SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pharaonic inscription found in Saudi Arabia

RIYADH: The Saudi Commission for Tourism and Antiquities (SCTA) announced Sunday that Saudi archaeologists have discovered an ancient hieroglyphic inscription mentioning an Egyptian pharaoh on a rock near the ancient oasis of Tayma, Tabuk province. The discovery, about 400 km north of Madinah and northeast of the ancient Nabatean site Madain Saleh, marks the first confirmed hieroglyphic inscription discovered in the Kingdom.

"The rock was bearing an inscription of King Ramses III, one of the kings who ruled ancient Egypt from 1192 B.C.to 1160 B.C.," said SCTA Vice President for Antiquities and Museums Ali Ibrahim Al-Ghabban at a news conference on Sunday at the Commission on National Museum.

Al-Ghabban said the discovery was made in July. Since then researchers have posited that Tayma was on an important land route between the western coast of Arabia and the Nile Valley. Recent discoveries at the site prove Tayma was inhabited as far back as the Bronze Age (2,000 B.C.). The trade route has been used by caravans for centuries to carry goods such as incense, copper, gold and silver.

"The route connected the Nile Valley, Port Qulzum, the city of Suez, and then went by sea to Srabit near the port of Abu Zenima on the Gulf of Suez, where the archaeologists found a temple dedicated to King Ramses III, then across the Sinai Peninsula, where they also found several inscriptions similar to that found in Tayma," said Al-Ghabban.

The land route passed through Aqaba, Jordan, where similar inscriptions have been discovered.

The find comes at a time when Saudi Arabia is working to implement a policy of promoting the country's oft-ignored historical sites, especially pertaining to its pre-Islamic period.

Tayma is mentioned in ancient Assyrian texts dating back to the 8th century B.C. and referred to numerous times in the Hebrew Bible. Babylonian King Nabonidus spent 10 years in Tayma. His royal complex is currently being excavated. Last year a fragment of a cuneiform text mentioning Nabonidus was discovered there.
http://arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article182756.ece

Very interesting discovery! First Archeological Ancient Egyptian discovery in the Kingdom.

Raises a question, Did Ramses's empire extend this far?

·
Fairouzy
7,872 Posts
^^ That is extremely interesting!!! I just hope they will invest heavily in tourism to that area!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Are the ancient egypts of arab origin or another race ?

Could you please explain this further to an idiot Arab? As far as I know, the word Arab doesn’t refer to a particular race otherwise how the Babylonians, Old Egyptians, Assyrians, Phoenicians, and Canaanites …. vanished?

·
Registered
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ancient Egyptians were NOT Arab. The Arabs only arrived in Egypt in the 7th Century. And quite frankly, I wish they never did.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
^^ Why?

Because the only Egyptians I've ever met that have said what your saying have been Coptic.

Please don't tell me your historic aspirations is because of the religion you follow? You should be more pluralistic than that.

·
سعودي
1,149 Posts
^^ it's pointless to say that, Mesch + aren't you a proud 3enezawi arab ? I believe most if not ALL 3enezawis would disagree with you on this particular issue ( I'm assuming, of course, that you were not being sarcastic in your previous comment ) .

And I second *UofT* , the only ones who say that in Egypt are Coptics , I've never met a an Egyptian muslim who would say that .

·
Djibouti
6,136 Posts
Nice find, hope they study it more and promote the historic heritage of the Kingdom.

The find comes at a time when Saudi Arabia is working to implement a policy of promoting the country's oft-ignored historical sites, especially pertaining to its pre-Islamic period.
Glad they're finally doing it. It was stupid to pretend there was nothing before Islam. Hope the old, bearded "scholars" don't interfere with this. Those guys have a mentality from another age, I bet if it depended on them, they'd destroy this kinda stuff :eek:hno::eek:hno:

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
^^ it's pointless to say that, Mesch + aren't you a proud 3enezawi arab ? I believe most if not ALL 3enezawis would disagree with you on this particular issue ( I'm assuming, of course, that you were not being sarcastic in your previous comment ) .
What particular issue? O wesh 7eshar al3neizawiyeh ihna? And why are you generalising on all of them?
Anyways - I said that because I personally believe that the Egyptian influence on the Arabian culture through history -in general- wasn't that of a good one.

·
سعودي
1,149 Posts
I thought you meant the other way around (Arabian influence on Egypt), sorry :)
as for "al3neizawiyeh" :D , the first thing that comes to my mind when i see your username is "Onaizah", with all its conservativeness and deep Arabian traditions . you strike me as someone who doesn't fit that stereotype at all ( that's what I get from your comments here and there ) .

anyways , it's good that the SCTA is promoting theses discoveries , History is important and should not be ignored .

·
Banned
7,953 Posts
Nice find, hope they study it more and promote the historic heritage of the Kingdom.

Glad they're finally doing it. It was stupid to pretend there was nothing before Islam. Hope the old, bearded "scholars" don't interfere with this. Those guys have a mentality from another age, I bet if it depended on them, they'd destroy this kinda stuff :eek:hno::eek:hno:
True !! there has been some historic churches that were bombarded by air right after discovery ! unlike the ones in Bahrain & Qatar (they were preserved by burying them in sand)

·
سعودي
1,149 Posts
"bombarded by air" ? by whom ? could you elaborate further ?

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Ok, I know the country is rich in nutjub resources but "bombarded by air"?
AFAIK Saudi Arabia's historic churches (or what's left of them since most are ancient ruins) are all preserved, the Nestorian one in Jubail, the few ruins in Nejran and the Portuguese Catholic one in Jeddah (which is the most recent and the most well-perserved).

·
Registered
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^^ Why?

Because the only Egyptians I've ever met that have said what your saying have been Coptic.

Please don't tell me your historic aspirations is because of the religion you follow? You should be more pluralistic than that.
And I second *UofT* , the only ones who say that in Egypt are Coptics , I've never met a an Egyptian muslim who would say that .
First of all, its not due to any religious reasons, I am atheist. However I believe in Egyptian Nationalism, and completely reject the idea of "Pan Arabism" if that helps.

Second of all, I said Ancient Egyptians are NOT Arabs. ANCIENT Egyptians, and not modern day ones. The Ancient Egyptians are the indigenous people of Egypt, and have been there thousands of years before the Arabs came to Egypt. It is undisputed, that the Ancient Egyptians are not Arab.

But since you brought up Modern Day Egyptians. They are also not Arab IMO. We Egyptians were never originally Arabs, and never should be.

Ever heard of "Pharomism"? "Pharaonism" has its roots in the 19th century and rose to prominence in the 1920s and 1930s. It looked to Egypt's pre-Islamic past and argued that Egypt was part of a larger Mediterranean civilization. This ideology stressed the role of the Nile River and the Mediterranean. Pharaonism's most notable advocate was Taha Hussein. It became the dominant mode of expression of Egyptian anti-colonial activists of the pre- and inter-war periods

In the words of Oxford University historian H. S. Deighton: The Egyptians are not Arabs, and both they and the Arabs are aware of this fact. They are Arabic-speaking, and they are Muslim —indeed religion plays a greater part in their lives than it does in those either of the Syrians or the Iraqi. But the Egyptian, during the first thirty years of the [twentieth] century, was not aware of any particular bond with the Arab East... Egypt sees in the Arab cause a worthy object of real and active sympathy and, at the same time, a great and proper opportunity for the exercise of leadership, as well as for the enjoyment of its fruits. But she is still Egyptian first and Arab only in consequence, and her main interests are still domestic.

Heard of Taha Hussein? ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taha_Hussein ) The most influential Egyptian writer and intellectual of the 20th century?

Quoted from him (please read it all):
Pharaonism is deeply rooted in the spirits of the Egyptians. It will remain so, and it must continue and become stronger. The Egyptian is Pharaonic before being Arab. Egypt must not be asked to deny its Pharaonism because that would mean: Egypt, destroy your Sphinx and your pyramids, forget who you are and follow us! Do not ask of Egypt more than it can offer. Egypt will never become part of some Arab unity, whether the capital [of this unity] were to be Cairo, Damascus, or Baghdad.[28]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptians

I completely agree with that quote. It was only until Abdel Nasser came along, that he tricked Egypt into this idea of "Arab Nationalism".

I said that because I personally believe that the Egyptian influence on the Arabian culture through history -in general- wasn't that of a good one.
If you don't mind me asking, how so?

But im not gonna lie, I also think that Arab influence has been disastrous for Egypt. Especially the Wahabi/Salafi influence that started in the 1970s. Ruined our once tolerant, secular society. The profound influence of religious extremism on Egypt, coming from the east, is to me, nearly as bad as Cancer.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts