Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Banned
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mapping of selected North American cities, by alphabetical order. All to the same scale at ~9000 feet above ground elevation. This is part of a package for a presentation to a planning committee in Houston, that I received from a coworker. Highlighted areas include surface parking, single-purpose parkade structures, and all brownfields.

Calgary

Houston

Los Angeles

San Francisco

Seattle

Toronto

Vancouver

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Look at Houston! I thought they had gotten rid of most of those surface parking lots! Dleung thanks for posting these but do you have any other cities?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Those graphics are just sad... Please post more so i can be depressed about the failings of American urban policy in other cities as well:)

·
Journeyman
16,908 Posts
Fantastic job! Very enlightening. Especially once I saw that garages were included.

In Seattle, you got a few buildings that might not qualify. Some that come to mind:
--For example NikeTown and Levis occupy multiple floors of one at 6th & Pike.
--The "Main" Post Office occupies much of the building at 3rd & Union.
--At the four-block red area on the upper right, the garage is a multi-story car dealership and the two blocks on the east are a public utility.
--The garage to the right of Qwest Field is also an exhibition hall (the exhibition floor is used for parking depending on the event).

·
Oh Hey!
7,177 Posts
If you do Tampa, you'll have fun! :(

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
Look at Houston! I thought they had gotten rid of most of those surface parking lots! Dleung thanks for posting these but do you have any other cities?
Many of those lots were cleared in the 1960s and '70s when the city was booming and new office towers were expected to fill them. Then the boom went bust in the early '80s and those lots remain, awaiting a return to the boom times.

Detroit would be a good study. much of that city's downtown has been demolished and surface lots abound. A sorry state indeed. :(

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Very interesting and useful images. Really shows the frontier that we have available to us- it's daunting, but full of potential.

I wanted to show Oklahoma City as well, I started with surface parking lots, trying to get even the smallest ones, and as I was doing that I realized the enormous areas of brownfields/greenfields within the core of the city. It is truly astounding. Even with the amount of infill progress that has happened over the last decade, we are a long way from filling in all these spaces. It would be great to present these images to our cities; the amount of land that could be intensely developed without expanding utilities or services is awesome.

This image is from 9500 ft, includes the core CBD (center), Midtown (along the top), the Medical District (top right), and a mostly abandoned/demolished residential/industrial neighborhood (bottom right).

PARKING ONLY:

(notice the huge gap in the core CBD, it is very densely built up to the point that there is no parcel to build on)

PARKING WITH GREEN/BROWNFIELDS ADDED:

·
Registered
957 Posts
It would be embarrassing to see Louisville, or any southern city for that matter. There are a few cities that have seen to got it right, Vancouver and San Francisco have a very small amount of red.

On a side note, I never knew San Francisco's baseball staduim was packed in so tightly. It looks like they had to add land to fit it in.

·
Mostly Sane
2,330 Posts
Here's Minneapolis.

Most of the surface parking is of course concentrated around the Metrodome. The good news is that the BLUE areas are former surface lots that now have new buildings (or bldgs under construction) on them, but the Google Earth images are outdated and still show parking. The GREEN area is a former lot that is now a park.

·
Banned
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There are a few cities that have seen to got it right, Vancouver and San Francisco have a very small amount of red.
Not coincidentally, those two cities also have the highest inner-city land values out of all the cities, by a wide margin.

Thanks for contributing more maps guys! Hope to see more!

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Mapping of selected North American cities, by alphabetical order. All to the same scale at ~9000 feet above ground elevation. This is part of a package for a presentation to a planning committee in Houston, that I received from a coworker. Highlighted areas include surface parking, single-purpose parkade structures, and all brownfields.

Calgary
Interesting comparison.

Hey dleung, might y have a parking map of Buffalo NY that you could post here?

·
Mostly Sane
2,330 Posts
Minneapolis missed a bunch of garages. Maybe it's not clear that garages are included.
^You're correct. Sorry, those have been added and the image updated. I missed a few smaller private parking lots as well. :)

Good god, imagine the enormous loss of revenue that the city loses by not having business or homes/apartments/condominiums on those lots.
On the other hand, parking ramps do generate money and pay property taxes. They are a necessity for a lot of reasons. I mostly object to them on aesthetic grounds, not their utilitarian purpose. Regarding urban planning, in Minneapolis the giant ramps were purposely sited away from the central core and connected to the center via the Skyway System. That strategy cuts down on the core traffic congestion.

·
18,274 Posts
The thread topic is misleading to me. Why are brownfields considered the same as parking lots are far as parking goes? And are "single-purpose parkades" parking garages that are single level or multiple level?

It seems that these areas aren't necessarily parking lots but simply land that is not used for structures or parks. Brownfields and parking garages seems to be relatively opposite of each other as far as parking goes: one is not used for parking but can be utilized much better than being open land, while the other is efficiently used and fills up a parcel.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
In my map of Miami I included parking lots and single standing garages only. I would try to do other cities but it's more difficult when you don't know the neighborhood.

·
Banned
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Why are brownfields considered the same as parking lots are far as parking goes? And are "single-purpose parkades" parking garages that are single level or multiple level?
The maps show all the lots deemed under-utilized, which case an above-grade structure devoted entirely to parking is just that, regardless of how many parking levels it is. The study specified "single-use", so that parkades with office/condo above them, or with significant other uses at the base - such as retail - will not be included.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts