SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Menkes Developments
Page + Steele/IBI Group Architects

By grey on UT.

Here's a rendering posted by Adam Vaughan on flickr.

Posted on April 21, 2010 by Ed007Toronto on UT.

Alan Menkes, President of Menkes Developments, and Barbara Lawlor, President of Baker Real Estate, launched Menkes' swank new Pears on the Avenue project yesterday evening at their new sales office located at the southwest corner of Avenue Road and Pears Avenue.

The sales office, impressively decked out by noted designers Munge Leung, includes an attractive model suite.

Guests are being given first crack at sales, in advance of the city's realtor community.

The sleek, modern, glass clad design by Page + Steele/IBI Architects, features stone facades for the podium's townhouses facing onto Pears Avenue. The Avenue Road frontage will include retail at ground level.

The 20 floor building will feature only 133 suites, priced in the $700 per square foot range. Many suites feature spacious L-shaped Living Room-Dining Room Kitchen combinations.

Common areas, already featured in an earlier UrbanToronto report, include a double-height lobby with dramatic spiral staircase, a spa featuring a pool and whirlpool, a fully equipped gym, yoga space, luxurious cabanas, a party room and wet bar with adjacent catering kitchen, a landscaped and furnished outdoor terrace, a guest suite, a boardroom, and finally, a screening room: Pears on the Avenue is designed inside and out for the modern lifestyle.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
It doesn't break new ground aesthetically/architecturally but it's tasteful and restrained. Given the price point, it should turn well with good materials.

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
I actually like this side of it a lot. If that's exposed steel then it will ad some nice texture to the streetscape. the backside we'll never see.

·
Banned
2,629 Posts
The steel frame is interesting; I wish they extended that part into the sky instead of the typical glass. I also wish they chopped off the slabby rear half of the building too. And the retail component has the fine urban grain of a car dealership. If this project was under 10 stories tall, I'd totally see it fitting in with the condos-above-big-box-store trend on Cambie St in Vancouver, especially with the townhouses facing the side street. Might have something to do with slope being a factor for once in a Toronto project, lol.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I really like the steel frame. Too bad there aren't more setbacks. I love the side facing Avenue Road. But the side facing (Pears av?) looks generic.
I'd lose the silly overhanging roof on the podium.

·
Moderatee
1,096 Posts
my only problem with the podium (roof) is that it does not share the same consistent architectonic of the tower's faux beam framing.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts