SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Weather Observer
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A powerful cold front slammed Perth early monday morning spawning 2 noticeable tornadoes and possibly a third. The BoM even said there could have been up to 20-30 tornadoes along the line of severe thunderstorms but some only lasting 20-30secs hence hardly anyone would have knopw about them.

Ive been having a big squiz at all the info I can find, pics, vids etc news reports. I saw the ch 7 one and its clear that Bicton copped the worst of anywhere. TEXTBOOK tornado. Just have a look at that damage to the school! It is horrificly bad, one building or a couple of buildings just mangled like matchsticks, most carried away leaving a slab and yet one building in betwene it all perfectly intact and by the looks hardly touched at all!!!! As it pans to the baskteball court u can see tree remains scattered like broccoli!!! insane! but terrible for those who have had their belongings destroyed etc.

The Bunbury one looks strong with the damage etc i'd rate that one a high F1 low F2 and the Bicton one a strong F2 with winds pushing 180-200km/hr for structural damage like that to occur. It looks like the vortex touched down right above there, and lifted over the untouched building.

Here is the story that aired on ch 7 news, the damage from the aerial shot is insane. http://media.seven.net.au/asxgen/BBR/aap/0505/tmpt1116239364_a0516_1800_7an_tornado_h.wmv.asx

·
Watch my Chops
6,033 Posts
A few tree's were lying around in the my town in the hill's. Not much other than lot's of rain and lightning.

·
Watch my Chops
6,033 Posts
Plus we have another front coming TM. Im going fishing this thursday on a 55 foot boat up north next to 75 meter cliffs the wind is going to be nut's so mabey we might to go into shark's bay to get out of the wind.

There was a story of a air conditioner being ripped of the roof of a shop thrown down the street, then the wind came through the air conditoning and blew the window's out. Than's insane.

·
Registered One.
451 Posts
Dont know if it was a tornado, but three house's on my street had there roofs ripped off and we had half a fence in our front-yard. It was kinda fun!!

·
Banned
306 Posts
we had **** all and i love so close to the ocean its not funny (across the river sorta from bicton), the bad areas in bicton where near some people i go to school with and the funniest one was theres a park there and all these massive trees where uprooted and in straight lines.

the only thing that happend here was that someones recycling bin fell over and glass bottles went all over the road.

·
Weather Observer
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, more coming with another powerful cold front, expect a higher chance of flash flooding with this one due to the saturated soils from the last one. Also severe gusts and a possible tornado or two are again possible.

The last one had a mixture of what is called straight line winds (all uni-directional ie west to east) and embedded vorticies, or tornadoes which prolly caused the more significant damage such as the Bicton Primary school which was pretty much destroyed in parts, it is now being estimated that the winds over there reached 250km/hr and no straight-line winds get that strong, so a tornado was clearly the culprit here.

But where u said the trees were all down in a row is more likely straight line winds, uprooted and blown over from sustained strong wind from one direction rather than the sudden and very violent twisting nature of the winds from a tornado which would cause the trees to snap off half-way up....I also saw a norfolk island pine tree that had half its limbs sheared off on one side and the other side untouched nearly!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts