SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
-----------
18,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ancient Thracian city of Perperikon is located in the Eastern Rhodopes, 15 km northeast of the present-day town of Kardzhali, Bulgaria, on a 470 m high rocky hill, which is thought to have been a sacred place. The village of Gorna Krepost ("Upper Castle") is located at the foot of the hill and the gold-bearing Perpereshka River flows near it. Perperikon is the largest megalith ensemble in the Balkans.

It is thought that the famous sanctuary and oracular shrine dedicated to Dionysus of the Bessi was situated there.

·
Super Moderator
11,283 Posts
Has anyone visited it yet?
It appears to be magnificent, especially the view from above, imagining yourself being back over 3 millenia ago

·
Banned
410 Posts
Has anyone visited it yet?
It appears to be magnificent, especially the view from above, imagining yourself being back over 3 millenia ago
I visited Perperikon and Tatul last August and it was impressive, really.
As for Perperikon itself, the guide said that initially it was a Thracian settlement, including a sanctuary.Later the Romans used it as watch tower but in the Middle Ages it became a fortress from big importance whose possession changed several times between Bulgaria and Byzantium.At the end Ivan-Asen conquered it and settled numerous Bulgarian population in the region.The walls date back to 11th-12th century but I`m not sure though and it might be a bit earlier.After conquering Bulgaria the Ottomans destroyed the fortress and used the stones from the walls for the construction of some fortification in the valley.
There were several churches, actually only their remains.The only preserved church was destroyed in the 40s by the communists who used the place for killing their political enemies by throwing them into the precipice.
However, my attention was attracted by a throne which was hewn into the rock and it was in very good condition!There was one very big reservoir which was fully preserved.Unfortunately, I bought my new camera about a month later and I can`t post pics from my visit.

·
Banned
9,467 Posts
I find that Perperikon is one of those places that really needs to be visited in order for one to like it.

I remember that the first time I saw pictures from Perperikon, I really wasn't impressed and couldn't understand why people found it so nice. For me it was only a bunch of rocks.

When I went there a couple of years ago, I truly loved it. It is the whole atmosphere around it and the size of the rocks once you see them in person.

·
Banned
9,467 Posts
Перперикон привлече 225 000 туристи през 2008 г.

225 000 души са посетили Перперикон през 2008 г., съобщи вчера археологът проф. Николай Овчаров. Данните са на Института за изследване на туризма.

През 2007 г. един от най-известните археологически обекти у нас е посетен от 185 000 души, което значи, че туристическия поток през миналата година се е увеличил с 45 000 души.

Това е нормално и ние вече свикнахме с този туристически възход, посочи проф. Овчаров в сутрешния блок "Добро утро, България" на радио Фокус - Смолян.

Той съобщи още, че през месец февруари ще бъде направена първата копка за изграждането на посетителски център към Перперикон.

Парите за изграждането му - 220 млн.лв., са осигурени от държавата, а договорите за строеж са подписани преди Коледа. Проектът за посетителския център бе предвиден за финансиране от ЕС, но след това бе спрян.

Продължителността на проекта е 18 месеца, като през 2010 г. центърът трябва да е готов заедно с реставрацията на Перперикон.

Според проф. Овчаров рекламата на археологическите обекти у нас е на нулево ниво и в това отношение Агенцията по туризъм не си върши добре работата.

След няколко дни ще се проведе туристическо изложение в Москва, за което ние не сме уведомени, посочи проф. Овчаров.

Като отделни личности ние правим каквото можем за рекламата на археологическите обекти у нас. През ноември и декември имах лекции в САЩ, където представих Перперикон, паметниците и археологията в България, добави Овчаров.

След три дни проф. Николай Овчаров ще участва в президентската делегация в Япония и Виетнам, където също направи презентация.

Без да има политика на държавата по отношение на рекламата, нищо няма да се получи, заключи проф. Николай Овчаров.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts