Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say you had the choice to live in different cities for different stages of your life. What would you choose. Here is my example:

From Birth to 12 years old:

Milwaukee - Small enough, but cultured enough. Beautiful and very interesting and close to one of the greatest cities in the world which is next:

From the Age of 12 to 18

Chicago - Any city that is highly cultured I feel is very important for adolescents. Chicago is not boring to teenagers like the suburbs or small towns maybe. Teenagers might even find cities like Tampa and Charoltte boring to them. In Chicago there is enough to do, and plenty to see.

From 18 -22

Austin - UT is great, and Austin is one heck of a town. I feel the Austin is a lot of fun for a college student, and offers many of the amenties that a large to decent sized city can offer. Austin won't bore you, neither will it overwhelm you. Besides, I think everyone can live in the welcoming south for a little bit. I am sure though four years in Austin is enough.

From 22-30

San Francisco - Like Chicago, very cultured, only much more beautiful naturally. Personally this is a city I am dying to live in. Like Chicago, San Fran is an urbanist dream. Dense enough, pretty, cultured, diverse, and not overwhelming.

From 30-40 (When I begin to have kids)

Madison - I would want to raise my kids in a safe, and nice city, somehere in the down to earth Midwest. Madison offers a lot, and is a great place to raise a family. But as soon as my kids start high school we are going south to:

From the age of 40 - Retirement

Chicago - I would want my children to experience this great city as I believe any person should.

From Retirement - The Day I die

San Diego or Miami - Either one, it is just nice to retire somewhere where it feels like you are in a true city, and gives you a feeling of a beachside paradise, but is not as hectic as San Fran, or Chicago (though Miami is not all that laid back). I could sit by the beach and then remember all the great cities I lived in.

What would you choose?

·
Registered
255 Posts
For me:

Birth to college grad

Boston. I grew up here and love it plain and simple. From the sports teams to the universitys, i could never imagine growing up anywhere else.

22 to mid 30's

New York/Chicago. These two are easily interchangable for the second slot. Both are world class cities and are IMO (nothing more) the top two in the country. I would be blessed to live in either of them in that stage of my life.

mid 30's to mid 40's

San Fransisco for its natural beauty and community mindedness it seems to have.

mid 40's to 50's

Melbourne. Because it's cool!

Retirment

Back to Boston (well Cape Cod/islands). Natural beauty and peace and quiet in the winter. Frequent traveling though.

·
EffSizzle
160 Posts
interesting topic...

From birth to 18...

Redmond, WA. Beautiful suburban town, close to Seattle, great schools, great athletics. Wonderful place to raise a family.

18-22...

Honolulu, HI...

Attend school if you choose, but I was thinking more along the lines of taking this opportunity while still young to just hang loose and let it all out.

22-40...

NYC. 'Nuff said.

40-65...

Back to Seattle. One of the healthiest job markets in the entire nation, start a family around 40 (see my Redmond post), take full advantage of our still healthy housing market, make $$$ and save up for retirement.

65-death...

Phoenix, AZ. Golf, golf, sunshine...and oh yeah, more golf!!!

:banana: :banana:

·
Banned
568 Posts
From Birth to 18 years old:
Wash DC - cultured with a generally well educated population

From 18 -22
Miami - the beach would be great after midterms and finals

From 22-40
NYC - no other city in the usa offer as many amenities

From 40-retirement
San Fran - educated populous and liberal atmosphere

After retirement
San Fran or Seattle - sit back and enjoy the landscape with a cup of coffee

·
The Jive is Alive.
1,537 Posts
New York City IMO the ultimate city of the USA that affords opportunities and amenities that surpass any other, so that is where I'd choose for the most exhilirating urban experience.

For every day convenience, afffordability, access to culture and amenities and overall quality of life, I think St. Louis and cities like it (Pittsburgh, Baltimore, etc) are absolutely perfect: big enough to have everything need, yet digestible.

·
Premium Member
30,812 Posts
Strictly IMO, and only cities in the US.

Childhood:
Probably New York. The city is a great place to be when young. It's literally a place where no kid can get bored, it's also nice not having to worry about expenses, which are more important here than in most cities. LA seems like another good contender in this respect, in my opinion.

College Years:

Boston. The country's college town. Need I say more? SF, DC, Chicago and Seattle could also alternate. A big city with plenty of urbanity that you can enjoy without breaking the bank (unless adding tuition and Room/board).

Adulthood
Probably move it a little down south to Atlanta. Personally, it's a cool place to raise a family. Big houses, big yards for half the price what you can find in the Northeast corridor. Places like Dallas, Houston, and Charlotte can be alternatives here.

Retirement
I'd probably stay in a warmer-climate area because being old and dealing with snow isn't fun. Unlike all the old people around here who move to Florida, I would move to Hawaii! :D

·
Kulia I Ka Nu'u
954 Posts
1 years old to death......

Honolulu, Hawaii
Highest rated U.S. city, won 2004's best livable large city in the world by the U.N. and other awards.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TenRot, do you really think that going to school in Chicago, San Fran, Seattle and D. C. are not going to break the bank alone while at college? Trust me, all the college students in Chicago live around the school in general, which none of the college neighborhoods in Chicago are particularly cheap. I'm sure the same goes for San Fran esp. Cities like Austin, Madison, Raleigh, etc. give more bang for the buck in terms of cheapness.

I agree Chicago, San Fran, Seattle, and D.C. are probably some of the best places to go for college, they will come out expensive, along with the tuition. DePaul tuition (although it is private): 24K, room and board: 9K. If anything it is more expensive to actually rent out an apartment in DePaul's surrounding area. I couldn't imagine how it is for San Fran.

·
metrocard millionaire
1,257 Posts
depends

either New York or Philadelphia

thats actually what i'm dealing with in my life at the moment

but when I get older say 40 or 35, i'd like to go out to California or something. Just someplace where I don't know anyone.

·
Premium Member
30,812 Posts
TenRot, do you really think that going to school in Chicago, San Fran, Seattle and D. C. are not going to break the bank alone while at college? Trust me, all the college students in Chicago live around the school in general, which none of the college neighborhoods in Chicago are particularly cheap. I'm sure the same goes for San Fran esp. Cities like Austin, Madison, Raleigh, etc. give more bang for the buck in terms of cheapness.

I agree Chicago, San Fran, Seattle, and D.C. are probably some of the best places to go for college, they will come out expensive, along with the tuition. DePaul tuition (although it is private): 24K, room and board: 9K. If anything it is more expensive to actually rent out an apartment in DePaul's surrounding area. I couldn't imagine how it is for San Fran.
Yes, that's why I said, unless adding tuition and room&board.

While those are annoying, it's better to go to those cities when you only have to deal with school expenses instead of dealing with the otherwise expensive cost of living that everyone else has to deal with.

I'm not too sure about Chicago, SF, or Seattle, but Boston and DC are past the level for a college graduate to live comfortably unless they make a high wage starting. Again, stricly IMO.

·
Banned
1,781 Posts
okay from birth to 12 years of age i would live in Chicago
and from my teens i would live in L.A. Tho im still a teen. L.A would be a very
fun and exciting. I already live their lol but im talking about places like hollywood and downtown los angeles. Because i dont live the LOs angeles urban life wish i could. BUT I HAVE TO WAIT LIKE 5 more years

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
cradle to grave - chicago

ideally my ghostly spirit would also be allowed to hang around here to further add to the haunted legacy of the windy city.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
For me, I would like a city that combines the music, theater, museums and clubs of New York, the weather of Honolulu, the ethnic/cultural mix of Toronto, the proximity to the mountains of Denver or Calgary, the beaches of Miami, the food of San Francisco, and houses on lots big enough to have a backyard with a little wildlife, a few first rate universities, nationally respected hospitals, and the theme parks of Orlando wouldn't be bad either.

Obviously, no one city has all of that, but Los Angeles/Santa Monica comes close enough for me.

·
The Place
1,137 Posts
For me, I would like a city that combines the music, theater, museums and clubs of New York, the weather of Honolulu, the ethnic/cultural mix of Toronto, the proximity to the mountains of Denver or Calgary, the beaches of Miami, the food of San Francisco, and houses on lots big enough to have a backyard with a little wildlife, a few first rate universities, nationally respected hospitals, and the theme parks of Orlando wouldn't be bad either.

Obviously, no one city has all of that, but Los Angeles/Santa Monica comes close enough for me.
Amen!! LA just have so much going it's just an amazing place. I'm totally absorbed with this place that for the moment I can't think of living anywhere else.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts