Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of us Urban people know that parking lots are horrible for cities. Parking structures are just as bad in my mind as well. Does the City offer any kind of incentive to build on these properties? This new garage at clark and lake looks like a real building. Can the city just stop all these new parking structues from being built. The just draw more cars and pollution into the loop, and we all know you can hardly breath down there as it is. Post you feelings on this issue, is it possible to get a group together and send some letters to the mayor to see if we can make an impact. If you have any pic's of the areas that contain the most parking post them as well. Lets see chicagos worst!

·
Registered
819 Posts
I don't understand the aversion to parking garages. The fewer garages, the more it costs to park downtown, and the price is already horrendous. Parking garages are so infinitely better than surface lots, and that's the alternative. There are still plenty of large surface lots ringing the Loop, although there certainly used to be more before all of the recent development.

I'm all about mass transit, and I would like nothing more than for all the pipe dreams to come true -- the circle line, the mid-city line, and some sort of line in streeterville, etc. etc. but you still can't just say "no" to cars. They are still a vital part of the equation, even if we want mass transit to trump them in more cases. If there is demand for parking garages, then they should be built, albeit with good materials and reasonable design, like the one next to 161 N. Clark. Its all about making the Loop more accessible, not less, in every possible way.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Stop parking lots/stuctures from being built? That's not going to happen, ever. Ever since the invention of the wheel man has always looked for a way to manuever as far as possible as easily as they could. So as long as theres some sort of private transit vehicle, better the parking area is dressed up as a building then just a plain ole' lot.

·
Cynical post-collegiate
937 Posts
I don't understand the aversion to parking garages. The fewer garages, the more it costs to park downtown, and the price is already horrendous. Parking garages are so infinitely better than surface lots, and that's the alternative. There are still plenty of large surface lots ringing the Loop, although there certainly used to be more before all of the recent development.
The problem is mind-set. I forgot who said it, but "The automobile is an excellent servent, but a terrible master." I love public transit and will use it extensively in my hopefully future home in Chicago, but I will definitely own one car. Why? Because a car still means mobility. If I want to take a road trip, I can use the car. If there's an emergency or my kid is sick, I can use the car. For all other purposes, public transit > car, the car is just a nice back-up.

If you let surface lots and parking garages run rampant throughout the city, then the car goes from being a servant to a master. Then we have the urban fabric being destroyed and dissected. Parking garages better than lots? I would argue that lots are better. Most parking garages are just concrete slabs with little surfac interaction. Atleast with lots there's occasionally tree planting, maybe a nice fence, and open air. But they're both evils. Which needed to be regulated.

·
Registered
721 Posts
People who love parking garages in downtown Chicago will not ever explain to me how our roads will be changed to handle the increase traffic? If you live and or work in downtown Chicago you will notice..it is near capacity for most of the day. So let's double the parking garages...double the traffic in the loop. Please explain to me where we will be putting all of these new cars....how will our roads to the new parking garages handle all of the new traffic the car lovers think we need? Will we take out sidewalks or make them narrower so we can fit more lanes on each street?

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
simulcra said:
If you let surface lots and parking garages run rampant throughout the city, then the car goes from being a servant to a master. Then we have the urban fabric being destroyed and dissected.
amen! and when the above scenario comes to fruition, you end up with a detroit. i really, really don't want chicago to follow detroit's lead. our city should be following the lead of the world's greatest cities like london and new york where driving/parking is strongly discouraged by the nature of the built environment/transit coverage.

good cities are built around people. bad cities are built around cars. chicago, at this moment in time, is on the bubble, there's some good, but there's also a crapload of bad.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Since the 1980's, New York has banned all new parking in Manhattan. Some new Manhattan buildings contain limited underground parking, but only after they receive a special variance from the city. The city usually requires the new spaces to be for residents only, rather than open to the public.

Chicago could do the same from North Ave to Congress Parkway, the lake to the West Loop.

·
The City
5,935 Posts
crawford said:
Since the 1980's, New York has banned all new parking in Manhattan. Some new Manhattan buildings contain limited underground parking, but only after they receive a special variance from the city. The city usually requires the new spaces to be for residents only, rather than open to the public.

Chicago could do the same from North Ave to Congress Parkway, the lake to the West Loop.
Yeah, that's true. Daley, all in all, has greatly improved Chicago. He is well travelled and has a great vision for the city. But when it comes to transit, it seems like he just doesn't get it. The new zoning ordinance was a step in the right direction, but he certainly didn't do enough with it. Even Madalaine Haithcock (one of the Aldermen) criticised him, asking him how he expects Chicago to be a world-class city if he doesn't throw his back behind transit. I mean, look how quiet he is being about this whole CTA funding crisis.

·
Cynical post-collegiate
937 Posts
I would have really liked something assertive and legally binding in the new zoning ordinance. Daley's whole reaction to the CTA imbroglio and his stance on transit seems to be kinda too moderate for my tastes.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Does anybody know how the new condos and the ones being converted from older office buildings in the Loop compare on the parking issue compared to other parts of downtown (i.e. Streeterville, Rive North, South Loop, etc.)???

I just can't imagine using a car frequently if I lived in building like the Heritage at Mil Pk.

• are Loop condos getting fewer parking spaces than other downtown locations?

• are people moving into the Loop able to accept less depedence on their cars than thos ein other parts of the downtown area?

The georgraphy of Chicago differs from NYC's. People on Manhattan can view the island as a world apart and its interconnectiveness works well without a dependence on cars.

In Chicago, thousands and thousands embrace the city life-style and wouldn't live in suburbia if you paid them. Yet, for many, the outer core of Chicago and the suburbs are part of their sphere in a way that the outer boroughs, LI, Westchester, & NJ arene't for many Manhattanites. Thus, there is still that desire to hang on the car and depend on it in areas like Lincoln Park, Lake View, Gold Coast, Streeterville that you won't find in Manahttan.

Perhaps that mentality will change in time, but I think we're still far removed from that time.

·
Cynical post-collegiate
937 Posts
are people moving into the Loop able to accept less depedence on their cars than thos ein other parts of the downtown area?
I don't think initially, but eventually they'll realize that there are more convenient ways of getting about to nearby areas.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts