1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EXCLUSIVE: NEW £2M STAND PLAN FOR IBROX
Exclusive
By Keith Jackson
RANGERS are set to splash out £2million on a redevelopment of Ibrox that will make room for another 700 season ticket-holders.

Record Sport has learned bulldozers will move in immediately after the final home game of the season to begin work on the extension to the stadium's Govan Stand.

A new cantilever construction will be added between the existing top and bottom tiers of the stand, taking the ground's capacity to 51,200.

Included for fans who snap up the £900-a-season seats in the new section will be membership of a pub, named Bar 72 in honour of Rangers' European Cup- Winners' Cup triumph, which will also be built into the Govan Stand. Chairman David Murray is expected to announce the development later this month.

·
Banned
48 Posts
The new capacity will be 51444, as 100 seats will also be added to the main stand. The Club will relocate the Press Box in the Main Stand to a new, extended Press Gantry creating 100 prime season ticket seats at the back of the stand.

The upgrade should bring in about 1 million a year in revenue - well worth the 2 million for the upgrade if you ask me.

·
1,236 Posts
bulldozers? I thought it was an expansion of a current tier, I can't see much demolition work being done.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Its AlL gUUd said:
and then when do celtic start with their redevelopment so that they have a higher capacity?
Celtic's long-term plans involve replacing the old main stand with a new one, which will be at least the same size as the rest of the stadium. If the new stand was the same height and proportions as the rest, the stadium would have a capacity of approximately 75,000.

Unfortunately this won't be happening in the near future.

·
Registered
44 Posts
asdfg said:
Celtic's long-term plans involve replacing the old main stand with a new one, which will be at least the same size as the rest of the stadium. If the new stand was the same height and proportions as the rest, the stadium would have a capacity of approximately 75,000.

Would love to see a 3 tier monster south stand at Celtic Park.

·
Cute but Psycho...
6,378 Posts
asdfg said:

my post was meant to be sarcastic but thanks for the info

·
Craaaaaazy Mutha F^cka
1,102 Posts
Its AlL gUUd said:
my post was meant to be sarcastic but thanks for the info
Pretty pathetic trying to provoke a response to be honest!

Celtic Park will join Ibrox as a five star stadium when it is finally completed!

Not too sure about the three tier plans for Ibrox, I think it is more likely two or three more thousand will be added to ibrox by digging down as opposed to adding tiers. I think for Rangers 55 - 60K is sufficient!

·
Registered
452 Posts
true and false....

they did indeed add a third tier increasing the capacity to 115,000 in the early 80's

but in 1994... (taken from the official nou camp website.)

"Remodelling of the first tier of terracing. This work, undertaken over the summer of 1994, lowered the field of play by 2.5 metres to increase the capacity of the lower tiers. Seating was introduced in the areas behind the goals and the security moat around the field was eliminated"

·
Cute but Psycho...
6,378 Posts
gorgu said:

Celtic Park will join Ibrox as a five star stadium when it is finally completed!

Not too sure about the three tier plans for Ibrox, I think it is more likely two or three more thousand will be added to ibrox by digging down as opposed to adding tiers. I think for Rangers 55 - 60K is sufficient!
i thought both clubs were in debt

·
Banned
31 Posts
gorgu said:

Celtic Park will have to be rebuilt before they change the main stand. It was built so cheaply that the materials have a 20 year lifespan. That means in about 15 years the whole stadium will have to be rebuilt!!

They will not change the main stand until then as they know this!! Celtic Park has no stars and will not have any for at least 15 years!!

There are no concrete plans to add 3rd tiers to the 3 Ibrox stands. It would be cheaper to knock them down and start again. There is no 2/3 phase plan. The work in the summer (increase to 51500) is the only definite planned work.

Barcelona added 3rd tiers AND dug down.

Celtic are about £30 million in debt, Rangers almost now have no debt due to the JJB deal and Murray putting in £50 million. Rangers debt is now about £8 million.

·
Local man
424 Posts
It's pretty useless to put up links 'proving' Celtic Park is either 4- or 5-star, as pefectly reputable sources saying both things are readily available:

5-star: http://www.uefa.com/magazine/news/Kind=128/newsId=18479.html (notice this is a UEFA site, which adds some credability).

4-star: http://www.stadiumguide.com/stadiumstars.htm

As for Mr. Tennant's comments, I think he should re-read the information in the guide he posted. It states minimum requirements. So of course any stadium with a capacity greater than 50,000 can be either 4- or 5-star (or have no star rating), dependent on its fulfilling the other criteria.

The guide also states that 'A stadium is only added to the list when the stadium owner applies for hosting a UEFA Club Competition Final'. If this accurate describes UEFA's stance, there is therefore a difference between being of 4- or 5-star quality, and going through the formal process of being added to some list possibly kept in a vault in UEFA headquarters. Being of 4- or 5-star quality is obviously the important factor - gaining the official status is a formality.

This is dragging the thread off topic, so if people really want to discuss Celtic Park a new thread should be opened.

·
Banned
85 Posts
Celtic Park is NOT 5 star. It was a mistake by whoever wrote that article for the website. Not one stadium site lists it as 5 star, and neither do Celtic!!

It is impossible for a stadium over 50000 to have 4 stars. 5 stars is for stadiums over 50000 that meet the requirements, 4 star is for stadiums under 50000 that meet the requirements.

The link you posted does not mention Celtic Park and their list of 4 star stadiums is totally wrong!!

http://www.stadiumguide.com/stadiumstars.htm

The two 5 star stadiums in Glasgow are Hampden Park and Ibrox. You can even email Celtic and they will tell you that.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.