1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dam! Just imagine what, FED-EX is going to do for the area when it is built, that's the real reason thier thinking about trying to setup shop there.

Thats exactly what I was thinking...they want to be close to the FedEx hub even though the headqaurters will be in Raleigh. People just dont realize what this hub is doing for the Triad. It attracted a computer plant (Dell) in Winston-Salem and it helped attract a Honda jet factory and world headquarters in Greensboro and now it could attract a computer plant in Greensboro and the hub is under construction...It hasnt even opened yet......just wait til this downtown mega project happens.....I hope ;) Greensboro is going to be on a roll!!!!!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How did Greensboro get the Fed-Ex thing exactly? Incentives?
Greensboro beat out Raleigh, Charlotte, Greenville,SC and Columbia, SC back in 1998 for the FedEx hub due to the city's central location and interstate infrastructure. lawsuits from residents nearby the airport tried to stop the hub...They did slow down its construction because it was suppose to be open in 2004....now it wont be open til 2009. But the state did offer a massive incentive package for the hub.

·
8,235 Posts
Greensboro beat out Raleigh, Charlotte, Greenville,SC and Columbia, SC back in 1998 for the FedEx hub due to the city's central location and interstate infrastructure. lawsuits from residents nearby the airport tried to stop the hub...They did slow down its construction because it was suppose to be open in 2004....now it wont be open til 2009. But the state did offer a massive incentive package for the hub.
I didn't know Greenville was in the competition for it. I don't like competing with other cities, but I wish we would of gotten it. Our airport is struggling currently with high fares and a low number of passengers. How big is it going to be compared to Memphis Fed-Ex hub?

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
cityboi, I would be extremely skeptic with Lenovo. So far, they have done the exact opposite of what they promised in order to get the incentives and stay in the Triangle. Guilford County should do lot of investigation before giving Lenovo anything at all. Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Raleigh's little sidekick Cary didn't help the cause, with all their whinning about the plane's noise and other selfish concerns but anyway. I think the state did the right thing this Fed-EX hub is still going to help the Triangle and North Carolina out alot, and help merge our two Metro's in the Future in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just a correction....a few bloggs got it wrong. It looks like they are looking at building a distribution center and not a manufacturing plant.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
another correction...I found out that there will be minor manufacturing operations going on. While it will primarily be a distribution center, there would be some computer assembly going on. The company is only asking for $154,000 for incentives and salaries would be alittle higher than Dell. The computer maker is making this move because U.S. sales rose 4%. While there is a potential to move manufacturing jobs aross seas in the future, distribution jobs would remain because the company has to have a way to circulation its products across the US.

·
The Secret Word Is:
387 Posts
The site is actually located in the small town of Whitsett, near Burlington, NC., off I-40/85. It will employ 47 people. The incentive package is only $154,000 from the county. Construction will start as soon as possible.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The site is actually located in the small town of Whitsett, near Burlington, NC., off I-40/85. It will employ 47 people. The incentive package is only $154,000 from the county. Construction will start as soon as possible.
yup..but they refer it to Greensboro. It technically in unincorporate limits, otherwords in the county. Greensboro does have a proposal to expand its water sewer out that way. I use to work for Dana Corp in that same industrial park. Even though it is technically its just southwest of Whitsett it was always addressed in Greensboro and they called it the Greensboro plant...sorta like the speedway in Concord. people say its Charlotte even though it in Concord. But regardless I think it would be a boon for the area as the Triad becomes more and more hitech :)

You can see Greensboro will have alot of territory to annex in the future. The plant will be located in the industrial park just south of Sedalia on the otherside of I-85/40. If Greensboro annexed everything within the cyan colored future city water boundary, It would be about the geographical size of Charlotte. Those water boundaries kinda gives you a peak into the future where Greensboro will expand its city limits. When Greensboro annexes all the way to Sedalia/Whitsett, downtown will be geographically in the center of the city and Greensboro will be about 25 miles from the far western edge of town to the far eastern edge of town. on the map you can see areas annexed by Greensboro that are like little islands in the eastern part of the county.

http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/NR/rdonlyres/4753EAFE-4E2F-4744-86A0-C638FCE8F7DA/0/watersewermap.pdf

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
I bought a Lenovo laptop last month, and it is an excellent computer! I was amazed to hear it was headquartered in North Carolina. Sounds like good news for Greensboro.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts