SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Centre for Community Study has launched a petition to convince the Canadian Broadcasting Company to establish local television and radio stations in Hamilton.

Hamilton is the largest urban region in Canada without a local CBC presence, despite the continued contribution by Hamiltonians, through their taxes, to CBC’s operating budget.

Currently, the federal government is considering CBC expansion at the local level. Given that this city is the largest underserved market in Canada, expansion into Hamilton should be at the top of CBC’s priority list.

To express your support for CBC in Hamilton go to http://www.communitystudy.ca/cbc.htm to sign an online petition.

·
Registered Idiot
1,671 Posts
The CBC's thinking in this is probably, Hamilton=Toronto.

I'll sign the petition though, because why the hell not.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CBC Toronto doesn't cover Hamilton. You won't hear the word "Hamilton" on CBC Toronto.

You would be a little ticked off if you’re forking money out of your own pocket for absolutely no service and is treated as a foreign city.

·
....kay?
550 Posts
there isn't a cbc station in victoria...it's in vancouver...

anyway, i believe that hamilton does deserve one because of it's size.

·
Registered Idiot
1,671 Posts
hmmm ok, many people in the country don't see a return in their money though. I spend half my time in Cobourg, pay taxes, and don't get a Cobourg CBC, same could be said for much of the country. I do agree Hamilton should have its own station though.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I thought that Hamilton was a suburb of Toronto. At least that is what my Toronto friends tell me! :jk:

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hamilton has 1 television station called CH, which was the first English language independent television station Canada. Then recently it was purchased by Global.

·
Registered
695 Posts
DrJoe said:
The CBC's thinking in this is probably, Hamilton=Toronto.

I'll sign the petition though, because why the hell not.
lol.

·
Registered
973 Posts
*Jarrod said:
CH tv in Victoria sucks. i hate watching it. same with the New VI..

but hamilton needs more tv!

I dont live on the island but I watch the Victoria channels and its not bad for a small market. If I lived on the island I would watch CH or VI over a Vancouver station for news since it would be more local.

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
Victoria now does have a CBC station. It was the last capital city in Canada to get one.
I think Hamilton should get a CBC station. But you think you get jipped????HA! We have almost no VIA rail service in all of western Canada. Do you knoww you cannot get to Calgary on a train??? We share your pain.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ssiguy2 said:
Victoria now does have a CBC station. It was the last capital city in Canada to get one.
I think Hamilton should get a CBC station. But you think you get jipped????HA! We have almost no VIA rail service in all of western Canada. Do you knoww you cannot get to Calgary on a train??? We share your pain.
lol Hamilton got it worst, we have no VIA station and add on top of that no CBC, not even a CBC website.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Used to have a VIA station at LIUNA station, before LIUNA purchased the building it was called Canadian National Railway Station. Mulroney cutbacks to VIA made Hamilton a victim.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts