Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Torontonian 4ever
9,891 Posts
^We've had a thread about this a long time ago, but thanks for bringing it up again. These towers will be rising a block from my house, and frankly they'll stick out like a sore thumb (note that the tallest tower in the area - Marina Del Rey will be 10 storeys shorter). But, I spoke to the dude who does the zoning for the area and he's assured me that the city does not favour this project so there are not many chances of seeing it rise.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Filip said:
^We've had a thread about this a long time ago, but thanks for bringing it up again. These towers will be rising a block from my house, and frankly they'll stick out like a sore thumb (note that the tallest tower in the area - Marina Del Rey will be 10 storeys shorter). But, I spoke to the dude who does the zoning for the area and he's assured me that the city does not favour this project so there are not many chances of seeing it rise.
Actually, the tallest Marina Del Ray tower is 33 storeys, not that far away from these towers. It would suck to see these go down the drain, Etobicoke needs some taller buildings.

·
Torontonian 4ever
9,891 Posts
^They won't rise, thank god. Why would you want them to though? As a resident of Humber Bay shores I'm telling you they'd suck big time. Now one project I'm excited about rising in Mimico is the Fogh Marina Site. At the corner of Legion road and Lakeshore they'll be 23 and 26 storeys each with some kind of sail thingie on the top. Now that's a project for that area, not three huge ass towers.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, I'm just a crazy skyscraper enthusiast who likes any tall building going up in Toronto. So there's no way that these huge ass towers will go up, not even at a smaller scale? These Fogh Marina Site towers sound interesting, do you have a pic?

BTW: Filip, it's time to change your sig, Emporis now lists Toronto to have 1,981 buildings, they seem to have added a few more proposals. Closing in on 2000 soon! :D

·
The Greatest
4,515 Posts
"They won't rise, thank god"

Perhaps a few floors shorter but they will rise

"As a resident of Humber Bay shores I'm telling you they'd suck big time."

I'd say most of the new development in Humber Bay Shores sucks big time

·
Torontonian 4ever
9,891 Posts
valantino said:
"They won't rise, thank god"

Perhaps a few floors shorter but they will rise

"As a resident of Humber Bay shores I'm telling you they'd suck big time."

I'd say most of the new development in Humber Bay Shores sucks big time
When's the last time you've been here.:|
As it remains, this is one of the most wanted pieces of real estate in Toronto.
There is only one condo ruining the area and it's the Waterford towers. The rest all have a great resort design complimenting the park and lake right in front. It's great living here, believe me. Just today I left my townhome walked down to Humber Bay Park West, then East then down to Palace Pier. Not many people in Toronto can do that, and that's why condos will continue to rise here (hopefully not blocking my view of the lake).

·
Torontonian 4ever
9,891 Posts
Travis007 said:
Sorry, I'm just a crazy skyscraper enthusiast who likes any tall building going up in Toronto. So there's no way that these huge ass towers will go up, not even at a smaller scale? These Fogh Marina Site towers sound interesting, do you have a pic?

BTW: Filip, it's time to change your sig, Emporis now lists Toronto to have 1,981 buildings, they seem to have added a few more proposals. Closing in on 2000 soon! :D
I guess I will.:tongue2:
Here's a link for the development plans on the Fogh Marina site:
http://humberbayshores.org/Documents/Foghrpt02.pdf

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Travis007 said:
I think this is the 3 towers that are planned for etobicoke that are 39,36,33 stories. I really hope that they get approved for that height, because the towers look really nice and elegant. Check it out:

http://www.kirkorarchitects.com/ >Projects>Upcoming>The Last box
Did you see the old ritz cartlon renderings, under the commercial links. Thank god this form didn't go through.

·
Torontonian 4ever
9,891 Posts
Here's one of the main reasons why the city is hesitating with this project:

As you can see there are two office towers on the site with about 6 floors. The SNC Lavalin office and Nabisco offices. They will have to be torn down.

·
The Greatest
4,515 Posts
When's the last time you've been here.
As it remains, this is one of the most wanted pieces of real estate in Toronto.
There is only one condo ruining the area and it's the Waterford towers.
Just recently - BTW, I'm not necessarily refering to design of the individual buildings but the way each development interacts with those surrounding it. (The Waterford towers appears to be the only development with a significant retail podium. )

Sorry, but an isolated mess of towers with an abundance of green space and little else except for a few convience stores and a nearby big box plaza is not anything I would label desirable or else I would have stayed longer at Palace Pier instead of moving back to familiar grounds out east

Here's one of the main reasons why the city is hesitating with this project
But whether this project goes ahead or not is no longer up to the city

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I have no controll over this developement, but I wish I did.

As funny as it might sound, I don't want any developements to obscur the view from the Gardiner of downtown. Building highrises on the west bank of Humber Bay could and alread does do this.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Roch5220 said:
Did you see the old ritz cartlon renderings, under the commercial links. Thank god this form didn't go through.
That's actually the original design for Trump when Ritz was the only developer. The city actually turned down the design because it looked so hideous. It's looks the Taj Majal or something but in a tower form. :(

·
Torontonian 4ever
9,891 Posts
valantino said:
Sorry, but an isolated mess of towers with an abundance of green space and little else except for a few convience stores and a nearby big box plaza is not anything I would label desirable or else I would have stayed longer at Palace Pier instead of moving back to familiar grounds out east
Isolated mess of towers? You've got to be kidding right? What about Mimico village? there's your shopping. Abudance of green space?!?!?!!?!? SINCE WHEN ARE PARKS BAD?!?!?!?!? Yes it's nice living in an area surrounded by parks and waterfornt promenades. I'm sorry if Queen st. West does not provide that for you.:| As it happens, the land value of that area is skyrocketing, townhomes in my area have almost doubled in price since they were built about 10 years ago. It's desirable, hell yeah it is, houses here sell like hotcakes. Too bad you didn't enjoy it, I pitty that.:cheers:

For you who'll believe him, here's the REAL Humber Bay Shores/Mimico.

Your typical townhomes:

Yeah, isolated and abundance of green space - yeah since when are peace and parks a bad thing?:|

Next time you'll be going around badmouthing my hood you better have some facts to back up that bullshit of yours.

·
Torontonian 4ever
9,891 Posts
Travis007 said:
Oh you mean the Mistral Phase I&II. They look nice and it does definately seem more appropriate for the area.

As for the taller towers, only time can tell the fate of it... :(
Yeah, them. We all call them here the Fogh Marina towers cause they'll be rising out of the Fogh Marina site duh.:D Those towers will look great here in Mimico. They somehow mimic what we're used to, water. Those taller towers will only rise apparently if a mall or a lot of street level retail is incorporated into the base. Hell, we need more fancy schmancy stores around here eh?

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Filip said:
Yeah, them. We all call them here the Fogh Marina towers cause they'll be rising out of the Fogh Marina site duh.:D Those towers will look great here in Mimico. They somehow mimic what we're used to, water. Those taller towers will only rise apparently if a mall or a lot of street level retail is incorporated into the base. Hell, we need more fancy schmancy stores around here eh?
According to the render, there seems to be a big complex at the base of the towers, most likely a big mall/amenities centre for the towers.

BTW: Bad news, Pemberton is also developing 2 towers (18 &19 floors)for the same area too, called "Park Lake Towers" (An any duller name? :( ). I would expect it to turn out like the Waterford Towers. :runaway:

·
Torontonian 4ever
9,891 Posts
Travis007 said:
According to the render, there seems to be a big complex at the base of the towers, most likely a big mall/amenities centre for the towers.

BTW: Bad news, Pemberton is also developing 2 towers (18 &19 floors)for the same area too, called "Park Lake Towers" (An any duller name? :( ). I would expect it to turn out like the Waterford Towers. :runaway:
Ohhh link me or something. Sounds interesting. But yeah, you're right they'll probably turn out like the Waterford.:runaway:

Funny Park Lake towers, that's exactly what that area encompasses LOL.;)
Most importantly where?!?! We're running out of space here eh unless you start building on top of Mr. Christie's.:D

·
Torontonian 4ever
9,891 Posts
^Nvm I found out where it is. It's not in Humber Bay Shores, since that neighbourhood ends at the Humber River. I don't favour it, it's gonna stick out silly in a sea of houses.

·
The Greatest
4,515 Posts
Isolated mess of towers? You've got to be kidding right? What about Mimico village? there's your shopping. Abudance of green space?!?!?!!?!? SINCE WHEN ARE PARKS BAD?!?!?!?!?
I said the lack of anything besides the greenspace is unappealing to me and Mimico Village is rather long, visually unpleasant walk from where all the construction activity has been in the last few years

As it happens, the land value of that area is skyrocketing, townhomes in my area have almost doubled in price since they were built about 10 years ago.
That's quite commonplace in many parts of the city especially within the old city and along Yonge corridor. Around here, new houses that sold for 450000 in 1995 are now selling for 1.3 million after all the biddings wars have ended

I'm sorry if Queen st. West does not provide that for you
Huh? Are you suggesting that Humber Bay Shores is close to Queen Street West or are you (more likely) assuming I live somewhere along Queen Street W? Dude, When I say east I MEAN east

Around here Pemberton Group is in the process of completing a row of architecturally insignificant mid-rise condominium buildings with street facing retail while in yours they plan on building two architecturally insignificant highrises (15 and 16 floors) on top of a 4 storey parkade

1 - 20 of 30 Posts