Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mapping of selected North American cities, by alphabetical order. All to the same scale at ~9000 feet above ground elevation. This is part of a package for a presentation to a planning committee in Houston, that I received from a coworker. Highlighted areas include surface parking, single-purpose parkade structures, and all brownfields. I took the liberty of de-highlighting the site of 300 Front and Aura, as people will be sure to pounce on that, haha. I also noticed that while Toronto has more red than Vancouver, almost none of it is multi-storey parking garages, whereas most of Vancouver's and San Francisco's are, meaning that there could actually be more parking capacity in the latter cities. It could be one symptom of the fact that the Van/SF are more reliant on car travel to downtown.

Calgary

Houston

Los Angeles

San Francisco

Seattle

Toronto

Vancouver

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
Interesting but for Toronto at least it's severely outdated. The largest red section on the waterfront is now a pit u/c for Pier 27. The long strip south of St lawrence Market is on about floor 10 now of Market Warf, and the large L shape red mark is a massive pit for both Ice towers and Infinity Towers, U/C. The former parking at Queens Quay has been closed for some time now and is being made into new public space. The Princess Margaret, Sick Kids, St Micheals, and Womens College all have red spots that are now gone as well. One city hall is gone as well. I'm sure there are more but I'd need to zoom in.

·
39,238 Posts
Nice post! That map clearly shows how Vancouver is rapidly running out of lots. Very shorty, they will have to start tearing down some of those 10-30 floor buildings and going significantly higher if they want to add square footage on the peninsular.

If they do go that route, I hope it's those 80s glass towers that get re-developed and not the older building stock which is quite good.

·
Registered
8,960 Posts
vancouver has more parking than show though - there is a large parking structure on burrard for the bentall centre buildings to name one not shown - seems they have included the bay parkade

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
vancouver has more parking than show though - there is a large parking structure on burrard for the bentall centre buildings to name one not shown - seems they have included the bay parkade

Who knows what the purpose of the presentation to the planning committee in Houston was about; that can always influence preparation of data charts. The point is that it clearly shows there is very, very little wiggle room for future developments in downtown Vancouver.

·
Banned
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The guys from Houston were working purely from satellite images - it's merely an intro to the main part of the presentation - so I'm pretty sure most cities shown need "updating", and many parkades in SF are likely concealed like the one for the Waffle building in Vancouver.

Anyhow it clearly shows the isolation of many NA downtowns due to vast expanses of underused land.

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
How do people in those far off parking lots in Houston get to work? They couldn't possibly be walking down so many blocks with nothing but cars on them?

·
Arch(Struct) Engineer
Toasted Ravioli
1,856 Posts
How do people in those far off parking lots in Houston get to work? They couldn't possibly be walking down so many blocks with nothing but cars on them?
I'm assuming most of those far off lots are for the NBA and MLB crowds

·
39,238 Posts
Maybe most of them work at the parking lot. Seems like a big industry in Houston.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Now I know why San Franciso bitches about lack of available parking space in the city. Especially Downtown.

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
People in Thunder Bay bitch about the lack of parking. Hell, I bet people in Houston do too.

Car people act very entitled. They're a spoiled bunch.

·
Less is More
3,044 Posts
I'd love to see a comparison with Chicago, which has some very well done multi story parking, (Marina anyone? :)).

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
The parking in Marina City isn't very "smart". They have to hire trained people to park the cars properly because it is so difficult to manoeuvre in there.

·
Less is More
3,044 Posts
The parking in Marina City isn't very "smart". They have to hire trained people to park the cars properly because it is so difficult to manoeuvre in there.
But its one of the only aboveground parking that doesn't make me puke lol

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
Winnipeg has a couple parking lots designed to look like historic buildings. They could have been done better but they're pretty nice.

·
Banned
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Some of the American forumers submitted some more maps:

Oklahoma City - red for parking, green for brownfields

Miami

Minneapolis

And flar from SSP posted one for Hamilton:

Let's see some Canadian cities!

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
Red - surface parking lot
Blue - parkade
Green - brownfield
Black - site under redevelopment
Purple - building with parkade underneath it (and often with some parking beside it, didn't colour that in)

Downtown Fort William (government district) a city study says there are about 1,500 spots in DTFW

The large black square will become a courthouse by 2013, construction starts next month or so
The smaller black square will become a social services office, construction started this summer

Downtown Port Arthur (office and entertainment districts)

The higher small black spot will be a psychiatric hospital that will begin construction soon, the smaller is an old bakery
that has been picked at by a developer for a while. Both of these developments will have some on-site parking.
The large one on the waterfront is the massive redevelopment there, the green area below will become a marina and
probably a convention centre/arena, so there will be lots of parking in both places.

Parking can be quite tight around destinations, but parking lots that aren't near any destinations are usually empty all the time. A lot of the brownfields are used as parking lots, but aren't supposed to be. During special events (hockey games or concerts in FW or waterfront activities like Canada Day in PA), parking is virtually impossible unless you arrive very early.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts