Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 668 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
That looks as though it's sited on the green space on the corner of Parliament St and Great George St.
Not aware of any plans for that particular patch.
Can't be part of the the new Chinatown GGSD development as that is the other side of St James St

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Oh wow I like that. Plus looks like it is to be developed by Legacie which a recent article stated that they were soon to announce future developments.

Legacie seem to be doers as well, with their water street refurb well underway and Renshaw street moving along at a pace. They did state they had great pre-sales for both of these. I actually think Water street sold out very early. So it looks like they are ready to sink their teeth in to something a lot bigger in a very up and coming area of the city.

This would link in nicely with the Chinatown development plans.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Yeah that's certainly the patch of grass opposite the St James Station site. It looks like an excellent 17-storeys to me!

Legacy's website describes the proposal as:

Coming soon, a luxury new development featuring a rooftop spa, 495 apartments and a public park plaza with 30,000 square foot of commercial business space.
Hope the commercial space will be targeted at creative and digital industries. It would be nice to see some retail floorspace too.

Legacy have posted on SCC before, maybe they could comment on this one...

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
Worth its own thread I reckon. :)

Funnily enough I was only passing through this junction the other day, and wondered why no-one had ever pitched anything for this site, despite its prominence. I know the Northern Line passes very close to the site boundary on Great George Street, but that's hardly an insurmountable issue. It's unlikely we'll ever see this area as properly developed as we've seen previously in old photos posted to the forum, but at least this is a step in the right direction.

The design looks decent, and hopefully by overlooking a key junction the HRC might let the height through relatively unscathed. When submitting comments of support when the time is right, lots of talk about gateways and a sense of arrival would help.

Alongside St James Court and The Atrium on the next two plots along St James Street, this part of the Baltic Triangle will hopefully look very different in a few years time, with empty/underused tin sheds replaced by buildings much more befitting this city centre location.

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
I'd like to see them complete just one, first. Their Water street development is taking an age; and it is just a re-furb and roof top extension.
The Bridewell shops on Dale Street is one they've completed. It might have taken some time, but the finished product looks great, and is of a good standard. Meanwhile, as albanista notes, Ropemaker Place is progressing nicely, so there are reasons for optimism. :)

·
Human Being
43,378 Posts
Ropemaker Place does seem to be cracking on nicely though
Yes, but it's easy to become very cautious, and even cynical ( which is not my natural first port of call) given the development record in recent times. We've seen lots of these local companies announce big things; with people getting all excited. Obviously I'm always hoping for the best, and generally aim to trust my gut instincts - not wanting to be perpetually naive. There does seem to be a very dodgy and corrupted development scene in the city. We'll see.

·
Human Being
43,378 Posts
The Bridewell shops on Dale Street is one they've completed. It might have taken some time, but the finished product looks great, and is of a good standard. Meanwhile, as albanista notes, Ropemaker Place is progressing nicely, so there are reasons for optimism. :)
Does it though? Cheap wood around the doors and windows. Why go to the trouble of restoration, only to skimp on the most visible and important details.

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
Does it though? Cheap wood around the doors and windows. Why go to the trouble of restoration, only to skimp on the most visible and important details.
I'll admit I haven't taken a close look at individual components used, so I'll take your word for it if you say it's not up to scratch. However taken as a whole within the streetscene, and relative to the block it was designed to replace, and to a large extent replicate, it's not a bad effort I think.

Given the issues with some developers we've experienced in recent years, I understand any wariness over the ability to deliver, and not just serve up a diet of never to be realised renders. However when Legacie are actually on-site doing things, I think we can be a little more optimistic of their ability to deliver on developments.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Went passed there last week and the outside and inside is being dug up. There is also a gap of around an inch under the outside doors too.

1 - 20 of 668 Posts