SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Situated on one of the most valuable properties in the Tampa Bay area is POK airport. I couldn't help but imagine what redevelopment opportunities there are for it, even if it be in the early, speculative examining phases. So when I googled it, and I found this: http://www.fccdr.usf.edu/project/15...he-potential-re-use-of-peter-o-knight-airport

I am unfamiliar with stuff such as this, but could this lead to the possibility of it being redeveloped in the future. And besides mentioning "waterfront community" could the Port play a role, and possibly could this even be considered as a home for cruises too?

I hope I didn't go too far out on a limb creating this thread, but I thought besides speculation, could this lead to more substantial news?

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
Although I strongly believe POK won't be going anywhere in the next 30 to 40 years, the picture beyond 40 to 50 years from now may very well be different.

The same can be said of MacDill AFB.

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
^^
I don't know Jason. If the winds change at MacDill 30 to 40 years from now via BRAC, it's possible that an small airport may replace it, and thus replace POK in the process.

MacDill isn't staying open forever unfortunately. You can't rule out this type of possibility.

·
Senior Button Pusher
17,147 Posts
IIRC, several million in federal funds has been spent at POK in recent years. As always, if the airport is closed, that has to be paid back. Additionally, the residents of Davis Islands would never support any degree of intensive development that would make it worth tearing up the airport. And any ancillary benefits possible downtown are unknown, if they exist at all at this point, and would thus not be part of the equation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts