has to offer. Aside from the great improvements east of NE 2nd Avenue near the Biscayne corridor (Museum Park, Marina blue, 900 Biscayne, Marquis, etc.), Park West has missed out on the boom and all of the gentrification that has influenced the rest of Miami in a positive way.

So, are there any plans for retail, offices, restaurants, condos, etc. in interior Park West? This area needs to get moving quick because it's an embarrassment for Miami. They need to try and imitate areas like Lincoln Road and downtown Coral Gables in creating a safe, pedestrian-friendly atmosphere that doesn't close down before dark. That area is one of the most dangerous in Miami, especially after dark, and the nightclubs don't help things. They just attract MORE crime, so the way for this area to improve is with other forms of nightlife and even daytime activity as opposed to crime-attracting (as some of you describe it raw and gritty) nightlife that doesn't even exist at the time of night when normal people are out (between 10 PM and 2 AM....I mean only a certain number of people are into going out really late).

This area has tremendous potential with FOUR transit stations (Overtown/Arena, Freedom Tower, Eleventh Street, Park West), its proximity to downtown, its proximity to the bay, and its proximity to I-95 and US-1. Park West needs to learn a lesson from Brickell and go through a gentrification period so it can at one point in the future be an accurate representation of Miami and South Florida.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rx727sfi2002; said:
CORUNA,

WHY ARE YOU ALWAYS BRINGING UP THESE TROLL TOPICS? YOU ARE PROBABLY THE TROLL I BET.

ARE YOU BARNEY?
^^ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

YOU are Barney, of course, with your new username now imitating "Rx727sfl2002". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is the funniest thing I've seen in a long time, this troll coming back over and over. All I have to say is why does this troll dislike me? Under the names Mahonie and Rx727sfi2002 he has picked on me personally.

Toucano please ban this user and somehow block this clown all together from SSC....or else I will have to leave the forum, because it's a waste of time with this idiot troll by the name of "Barney Muldoon", whom this poster above clearly is.

·
Banned
579 Posts
^^ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

YOU are Barney, of course, with your new username now imitating "Rx727sfl2002". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is the funniest thing I've seen in a long time, this troll coming back over and over. All I have to say is why does this troll dislike me? Under the names Mahonie and Rx727sfi2002 he has picked on me personally.

Toucano please ban this user and somehow block this clown all together from SSC....or else I will have to leave the forum, because it's a waste of time with this idiot troll by the name of "Barney Muldoon", whom this poster above clearly is.
haha, barney again this guy is funny he keeps messing up this forum

·
Registered
809 Posts
What would you define the boundaries of Park West as? I'd say I-395 to the north, I-95 to the west, NE/NW 6th Street to the south, and Biscayne Boulevard or NE 2nd Ave. to the east. Of all the urban areas in downtown Miami (Brickell, CBD, Midtown, etc), Park West is by far the worst and it's in dire need of revitalization. Elisokool16 touched upon this in another recent thread but I want to know what is being done to fix up Park West. Nightclubs that attract MORE crime are not what it needs. It needs shops, restaurants, and other nightlife that is in a safe environment. Crime and the homeless population need to be reduced and more skyscrapers, (or even mid- or low-rises to occupy the many vacant lots in the area) need to be built. I think Park West is a huge contrast from Brickell and the rest of the CBD, which is all mostly very nice, has improved tremendously lately, and is a good representation of Miami. Park West has too much grime and crime and many abandoned buildings. It's a shame that an area so close to downtown could be one of the worst neighborhoods South Florida has to offer. Aside from the great improvements east of NE 2nd Avenue near the Biscayne corridor (Museum Park, Marina blue, 900 Biscayne, Marquis, etc.), Park West has missed out on the boom and all of the gentrification that has influenced the rest of Miami in a positive way.

So, are there any plans for retail, offices, restaurants, condos, etc. in interior Park West? This area needs to get moving quick because it's an embarrassment for Miami. They need to try and imitate areas like Lincoln Road and downtown Coral Gables in creating a safe, pedestrian-friendly atmosphere that doesn't close down before dark. That area is one of the most dangerous in Miami, especially after dark, and the nightclubs don't help things. They just attract MORE crime, so the way for this area to improve is with other forms of nightlife and even daytime activity as opposed to crime-attracting (as some of you describe it raw and gritty) nightlife that doesn't even exist at the time of night when normal people are out (between 10 PM and 2 AM....I mean only a certain number of people are into going out really late).

This area has tremendous potential with FOUR transit stations (Overtown/Arena, Freedom Tower, Eleventh Street, Park West), its proximity to downtown, its proximity to the bay, and its proximity to I-95 and US-1. Park West needs to learn a lesson from Brickell and go through a gentrification period so it can at one point in the future be an accurate representation of Miami and South Florida.
Coruna couldn't agree with you more. Park west is such a hole. They need to put in some major work there.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
They should do a charette. That's what a lot of communities north of Miami did when they wanted to see revitalization in improperly planned places. Google Treasure Coast Regional Planning--Park West is right up their alley for urban redevelopment.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could we please get back on topic here....I'd really like some opinions on Park West....just ignore this clown "Barney Muldoon" and move on, otherwise his mission of destroying the forum is actually successful, but if you just ignore him then you will be defeating him right there. He wants attention and all you guys are doing is giving it to him :eek:hno: .

·
Registered
809 Posts
Could we please get back on topic here....I'd really like some opinions on Park West....just ignore this clown "Barney Muldoon" and move on, otherwise his mission of destroying the forum is actually successful, but if you just ignore him then you will be defeating him right there. He wants attention and all you guys are doing is giving it to him :eek:hno: .
YES YES YES... let's get focused here.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
I think that whole area which includes Park West and Overtown needs lot of help because it is way to close to the CBD, this whole area has potentialit just needs ALOT of work.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
Park West is by far the worst and it's in dire need of revitalization.
You asked for some opinion and here it is....
Park West isn't the worst. I'd rather live there than Kendall.
Elisokool16 touched upon this in another recent thread but I want to know what is being done to fix up Park West.
If you are truly curious, get off of your ass and visit the Downtown Development Authority office. The area of Park West is already defined. It was defined years ago. How about a Herzog & de Meuron Museum and 4 or 5 four hundred foot plus skyscrapers?
I think Park West is a huge contrast from Brickell and the rest of the CBD
Yep...you don't say?
It's a shame that an area so close to downtown could be one of the worst neighborhoods South Florida has to offer. In your opening thought you said "by far the worst" and now you say "could be one of the worst South Florida has to offer" .
Evidently, Goulds is now a well developed neighborhood. I haven't been there in a while, but I have been to Park West multiple times in the last 6 months.
Aside from the great improvements east of NE 2nd Avenue near the Biscayne corridor (Museum Park, Marina blue, 900 Biscayne, Marquis, etc.), Park West has missed out on the boom and all of the gentrification that has influenced the rest of Miami in a positive way.
Wow....did you mean to say, "except for the some of the tallest buildings in the South Eastern United States, the most heralded architects in the world building a museum, and some of the largest waterfront park space of any Urban environment, Park West has missed out on a boom?"

Pretty amazing post there Coruna....

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Roark you really need to read what I posted and stop making things up. You even quoted when I said "EXCEPT the area right along Biscayne east of NE 2nd Avenue". The four skyscrapers (Marquis, Marinablue, 900 Biscayne, Ten museum park) and Museum Park (which includes the waterfront land and the great architects) are all EAST of NE 2nd Avenue. I think that area is fine, it's doing pretty good and the boom is affecting it in a positive way.

What I'm talking about is INTERIOR Park West, west of NE 2nd Ave. and east of I-95, north of NE/NW 5th street and south of I-395. Thanks for telling me to go to the DDA website....their website answered my question about the boundaries of Park West. Anyways, that area of interior Park West is terrible, it's one of the worst neighborhoods in Florida, up there with Liberty City, Northside, Overtown, Opa-locka, Little Haiti, and Allapattah.

"You'd rather live there than Kendall"

I agree with you that Kendall is not a place I'd want to live, too far removed from the city center, too much sprawl, nothing that interesting, nothing too nice, but at least it's safe. Park West is on the list of places I wouldn't want to live in because it's very dangerous and is a slum. At least Kendall isn't a slum, so I'd rather live there than Park West.

Even though it's a slum today I think with some much needed help in the future, it could be transformed into a nice area close to downtown that would be safe and desirable.

....and where did Goulds come from? That one was pretty random...but I know what you mean, you think I meant that all the suburbs were better developed than Park West. I'm not talking about the typical slums like Goulds, Opa Locka, Miami Gardens, southwest Grove, or Sweetwater. I'm saying that the vast majority of suburbs (Miami Beach, Coral Gables, Aventura, Miami Springs, Key Biscayne, Pinecrest, Hialeah, Sunny Isles Beach, West Miami, Kendall, Coconut Grove, Miami Shores, Palmetto Bay, and many more in Broward & Palm Beach counties) are more developed and much nicer than Park West. It seems like over half of Park West is vacant land or abandoned warehouses.

and you don't think that Park West is a big contrast from Brickell and the rest of the CBD??? You think that a neighborhood of vacant lots, abandoned buildings, crime, and homeless people blends in perfectly with a financial district and business district with skyscrapers that is one of the largest downtowns in the United States? Really? You think that Park West with all of its problems blends in with such a great area like Brickell and downtown?
I don't, but it's just my opinion. I hadn't been to Park West in a while but have been there twice recently and I've been underwhelmed by it compared with the rest of Miami.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts