SkyscraperCity Forum banner
61 - 80 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
6,521 Posts
Central Criminal Court

If Britain becomes a dictatorship then the first thing that should be built is this Cental Criminal Court, it's assured to inspire fear and obient citizens! Perhaps they should build it anyway!

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
1 Millharbour doesn't look that different to the Commerzbank Tower in Frankfurt. The 20FCS proposal is better than what we're getting, the older one would have looked pretty good on the skyline :yes:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I actually quite like this scheme for 1 Poultry, height must be about 60 - 80 metres, anyone know when it was proposed for?
Me too. It's quite a simple design, but the building fits the location very well, a big slab of modernity between two beautiful old buildings. It actually reminds me of a scene from New York!

·
Registered
24,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Me too. It's quite a simple design, but the building fits the location very well, a big slab of modernity between two beautiful old buildings. It actually reminds me of a scene from New York!
Well, yeah, it's the same architect who produced this building, the Seagram Tower in New York, considered to be the pinnacle of modernism.

The London version was for the site of 1 Poultry, and many within the architectural establishment were literally dripping with anticipation that Mies van der Rohe was preparing a tower for London. However, Prince Charles in his architectural crusade in the 1980s waded in, and horrifed that a tower was to appear so near to St Paul's no matter what the legendary status of the architect, made sure the plans were scuppered.

In the end the project became so contentious it was scrapped, and the 1 Poultry designed by Stirling we all know and hate was built instead.

·
Registered
24,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
This would have been okay, were it not for the appalling colour scheme. Yellow and pink? What was Alsop thinking?
The idea was canary yellow tiles (canary yellow/Canary Wharf) plus this abstract sculpture on the roof that pulsating pink light like some kind of ruby jewel or gem over the Isle Of Dogs.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Well, yeah, it's the same architect who produced this building, the Seagram Tower in New York, considered to be the pinnacle of modernism.

The London version was for the site of 1 Poultry, and many within the architectural establishment were literally dripping with anticipation that Mies van der Rohe was preparing a tower for London. However, Prince Charles in his architectural crusade in the 1980s waded in, and horrifed that a tower was to appear so near to St Paul's no matter what the legendary status of the architect, made sure the plans were scuppered.

In the end the project became so contentious it was scrapped, and the 1 Poultry designed by Stirling we all know and hate was built instead.

Why doesn't it surprise me that it was Prince Charles who was to blame for this fiasco? London lacks a world-class international style skyscraper and this could have been it (even if it would have been a Seagram clone). Aviva isn't bad I suppose, but it's nowhere near as nice as this tower would have been. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
^^ I agree - wrong site for such a tower as usual too short anyway. Stirlings building is an abomination- a true carbuncle on the face of a old friend - I just wish that they had left the original victorian building there- even if they had 'death masked' it (that is retained the exterior facades and rebuilt the interior) Another London bodge up!

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Diana, Princess Of Wales Memorial Bridge
FAT (Fashion, Architecture Taste)
Bankside, 1997

This pedestrian 'living' bridge was a forerunner to Foster's Millennium Bridge we have today. Concepted as part of a linear park linking the South Bank with St Pauls, the bridge would be grassed with trees and flowerbeds at random intervals. The lyrics to Elton John's Candle In The Wind, a tribute re-recorded for Diana's funeral, would be engraved on each side of the bridge.

I think I'm going to be sick.

·
Registered
18,918 Posts
1 Poultry is the only decent Post Modern building in London (+ UK?). If you stand in the middle of bank it works marvelously well, in a holistic way that the tower proposal would not have managed in a thousand years. You could also argue that it fits in better than the fussy Victorian building it replaced...

·
Premium Member
18,785 Posts
1 Poultry is the only decent Post Modern building in London (+ UK?). If you stand in the middle of bank it works marvelously well, in a holistic way that the tower proposal would not have managed in a thousand years. You could also argue that it fits in better than the fussy Victorian building it replaced...
I built better designs out of lego when I was nine

·
Registered
676 Posts
i agree

61 - 80 of 190 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.