Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's one of my pet peeves:

I was holiday shopping yesterday night and came home very annoyed. I have been taught to always hold the door to accomodate the person behind me and reciprocally, to say thanks when the door is held for me. Well I realized yesterday that this courtesy isn't as displayed as it used to be. Numerous times, I held the door and several people ushered through the door without even looking at me. I would normally not think about it too much but that night I became so exasperated that I began to say YOUR WELCOME (DE RIEN) very loudly!!! :tongue:

That's it... I feel better now!

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
1. - People who ride their bikes on the sidewalk. It seems to be worse in Chinatown then anywhere else. If you over the age of 16 do us all a favour and get the hell off the sidewalk. It's also the law.

2. Aggressive drivers from the 905 (and outer burbs). Driving downtown like they are on some wide pedestrian free road out of the core. Little respect for anybody not in a car. Leaning on their horns when people are on patios trying to enjoy dinner, and not seeming to care that people might live near by. Chasing other drivers down at breakneck speeds along busy pedestrian streets just to give somebody the finger. People with anger issues or a heavy foot should stay off our roads please.

3. Old, Fat and parents with strollers on the TTC during rush hour. You slow everybody down, if you don't need to set your appointments until later in the day please do us all a favour. Also crazy and stinky people. BTW before you say I shouldnt't poke fun with the next video please note that one of my friends was this lady's case worker and it's all a big act. Not sure the point of the act but it is one. Also one year she was sitting on the sidewalk in CabbageTown in a skirt flashing her cooch to the world. I feel sick just thinking about it.

4. 20-30 something perpetual panhandlers, not the crazy ones but those that seem to have chosen this as a career path. In Toronto they can be found working shifts in front of Shoppers Drug Mart, the LCBO/Beer Stores, and holding doors open in the P.A.T.H. if they are smart enough to work in shifts, show up to panhandle everyday, and do it year after year I don't feel sorry for them at all. How about getting a real job and start paying some taxes. Along with this pet peeve I hate the people that give them money.

5. Fat people feeding fatty and sugary food to fat kids. Getting health bennefits because of their wieght issues. Blaming bad knees, backs, and diabetes on genetics and not their fatness. Riding scooters, when asked they'll say they need it because they had surgery when really they had surgery because they are fat. Cabbagetown has a gang of these fatties people call the Cabbage Town Cadillac Club, lol if only they knew. And getting handicap stickers so they can park closer at the mall. Give them a fatty sticker, make them walk a little extra it will do them some good.

Seriously, I have no time for the Circus Fat.

Other then that and certain douche bags out there, nothing bugs me :)

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
That little kid looks a bit buzzed from breathing the fumes....
if that had happened to me I would have grown up afraid of red faced clowns for the rest of my life.

I was holiday shopping yesterday night and came home very annoyed. I have been taught to always hold the door to accomodate the person behind me and reciprocally, to say thanks when the door is held for me. Well I realized yesterday that this courtesy isn't as displayed as it used to be. Numerous times, I held the door and several people ushered through the door without even looking at me. I would normally not think about it too much but that night I became so exasperated that I began to say YOUR WELCOME (DE RIEN) very loudly!!! :tongue:

I've done the same thing!! hehe... or, when someone pushes their way in front of me I'll say: "No, really... you go first. I insist. You look like you are in a Big Hurry".

Last week on the sidewalk, a guy walked past a woman begging for money, and said very nicely: "Nah... I'm okay, thanks!" and kind of waved his hand a bit at her cup as he breezed by.
She looked stunned... and after a moment said: "NO!!! YOU are supposed to give money to ME"!!! :lol:

·
39,827 Posts
'My bad': since when is it acceptable to take cues from toddlers. Let's see, I'll imitate my 2 year old who hasn't learned verbs or pronouns yet. :eek:hno:

'theatre' vs 'cinema': they are 2 different words for a reason. The one showing films is a cinema. The cinema industry started calling their facilities 'movie theatres' because it sounded more sophisticated. Shouldn't we learn our English in English class rather than the marketing department of the cinema industry?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Is this supposed to be pet peeves about other people or about everyone, everythng and every number.

Okay:

1. Cramped toes that are hard to stop cramping: THAT ANNOYS ME! It happens the most when my toes are trying to wamrs up. :mad:

2. Hard-to-uncurl fingers: Ever curled you're fingers and it felt liek they were locked there? Yeah, welcome to my world.

3. Assholes: This is one of those door holding stories. Okay, so last month i was opening the door for some people right? Well, some cliche diva chick decides when I open the door for HER while she's RUNNING TO IT. She's gonig to be a ungrateful bitch and say "Eww." Well, I responded enough to make her look embrased because everyone knew I was talking about her. I shouted at the top of my lungs "Well, THANK YOU ASSHOLE OF THE DIVA WORLD #1!"

4. OLD DRIVERS: Everytime there's some driver who stops, go, stops, go. It's 95% an OLD DRIVER! 3% it's women, 2% it's a male student driver.

5. DIVAS: You know why. No exceptions.

·
Terminator
8,920 Posts
for starter let me say this:I am very easy and neutral to be around people so little that people do affecting me.But I have three things that I feel strangely uncomfortable and a bit upset (just a bit).

1) imaging the sidewalk just about a metre and haft wide and 4 people walked side by side towards you,about haft metre front of you they still pretend that you are not even exist and keep walking until I have to stop aside.

2) people staring you at public places.why can people just glance someone if they like what they see just come over to say hi instead.

3)people line up behind you at the cashiers,please do not stand too close to people front of you till I can feel you breathing on my next and I can tell what you just had for lunch.

Here is it,I just said it and have a wupply Christmas and Happy new year!

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
^^ Yes, what is with people who seem to think anything in their path is invisible?
A pet peeve of mine: people who pay for a pack of gum with interac, and slow down the whole lineup. Also, people who pay for a pack of smokes with a credit card.
There!! And Have a Very Merry December 24-Dec 30th time frame, and a Happy December 31st!! :D

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
I don't like credit cards but I like the people who use them, especially pay pass. The worst is elderly people paying in cash, spending 10 minutes to get exact change.

I also hate cashiers who move really slowly. I have 14 things, it should not take 2 minutes to scan it all.

·
39,827 Posts
1) imaging the sidewalk just about a metre and haft wide and 4 people walked side by side towards you,about haft metre front of you they still pretend that you are not even exist and keep walking until I have to stop aside.
I hate that too. My strategy is to come to a complete stop without moving to one side at all. That usually gets there attention, but about 35% of them are stunned that I didn't dive into the street to avoid them. 10% of them just walk right into me. Keep your body really taught, and brace for impact. You'll remain standing during the collision and they'll get a nasty bump. Sometimes they get mad, but when you tell them that you were standing still in one spot they tend to move along.

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
Although it is minor, and quite rare: people in wheelchairs who demand to bypass the lineup and go straight to the clerk/teller. I always think: "Wow, is sitting in a chair for five minutes really more difficult than standing and waiting?". There is something rather chauvinistic about assuming people in wheelchairs cannot wait in line.
I try to be patient with the elderly who take forever to make transactions. They are often lonely, and chat away with tellers as a kind of socializing.

You'll remain standing during the collision and they'll get a nasty bump. .
I've done that, too. Or else loudly announced: "AM I INVISIBLE???" as they blindly approach. I stood my ground and one rapidly waddling mother and daughter convoy bulldozed into me on a narrow sidewalk where I was standing beside an iron fence. The mother shrieked at me for not getting out of her way, and I gave her my opinon of her in return! hehe.... that was fun! :D
Government workers are THE WORST. On their very liberal lunch breaks, they tend to march down sidewalks in flocks of two or three abreast, expecting everything to fling itself out of their way. These ones I loudly wake up by loud announcements just before they reach me, or just brace for impact and let the chips fall where they may.

People who jaywalk in front of a cyclist, as if the bicycle was invisible. These I usually honk a horn at, or yell: "WAKEY WAKEY" to bring them out of their trance.

Motorists who cut off cyclists in the right lane, and then immediately slow down to make a right turn.
Motorists who use the right lane of streets like Yonge as their temporary parking lane during rush hour.
Motorists who angrily honk their horn at cyclists because they refuse to respect them as a vehicle that follows the same rules of the road as themselves.
Motorists or Cyclists who chat on their cellphone.
Motorists or Cyclists who feel their mission is just that much more important than an ambulance or fire truck and insist on squeezing across an intersection before them, despite
the sirens. Sorry if this offends anyone, but more often than not I notice that women are more likely to try and hurry across than male drivers. I've banged on a few windows to wake people up on a number of occasions, and saw this happen yesterday on College. An ambulance had to slow and allow a car to cross the intersection, where it then stopped and had to wait because of backed up traffic.
Motorists who refuse to allow any other car to blend into their lane of traffic when part of the road is blocked out. Yielding to other cars in an orderly fashion is part of a driver's
responsibility.

·
Registered
8,015 Posts

I'm right there with ya! It's amazing how rude people can be. Americans are especially bad about this! I would say my pet Peeves are that and people who don't return calls, or atleast in an acceptable amount of time!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.