SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
original
1,219 Posts
it's better not to see the aerials with the 2 sticks sticking up like sore thumbs. not impressive

·
I love Australia
82 Posts
When you have train lines in the median strips of major high ways. woudlnt that be too unsafe to do ? what happens if the train derailed. and also what happened if there was a big crash(which there always is on major highways) and the car or truck was on the train line, not only could it jeapourdise the safety of the train and the passengers but it would cause delays ??

am i right here ?

·
Here
6,589 Posts
Its no more dangerous then having cars/trucks driving over rail lines at rail crossings?

And anyway the lines are protected by barriers as you can see in the photo. Infact the train line in this photo has been in operation for some 15 years and there hasn't been a serious problem yet.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fox1 said:
it's better not to see the aerials with the 2 sticks sticking up like sore thumbs. not impressive
would also be pretty boring if every tower was the same size without some landmark towers that stick out

·
original
1,219 Posts
no but my point is that 2 sticks sticking out like that.. and then, for all intents and purposes, not a whole lot... there"s something wrong with the aerials. The skyline is nice from the water, very nice. But a city needs more than one little street of scrapers (with 2 big ones in there)

·
Banned
Tremendous
8,579 Posts
^^

There is plenty of cities with less and the street is not little, it runs a long the Swan river - waterfront property in Perth is very popular. Certain angles make the city street look shorter than it really is.

When the river front runs out of room then the density will grow. But every city has landmark buildings, so whats wrong with these? A couple more to go along with them would be nice.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Perth does indeed look very photogenic and beautiful when viewed from across the Swan river. But when viewed from the other side, it looks kind of dull, and the aerial shot actually shows how small the CBD really is. The city definitely needs alot more density, and I hope it will achieve it sometime in the not too distant future.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
most the buildings going up atm are going up of st geroges terrace so the pushing east and north of the skyline has begun

·
original
1,219 Posts
ryan79 said:
^^

There is plenty of cities with less and the street is not little, it runs a long the Swan river - waterfront property in Perth is very popular. Certain angles make the city street look shorter than it really is.

When the river front runs out of room then the density will grow. But every city has landmark buildings, so whats wrong with these? A couple more to go along with them would be nice.
maybe, ...don't quite get my point.

I love the 2 killer towers in Perth.

Both have always been up there as among my faves

·
Banned
Tremendous
8,579 Posts
So your saying it just needs to fill out a bit more rather than these buildings standing out so much? I agree with that

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts

Is that a Harry Seidler building on the left? That grey tall one. Looks like a building similar to the one in Brisbane.

·
original
1,219 Posts
yes, there's a plague of them

they all have that same wonderful, drop-dead gorgeous mix of white concrete

...correct me if i am wrong

·
Here
6,589 Posts
Yes it's his famous QV1. And when it was built in 1992 won the Royal Australian Institute of Architects Best Design for a Commercial Building (over $200 mil) of that year.

·
original
1,219 Posts
like the monoliths in 2001: A Space Odyssey. they pop up everywhere. Only the monoliths were interesting-looking

·
I said love, I said pet
1,691 Posts
SkyBoy said:
Perth does indeed look very photogenic and beautiful when viewed from across the Swan river. But when viewed from the other side, it looks kind of dull, and the aerial shot actually shows how small the CBD really is. The city definitely needs alot more density, and I hope it will achieve it sometime in the not too distant future.
Agreed. I have always thought that the Perth skyline viewed from the north is like looking at its backside. Even the back of QV1 resembles butt cheeks. Many major towers are orientated to 'face' the water and Kings Park and the biggies on St Georges Terrace obscure all the wonderful mid-rises between them and the Esplanade.

The view of the CBD while coming down the Mitchell Fwy is shameful whereas over the Narrows its spectacular!

·
Canadian eh!
3,513 Posts
This one?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts